October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Board Game Trailers

More
16 Nov 2021 00:00 #328003 by oliverkinne
The first and, at least to me, most impressive ...

We're used to seeing epic movie-style trailers for video games. They feel like million-pound productions that were directed by a famous Hollywood director with a cast of blockbuster actors. Of course, these are all animated sequences, often showing in-game footage, which makes sense, because modern 3D video games look very realistic and are often set in an epic conflict of some sort. Board games are a bit different though, but because CGI and 3D animation have become so highly accessible these days, many crowdfunding campaigns and some board game marketing campaigns feature these amazing looking videos.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2021 09:32 - 16 Nov 2021 09:46 #328004 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Board Game Trailers
Years back there was a video for a bar game where the goal was to roll balls (maybe tennis ball size? it's been a while) off the far end of the table while your opponent tried to do the same and you could both block with your arms. All in all, the game looked like crap. But the video was more like one of those paid advert shows on late night tv full of customer testimonials and action shots of people playing the game in rockin' bars with everyone cheering them on.

In short, the video, which probably cost $1000 to make (maybe $2000 with free beer for the bar) kind of kicked ass and used a tried and true formula for getting people to purchase. The game looked pretty awful.

I'm just surprised you don't see more of that kind of video in this industry, particularly for games like Magic where the club scene is such a big part of the draw. Three guys with a Go-Pro and some release forms could knock one of these out in a weekend. Seems like such fertile ground.

Love this topic by the way. Looking forward to seeing other people's recs for casual viewing.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2021 09:46 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Nov 2021 09:41 #328005 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Board Game Trailers
My first published game was a simple haunted house card game called House of Spirits. This was back in 2010. Leading up to its release at Origins that year, the publisher, Lock 'n Load, asked me out of nowhere to make a trailer.

I had absolutely zero experience with this kind of thing. They put exactly zero dollars behind it. I literally learned how to use Windows Movie Maker in order to produce a simple "trailer" that was really just some art stills set to an open source piano track, and some titles. The end result was certainly nothing special. Kickstarter was still not a thing, so I wasn't competing with CMON.

More
16 Nov 2021 09:45 #328006 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Board Game Trailers
Personally, if anyone less than Hasbro or FFG spends ANY money on a glitzy movie of their boardgame, I'm mad because that could have been some cooler dice, better cards, a proper editor of the rule book, or a hundred other things that would have made the game BETTER. I can't argue with a video of overly gleeful, attractive, properly diverse young adults playing the game, but if it has some sort of "in game" experience with animated characters battling it out I just shake my head.

Certainly "saturday morning cartoon" (a moment of silence for this long abandoned cultural ritual) commercials to sell games as toys to children gets a bit of a pass since kids are kids but no functioning adult should be swayed by a fancy movie of a board game.

More
16 Nov 2021 09:49 #328007 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote: . . . or a hundred other things that would have made the game BETTER.

The publisher has a far simpler definition of "better".
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, hotseatgames, birdman37

More
16 Nov 2021 10:19 #328010 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Board Game Trailers
This is the best trailer (actually more of a video review) that I have ever seen for a board game:

But I think that a trailer is generally the wrong way to market a board game, because most of the action, as it were, is taking place in the minds of the players, and that doesn't translate at all to a visual medium. However, a trailer might work for a game with a heavy social aspect, some actual physical action (like a flicking game), a party game, or maybe a game with colorful and interesting physical components.

For some examples of why trailers don't work for most board games, check out one of the numerous tv commercials for Magic: the Gathering. Hasbro incidentally acquired Magic when they bought the North American distribution rights to Pokemon, but they had no idea how to market Magic to a wider audience.

More
16 Nov 2021 11:50 #328013 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Board Game Trailers
How apropos. YouTube has spent the last week trying to sneak in cinematic trailers for Magic’s Innistrad release on Arena, pretty similar to what you linked. It’s high-quality stuff, at least the five seconds I see, but focused on ton, setting and drama over gameplay.

I do wonder at the exclusion of anything related to the actual cards and game. A passerby on the street would reasonably assume this was for a movie or tv series, not a game. Would a sixty-card pile of cards seem a little ridiculous juxtaposed to those production values? Arena’s digital environment can even be a lot flashier than someone shuffling or rearranging their hand.

More
16 Nov 2021 14:41 #328016 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Board Game Trailers
I am struggling to think of a single trailer I have even seen, let alone thought was good. Where do you see them? Even on kickstarter pages I never watch anything.... is that where they are? Do like the Dice Tower or whatever put them into their content?

More
16 Nov 2021 15:34 - 16 Nov 2021 15:35 #328019 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Board Game Trailers
Primarily on Kickstarter pages, but if you follow publishers on social media or youtube you can see them there.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2021 15:35 by hotseatgames.

More
16 Nov 2021 16:40 #328020 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Board Game Trailers
Oh yeah, of course, that makes sense. I just tune all that guff out :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
16 Nov 2021 16:41 #328021 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Board Game Trailers
Call me old man yelling at the clouds, but the overwhelming majority of gaming video "content" is just way too fucking long for the amount of actual INFORMATION it conveys. Unboxing videos lead the charge in this category of course, but the few videos I've watched in other categories like playthroughs are just as bad. I click on the link, see the run time is some obscene amount of time, and just close the tab.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Nodens

More
16 Nov 2021 17:36 #328023 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Board Game Trailers

Msample wrote: Call me old man yelling at the clouds, but the overwhelming majority of gaming video "content" is just way too fucking long for the amount of actual INFORMATION it conveys. Unboxing videos lead the charge in this category of course, but the few videos I've watched in other categories like playthroughs are just as bad. I click on the link, see the run time is some obscene amount of time, and just close the tab.

Same here. I skip both videos and podcasts about games, because they waste so much time getting to the point. I prefer reading, because I can read quickly and a writer might even do a nice summary or at least some bullet points to emphasize the important stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample, Nodens

More
16 Nov 2021 21:56 #328025 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Board Game Trailers
As bad as board game cinematic trailers can be, anyone remember when we used to get cinematic BOOK trailers on TV? Holy crap those were lame.

More
17 Nov 2021 14:14 - 17 Nov 2021 17:06 #328042 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Board Game Trailers
So this is also a thing with comic books now. It's also lame.

Last edit: 17 Nov 2021 17:06 by boothwah. Reason: added the example that popped up on my feed today

More
17 Nov 2021 19:39 #328054 by Sagrilarus

boothwah wrote: So this is also a thing with comic books now. It's also lame.

They actually said “non-stop thrill ride”.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds