October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror The Card Game: the greatest deck construction introduction of all time… if you can get there.

More
30 Sep 2021 13:33 #326880 by DarthJoJo
m.imgur.com/a/6d8UPCQ

So they did decide to sprinkle in some more new art on player cards in the revised core set. You can see and compare them at the above link.

I’m glad to see more investigators clearly featured on card art as it makes the universe feel more unified, but a lot of these feel like lateral moves to me. The new art isn’t bad but neither was the original.

New investigator art feels like a real downgrade. Really? You’re going to improve on Magali Villeneuve, one of Magic’s premier artists? Not a huge fan of the 3/4 body shots over the close ups, either.

Have to try and squeeze a few boxes out of the established players, I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2021 14:36 - 30 Sep 2021 14:38 #326884 by Gary Sax
I don't like the new investigator art, happy with the current stuff as you said. The Wendy stuff is extra creepy to me. Only one that stuck out to me as a big improvement was the unexpected courage one which is fun.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2021 14:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
30 Sep 2021 14:38 #326885 by Dr. Mabuse
Looks like they wanted to tone down the blood and in the case of Hard Knocks alcohol consumption.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
30 Sep 2021 14:43 #326886 by Gary Sax
Yeah, the "emergency aid" change which is, admittedly, kind of a gross card... I didn't think of the alchohol thing, you're right. That is pretty cheesy tbh.

More
30 Sep 2021 15:34 #326889 by DarthJoJo

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Looks like they wanted to tone down the blood and in the case of Hard Knocks alcohol consumption.

That occurred to me, regarding alcohol, but there are literal cards for Liquid Courage and Tennessee Sour Mash, and there is a rum running investigator. Is the line actually drinking it?

More
More
01 Oct 2021 15:04 - 01 Oct 2021 15:05 #326926 by Kmann
I'm generally pretty disappointed with the new art. Many cards have a thematic disconnect - Hard Knocks being a prime example but also Will to Survive is up there.

There's others I don't like, and some of the new investigator cards don't wow me, but it's not all bad; the new Deduction is great, I like the new Wendy's Amulet and, as mentioned, Unexpected Courage.

Art aside I'm more disappointed by the removal of the blood, gore and the adult nature of the art like - shock horror - someone swigging some booze and how the characters in the new art tend to look more empowered than horrified.

I'm hoping this is just for the core box and isn't a sign of the game toning things down and going more PG. That's never worked out well when movie franchises have tried it.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2021 15:05 by Kmann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars

More
02 Oct 2021 03:44 #326935 by thegiantbrain
Well as you say here the third part of that set of scenarios is notoriously not very good. I do think the first two are fine. They could have taken this opportunity to tidy it up, change the last scenario, streamline things. The main issue with the new core is that it really could have done with a long hard look at the cards in there, swapping out some of the ones seen as duds for more interesting choices and generally building a much more interesting card pool to build from.

I generally applaud them going in this direction release wise, but it just feels a little lazy. Shall we actually produce a new starter set that is dynamic and interesting? Nah, let's just double the player cards in there and call the job done.

More
02 Oct 2021 08:35 #326936 by DarthJoJo
www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comment...e_15_xp_cards_newly/

It looks like they added in some more xp and level 0 options outside the original box to expand deck building and upgrade paths, too.

I don’t know. I see what you’re saying, but this is the same core box that has made this game as popular as it is, just better. This box and a few starter decks is a pretty complete experience without going hard on campaigns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Kmann

More
02 Oct 2021 09:54 - 02 Oct 2021 09:54 #326937 by charlest

Gary Sax wrote: Cole Wehrle referenced this review in the monthly Leder stream and I swooned. He attributed it to Charle Theel but that's another compliment tbh.

Ugh, sorry that happened. Although, I wouldn't mind being given credit for this review. It's a great piece. I was happy to see it do so well at BGG.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2021 09:54 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Kmann

More
14 Oct 2021 13:57 #327185 by ubarose
I've been meaning to comment on this for a while. I have to agree 100% that purchasing the 5 investigator decks really cracked this game open and made so much more fun. Like probably 300% more fun. The investigator cards added with each cycle keeps the deck building and "character development" interesting.

When we hit the 3rd cycle, with all the cards from the investigator packs, plus all the cards from the core and 3 cycles, is when I hit the WOW! point. Now I really want to go back and replay the earlier campaigns with different investigators.

If you are doing the math, it took $300+ for this game to really shine. It was a worthwhile investment for me, because I spent the money over a 3-4 year period, $15 at a time, so it was almost painless. But more importantly, I have a built in partner to play with, and we go through periods when we will play multiple times a week. So it is probably my most frequently played game.

Another thing to note, is that organizing all these cards also requires an investment of time and/or money. You are likely to end up purchasing the "Return To" sets, or some other card box storage solution + dividers. I just recently spent an entire rainy day printing and laminating dividers, and organizing cards in order to get our enormous collection under control, and streamline set up/clean up and deck building. And we only own 3 of the cycles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

More
14 Oct 2021 15:02 - 14 Oct 2021 15:14 #327193 by Gary Sax
The investigator packs are such good products in addition to their card base add utility, their themes are really fun riffs on directions to build characters (Harvey=big hand, Stella=fail forward, Jacqueline=token bag manipulation, Nathaniel=fighting with events, Winni=gamble on skill checks).

It is *painful* how bad the base investigators are compared to them.

ps: someday if covid recedes and people can see each other we'll have to play AH LCG together in person, uba :laugh:
Last edit: 14 Oct 2021 15:14 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
14 Oct 2021 16:28 #327198 by ubarose
Another thing, the rule that you have to pay experience points to swap out zero point cards also makes it hard to get into the game as a new player. We threw that rule out the window for the first campaign or so, because it really sucks to be halfway through a campaign and realize that you screwed yourself by making uninformed choices at the very start. It gave us the freedom to flail through the deck building, and learn by trial and error.

So I would certainly advise beginners to ignore that rule and tune their deck between scenarios as they get a better handle on how things work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Oct 2021 18:23 - 14 Oct 2021 18:26 #327204 by Gary Sax
Incidentally, I was talking about this on discord, but I think it's good for the "why would I play a scenario more than once?" question that naturally comes up when people think about how friggin expensive this game is.

I am really hyped for the new Guardian character, the mechanic:
arkhamdb.com/card/08001

Basically she's a tank archetype from MMOs who pulls enemies and soaks damage, so you should stack their deck with a ton of counters and dodges and stuff. It's a cool direction for the game they explored a little bit with some of the events and such in the guardian card pool. Using her instead of, say, Mark Harrigan (a bog standard fighter) is *totally* different in terms of optimal card loadout and best use of a similar card pool. Even adding a single character makes me want to replay content I've already played a couple times because it would play out so differently in terms of technique. And this is for a really straightforward character class (kill stuff).
Last edit: 14 Oct 2021 18:26 by Gary Sax.

More
15 Oct 2021 11:27 #327220 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: Incidentally, I was talking about this on discord, but I think it's good for the "why would I play a scenario more than once?" question that naturally comes up when people think about how friggin expensive this game is.

Oh, gosh. Yeah we play through scenarios multiple times. Particularly the the first few in a campaign, when trying out new characters. We not only have to figure out how our characters and decks work and interact with the scenario/campaign, but also make sure the two characters work together. I don't use other people's deck lists, because it is more fun to figure that out for yourself. I mean, to me, that's the biggest part of the game. So we will often play the first scenario or two a few times to get everything working. We have even played the first couple of scenarios and decided that our characters don't work together at all, and started over from the beginning with new ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds