October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Hadrian's Wall - Punchboard Reviews

More
26 May 2021 00:00 #323452 by adamr
In Hadrian’s Wall, you are a Roman general, tasked with...

Garphill Games’ first big release for 2021 is here, and it’s a flip-and-write game. The roll/flip-and-write genre has traditionally been fairly light in terms of complexity, and the games are usually expected to be filler material – good for a quick play but not the sort of thing to bring people to the table for. We expect them to be light, because most of the something-and-write games are light, so it’s great to see a well-known publisher break the status quo and show what’s possible.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2021 11:48 #323464 by ubarose
This sounds intriguing, but YIKES those boards look like headache inducing spreadsheets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook, adamr

More
26 May 2021 19:47 #323477 by Sagrilarus
So . . . just marking boxes? I don’t mean that as a knock on the game, more of an attempt to understand how it plays. Cards? Dice? Action Points? Is there anything that rattles your plans?

More
26 May 2021 20:11 #323478 by jason10mm
So how many sheets does it have? 'Cause I ain't playing a game unless I can get at LEAST 100 plays out of it :P

A couple of years back some of those roll n'write solo games made the rounds here and I really enjoyed them. You are absolutely correct that there is some sort of undeniable satisfaction to physically marking off stuff versus pushing a cube higher on a track or whatever. And the very light setup footprint is nothing to scoff at either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamr

More
26 May 2021 20:19 - 26 May 2021 20:58 #323479 by Gary Sax
Great review.

Edit: it's a roll and write, Sag, so generally those are about an initial roll and the distributing and/or manipulating those dice to accomplish goals.
Last edit: 26 May 2021 20:58 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamr

More
27 May 2021 02:13 #323480 by adamr

Sagrilarus wrote: So . . . just marking boxes? I don’t mean that as a knock on the game, more of an attempt to understand how it plays. Cards? Dice? Action Points? Is there anything that rattles your plans?

It's a flip and write, so each round you flip two cards. One gives you resources (people and stones to spend, to tick off boxes), the other gets added to your player board to give you a goal to score towards.

I think I mention that under the photo of the cards, but in fairness maybe I should have explained a bit better.

The thing which rattles you are the attacks after each round. Part of what you're doing is building defences, and after each round some cards are flipped (the number depends on your difficulty level) , and you suffer penalties if you can't defend them all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
27 May 2021 02:18 #323481 by adamr

jason10mm wrote: So how many sheets does it have? 'Cause I ain't playing a game unless I can get at LEAST 100 plays out of it :P

A couple of years back some of those roll n'write solo games made the rounds here and I really enjoyed them. You are absolutely correct that there is some sort of undeniable satisfaction to physically marking off stuff versus pushing a cube higher on a track or whatever. And the very light setup footprint is nothing to scoff at either.

As it happens, there are exactly 100 sheets in each pad :)

Crossing out boxes is a very personal thing for some reason. I cross that box out, which means that I can cross this box out, then I get these bonuses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
27 May 2021 07:44 #323483 by Sagrilarus

adamr wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: So . . . just marking boxes? I don’t mean that as a knock on the game, more of an attempt to understand how it plays. Cards? Dice? Action Points? Is there anything that rattles your plans?

It's a flip and write, so each round you flip two cards. One gives you resources (people and stones to spend, to tick off boxes), the other gets added to your player board to give you a goal to score towards.

I think I mention that under the photo of the cards, but in fairness maybe I should have explained a bit better.

The thing which rattles you are the attacks after each round. Part of what you're doing is building defences, and after each round some cards are flipped (the number depends on your difficulty level) , and you suffer penalties if you can't defend them all.

Thank you! And do all players take their turns simultaneously?

More
27 May 2021 09:51 #323488 by adamr

Sagrilarus wrote: Thank you! And do all players take their turns simultaneously?

They do, yes. When you use the market spaces, you can actually pass resources to your neighbours, and they can use them in that turn. In solo play there's a deck that just has fresh cards flipped each round, and the traded good adds another invader at the end of the round.

More
27 May 2021 10:28 #323493 by Gary Sax
Well there you go, I was wrong as hell.

More
27 May 2021 12:12 #323501 by adamr

Gary Sax wrote: Well there you go, I was wrong as hell.

Not really, just a step removed. Instead of the dice saying what you can do, the card says 'take 1 black, 2 purple, 1 yellow, 2 blue and a stone', then you spend those crossing them off.

Some of the things you've crossed off might give you extra things at the start of each round too.

The principle is the same, it's just a card flip instead of a dice roll.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds