October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

On the Workbench - Where Humans Don't Belong - An Interview with Mark Chaplin

More
01 Apr 2021 11:00 #321571 by Sagrilarus
So when I looked this game up (credit card in...

A few months back I stumbled across a game that was being spoken of in the same breath with Voyage of the B.S.M Pandora, an old magazine game from a couple of decades back that left quite an impression on me when I played it. It left so much of an impression that I looked to this new second game, Where Humans Don’t Belong and gave it the benefit of the doubt. It is like having your name mentioned in the same breath with Willie Mays. Even if they’re saying “he ain’t no Willie Mays” you take it as a win. Just that someone thought to compare you puts you in very rare company, and the best thing you can do is let them speak. There’s no sense interrupting.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2021 12:03 #321572 by Shellhead
The game sounds amazing, and I just realized that I haven't had a White Russian in decades.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
01 Apr 2021 12:22 #321575 by jason10mm
No kidding, my last one was at a cousins wedding when I was in college!

Anyway, this game sounds great. How has there not been a Star Trek games like this already (though this sounds superficially kinda like a few of them).

The make or break for games like this for me are twofold. 1. How fiddly are the rules? Games like this tend to have a lot of very situationally specific instances that require frequent rule book consultations. I don't want every decision boiling down to "roll the dice and beat this number" simplicity but nor do I want an encyclopedia of rules.

And 2. does it tell a compelling story with risk/reward decisions I can at least guesstimate beforehand? Nothing kills a solo game like the random chance of a game ending card popping up with no way to mitigate it. There is a delicate balance between "roll with the punches" randomness and "don't push your luck" mechanics for me at least.

More
01 Apr 2021 12:54 #321576 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote: How has there not been a Star Trek games like this already

BITE your tongue.

More
01 Apr 2021 13:48 #321579 by ubarose

More
01 Apr 2021 14:29 #321585 by charlest
Great stuff. Excited about this one more than I.S.S. Vanguard.

More
01 Apr 2021 14:34 #321586 by Yugblad
1) Any off-angle rules are detailed on the relevant sector card or map. I don't want players looking at the rules AT ALL, once you've started play.
Other important rules that might be required are printed on the starship control gameboard.

2) There are no sudden death events or situations. I dislike these myself. You have many, many ways to overcome bad luck, but all require a sacrifice from the player:
*sanity loss (called Restraint in the game)
*lose your explorer robots, and vehicles
*sacrifice your own crew to save your skin, and the greater purpose
*pushing your training
*gain scars on bridge crew
*and lots of others!

3) The pre-launch page is up on Kickstarter, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Gary Sax, mezike, jason10mm

More
01 Apr 2021 14:49 #321587 by ubarose
You should be able to post it, unless Kickstarter blocks it some how.

Also, don't forget to submit a kickstarter announcement when you get closer to the date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Apr 2021 15:42 #321591 by hotseatgames
Definitely looking forward to this one.

More
01 Apr 2021 16:01 #321592 by Yugblad
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
02 Apr 2021 08:05 #321601 by fightcitymayor
For the record, I always enjoyed Revolver (and its expansions & sequel) back in the day. Fun little asymmetrical card game that I could always haul out for casuals and fans alike. It also had some solo rules at a time when that was kinda rare.

More
07 Apr 2021 09:33 #321747 by Yugblad
Yeah, one of the reasons REVOLVER did so well was because it was straightforward. But that worked against it with the expansions the publisher requested - the design was stretched beyond its capacity.

More
17 May 2022 19:23 #333104 by Sagrilarus
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
17 May 2022 22:05 #333106 by dysjunct

Shellhead wrote: The game sounds amazing, and I just realized that I haven't had a White Russian in decades.

Two weekends ago, my in-laws found out that one of the couples they hang out with have never seen The Big Lebowski. So they promptly scheduled a watch party and invited me, the only person under 65. White Russians were in abundance. They are pretty good drinks but high in calories, so relegated to special occasions, like listening to a bunch of senior citizens laughing their asses off at a two-decade-old movie.

But, the movie holds up, and so does the drink. I think one of the reasons why I like TBL (despite not seeing it for years before the other weekend) is that it mirrors the expectation vs. reality of D&D. In TBL, it’s a hard-boiled detective movie like The Maltese Falcon, where there’s competing narratives and everyone has an angle. Except instead of Sam Spade, you get a complete idiot and his moronic friends. In D&D, it’s set up like Conan or LOTR, except instead of Conan or Aragorn, you get a bunch of losers. In both cases, (mostly) lovable jackasses blunder their way through someone else’s worst day and just absolutely fuck it up. Good times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jason10mm, DarthJoJo

More
17 May 2022 22:10 #333107 by Sagrilarus
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, dysjunct, jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds