October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

It's on the Wall

More
09 Mar 2021 00:00 #320253 by Sagrilarus
It's on the Wall was created by Sagrilarus
Background -- my kids' high school shop teacher (it's a...

It's not exactly the first thing on your mind when you move into a new house but at some point you need to get the hulking piece of wood propped up against the bookself a proper place, and if it's a Crokinole board that likely means hung on a wall to see because, well, you damn well want everyone to know you have a Crokinole board.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2021 02:13 #320254 by mc
Replied by mc on topic It's on the Wall
Huh. Not having ever seen a board in real life it never occurred to me that the storage solution would be to hang it on a wall.

Maybe that's doable after all!

More
09 Mar 2021 07:23 - 09 Mar 2021 07:25 #320257 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic It's on the Wall
Thats great. Ive never played but every game con I've ever been to has some set up. There are some REALLY fancy ones out there. They would make for a nice coffee table centerpiece or wall art.

Did you ever consider 2 pegs at 4 and 8 o'clock and just rest the board on them? A bit more work on the wall i suppose and not as elegant an end result.

Clearly the STEM solution would have been an electromagnet mounted in the wall with a voice activated switch ('Crokinole ON!" to activate it, for example) that holds a plate mounted on the bottom of the board.

Probably mess with your lights/speakers and cause kitchen knives to fly across the room though :p
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 07:25 by jason10mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
09 Mar 2021 08:17 #320258 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic It's on the Wall
This was a fun DIY story, thanks!

More
09 Mar 2021 10:23 #320263 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic It's on the Wall
$50 is a good price for a well-built one of those. The kid who built it must not have played it.

More
09 Mar 2021 10:50 #320268 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic It's on the Wall

RobertB wrote: $50 is a good price for a well-built one of those. The kid who built it must not have played it.

I get the feeling that after spending an entire semester creating it (with virtually zero skills to start) you look at the board with a very different set of eyes. Every flaw speaks to the crafter in a much sharper voice than it does to the rest of us. He may have been happy to take the $50 and be done with it.

I'm not a guy that worries about the thickness of the cardboard or centering of the cards, so if I game is in playable condition I'm good to go. This board functions as it should, I have fun with the kids playing on it, so I'm happy as a clam to have gotten it for the price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Mar 2021 11:30 #320272 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic It's on the Wall

Sagrilarus wrote: Every flaw speaks to the crafter in a much sharper voice than it does to the rest of us.

Board game designer's motto right here

More
09 Mar 2021 12:06 - 09 Mar 2021 12:07 #320275 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic It's on the Wall

Sagrilarus wrote: Every flaw speaks to the crafter in a much sharper voice than it does to the rest of us.

This is why I am so reluctant to make items to sell, despite knowing that no one notices all the flaws that I think I see.

On topic, I really need to get around to making a Crokinole board. I’ve been saying this for years though. The plywood sheet would be enough for two boards. Maybe the first one could be a standard looking board for practice and the second one could be a bit more unique. I’d really like to do a Lichtenberg design in the four quadrants and fill it with resin.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 12:07 by Disgustipater.

More
09 Mar 2021 12:57 #320280 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic It's on the Wall
Sag's post has been hanging with me all day. I feel like it's the most profound thing that has ever been said in these forums.

More
09 Mar 2021 13:58 #320284 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic It's on the Wall
I bought one of Hilinsky's boards, a long time ago. Here's how they make them: hilinski.net/woodgamesold/howto/howto.html

From what I can tell, you'd better like sanding.

More
09 Mar 2021 14:10 #320285 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic It's on the Wall
I’ve had that bookmarked forever. It’s what I intend to follow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB

More
09 Mar 2021 14:20 - 09 Mar 2021 14:56 #320286 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic It's on the Wall
They aren't too difficult to make. I put together a couple last year. Routing something that large was a pain, getting the lines an even thickness proved a challenge, and my bending setup was a little too small for the task, but they turned out okay.

I can put one together for anyone who wants a custom board as long as you pay for materials and time.

(Edit: I don't know if I'm an idiot or what, but I can't seem to attach anything, but here's a link )
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 14:56 by Count Orlok.

More
09 Mar 2021 14:47 #320288 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic It's on the Wall

Sagrilarus wrote:

RobertB wrote: $50 is a good price for a well-built one of those. The kid who built it must not have played it.

I get the feeling that after spending an entire semester creating it (with virtually zero skills to start) you look at the board with a very different set of eyes. Every flaw speaks to the crafter in a much sharper voice than it does to the rest of us. He may have been happy to take the $50 and be done with it.

I'm not a guy that worries about the thickness of the cardboard or centering of the cards, so if I game is in playable condition I'm good to go. This board functions as it should, I have fun with the kids playing on it, so I'm happy as a clam to have gotten it for the price.

Reminds me of playtesting games. When it finally comes out, you’re so sick of it, its arrival is somewhat anticlimactic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames

More
09 Mar 2021 16:05 #320292 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic It's on the Wall
Nice article. I gifted myself a Muzzies board for my 40th birthday and now it hangs in the kitchen near the table. Everyone always thinks it's art not a game.
muzzies.ca/product/annapolis-tournament-board-2/
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
10 Mar 2021 12:10 #320336 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic It's on the Wall
Fun read SAG, thanks! Personally I have always been afraid to hang my board on the wall. It's just so heavy. If it came crashing down I would be incredibly upset.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds