October 09, 2023
2456 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

From the Depths: Shogun-Samurai Swords-Ikusa

More
25 Feb 2021 00:00 #319654 by Jackwraith
Milton Bradley's Gamemaster series of Axis and Allies, Broadsides and...

Possibly the best of the Gamemaster series, Shogun has lasted down through the decades because of a solid foundation.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, mezike, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2021 01:06 #319655 by Greg Aleknevicus
Fortress America also used d8s and d10s in addition to d6s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample, Jackwraith

More
25 Feb 2021 01:32 - 25 Feb 2021 01:33 #319657 by Andi Lennon
As a kid I used to see both this and 'Axis and Allies' on store shelves and I COVETED THEM SO HARD! Alas they were a bridge too far even at Christmas time. Fuck it, I'm going to eBay right now.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2021 01:33 by Andi Lennon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
25 Feb 2021 07:27 #319659 by jason10mm
Many, MANY hours of shogun under my belt as a kid, though it was the least played of the big three (A&A, FA, and shogun, never did play conquest or even see broadsides as a kid).

And those minis got repurposed A LOT. I even used them for a diorama of some battle with El Cid in a spanish class, which would either be heralded as diverse representation today or shamed as cultural appropriation, depending on the conjunction of the planets :p

I kinda miss those style of games. Big and sprawling but not super rules heavy. The only game in recent memory that evokes it is Conquest of Nerath.

And if you do go one ebay looking for this game, make sure it has the turn order katana things. Those fell off the game component list at some point (with Ikusa?).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, Andi Lennon

More
25 Feb 2021 08:49 #319660 by hotseatgames
This was actually my FIRST "real" board game. I was very young, and really into ninjas.

I don't know that we ever truly finished a game, quitting once when we got to the 6 hour mark. I sold it many years ago for a nice sum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, WadeMonnig

More
25 Feb 2021 08:58 #319661 by Jackwraith

Greg Aleknevicus wrote: Fortress America also used d8s and d10s in addition to d6s.

Oops. Dammit. I thought I remembered all of them pretty clearly, but obviously not. Gettin' old (and way too many games...) Oh, well. At least the dice in Shogun were exclusively d12s.

More
25 Feb 2021 08:59 #319662 by Jackwraith

jason10mm wrote: And if you do go one ebay looking for this game, make sure it has the turn order katana things. Those fell off the game component list at some point (with Ikusa?).

Yes, with Ikusa. They were still present in Samurai Swords; hence, the name.

More
25 Feb 2021 09:40 #319664 by Msample
Dropping the turn order swords was a big mistake IMO.

Its been ages since I played it. One advantage FORTRESS AMERICA has is that the game has a sort of built in turn limit - the combo of laser towers as well as the limited invader force pool means that games will come to a decision point around turn 7 or so . SHOGUN can tend to drag if players are dug in .
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jackwraith

More
25 Feb 2021 09:49 #319665 by Jackwraith
Absolutely true. It still had some of that lingering Risk element to it, where turtling positions could be maintained for longer than the game really deserved. I think the outlet was the ninja, since you could eliminate your opponent's best general and then make moves where they'd be less able to respond. Of course, they could try to do the same to you (on the same turn if you missed the roll), so it wasn't a guarantee by any means.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
25 Feb 2021 09:51 #319666 by Msample
Also, I wonder if the spell check kicked in on the article - wasn't the currency called "koku" and not "roku"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, hotseatgames

More
25 Feb 2021 09:58 #319667 by Jackwraith
Ha! It totally was. That wasn't even an autocorrect thing. I just used the TV system term and not the original game term, despite having the rulebook sitting next to me while I was writing. I've edited.

More
25 Feb 2021 10:19 #319670 by Gary Sax
I've grown to actually hate playing the games in this series, but they have that nostalgia place in my heart like many others here. Shogun is *not* one of these that I have played, though.

Great review.

More
25 Feb 2021 10:39 #319673 by jason10mm

Msample wrote: Also, I wonder if the spell check kicked in on the article - wasn't the currency called "koku" and not "roku"?

I was listening to a dnd podcast when i read this and my first thought was "wait what!?! There is magic in some edition of this game???"

Now i want a more fantastical themed version of Shogun!

More
25 Feb 2021 16:14 #319722 by n815e
Really the best of the series, I love this game.

More
25 Feb 2021 17:56 - 26 Feb 2021 09:56 #319740 by southernman

Jackwraith wrote:

Greg Aleknevicus wrote: Fortress America also used d8s and d10s in addition to d6s.

Oops. Dammit. I thought I remembered all of them pretty clearly, but obviously not. Gettin' old (and way too many games...) Oh, well. At least the dice in Shogun were exclusively d12s.

Yes but Fortress America used the dice in a combat system that was prettyy advanced for the 80s in a boardgame - different dice for the different units, hit values changed for certain terrain unless you made a combined arms attack, attacking units could be disengaged or defending units retreated, unit stacking limits but bombers could break it, different unit ranges that made air units valuable but not by themselves, choppers taking land behind your enemy, supply line checks to cut off and remove enemy units.
And the Partisan cards - awesome clutching at straws for the USA player as he tries to hang on and gets units appearing behind invader lines or around his last few lasers. Then there was the invaders bringing all their units in over five turns, the USA gradually building up their lasers and getting free hits from them, city capture as the timer, plus the invaders were only semi co-op so you couldn't let your fellow invaders get too far ahead of you - yes, it was a 1 vs many semi co-op game, sure it must have been a first.

Shogun was a very good game but I always found the new ideas and variations in Fortress America to be much more fun to play - I own original copies of both them but FA is the only one that gets played once every two to three years.

Whoops - sorry for tangenting/hi-jacking your excellent article :blush:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 09:56 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, DarthJoJo, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds