October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Claustrophobia 1643 Review - A Dense and Breathless Dread

More
20 Jan 2021 00:00 #318220 by Andi Lennon
In the years that followed, a siege besets the town...

February 1543, and deep in the throes of the reformation sundering Europe, a radical religious sect of Anabaptists seizes the walled Westphalian city of Münster. Christened after their founding prophet, these Melchiorites assign themselves as God’s chosen elect, and set about the foundation and fortification of their communal sanctuary – their promised New Jerusalem.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2021 16:14 #318221 by Andi Lennon
Also, in case this sentiment got lost amongst all the doomprose, this game is really fun.

More
20 Jan 2021 16:35 #318222 by drewcula
A review of epic prose!
Well done.
Did you play the 2009 original? The expansions?
I enjoy Monolith's interpretation with one large exception.
Literally. I find the dashboard unnecessarily large.

My limited experiences with Claustrophobia have been positive. But I am always shocked at how much table space it demands.

Of note: Michael Barnes "made" me buy the 2009 edition. Thanks NOHIGHSCORES
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
20 Jan 2021 17:08 #318225 by Andi Lennon

drewcula wrote: A review of epic prose!
Well done.
Did you play the 2009 original? The expansions?
I enjoy Monolith's interpretation with one large exception.
Literally. I find the dashboard unnecessarily large.

My limited experiences with Claustrophobia have been positive. But I am always shocked at how much table space it demands.

Of note: Michael Barnes "made" me buy the 2009 edition. Thanks NOHIGHSCORES

Thanks for reading! No prior experience with the original, no. I had been curious about both editions for awhile but this is the one that came up for trade so I pounced on it.
The table space issue is no joke. Once the dashboards are laid out it leaves precious little room for the map to sprawl, but some judicious use of the tiles means it can usually be managed. The dash for the abyssal player troglodytes could have easily been half the size, although there is a strange satisfaction to be had in perching behind it like some kind of demonic mission-control.
Apparently this only incorporates one of the original expansions which I failed to note in my review, although apparently there are still plans afoot for the property, including a novel so who knows what may yet lie in wait. There's plenty to dig into here as is though. It's one of those rare instances where I can see myself working through all the scenarios too. Thoroughly recommended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Jan 2021 18:17 #318228 by charlest
Great article Andi.

One of my favorite games. I think this is better than Space Hulk. I still don't absolutely love the new edition, but I think I've settled on it being marginally better than the original. Definitely some excellence (the new deck of cards for the good guys) and some awful (iconography without text is terrible, lack of a player aid is downright shameful, and worse dashboards overall).

I kind of miss the prepaints too despite the new sculpts being vastly superior.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37

More
20 Jan 2021 18:36 #318231 by Andi Lennon

charlest wrote: Great article Andi.

One of my favorite games. I think this is better than Space Hulk. I still don't absolutely love the new edition, but I think I've settled on it being marginally better than the original. Definitely some excellence (the new deck of cards for the good guys) and some awful (iconography without text is terrible, lack of a player aid is downright shameful, and worse dashboards overall).

I kind of miss the prepaints too despite the new sculpts being vastly superior.

Cheers man. Yeah the iconography had us reaching for the rulebook with alarming frequency at first. I printed some player aids and that helped a lot. It never derailed the game though and it's approaching second-nature status at this point. Prepaints always look kinda fugly to me. I think I'm just gonna base and wash these to highlight the details. I simply don't have the time to paint anything properly these days. Not owning the first edition I can't really compare but I think this one straddles form and function really well, the monstrous trogo-dash notwithstanding.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds