October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

It's a knife! It's a tank! It has umlauts! It's KnifeTank: The Shüffling!

More
04 Nov 2020 09:00 #315935 by Andi Lennon
Then mister, have I got a game for you.
It slices,...

Are you tired of sprawling games crowding your shelf and your psyche? Are you even more weary of games that squander the opportunity to add awesome superfluous umlauts to their title suffixes?

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2020 21:55 #315936 by bfkiller
I bought KnifeTank recently as more a throw in since I was already paying shipping on House on the Borderland. Looks unique and fun, but not exactly COVID friendly. I'm looking forward to trying it, but will hold off until case counts go down in my city before blowing towards my opponent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
04 Nov 2020 22:23 #315938 by Andi Lennon

bfkiller wrote: I bought KnifeTank recently as more a throw in since I was already paying shipping on House on the Borderland. Looks unique and fun, but not exactly COVID friendly. I'm looking forward to trying it, but will hold off until case counts go down in my city before blowing towards my opponent.

Oh shit yeah I didn't even think about that. Not the timeliest of mechanics is it? Maybe just proxy in a leaf blower or something? You'd need a fucking big table, mind.

More
05 Nov 2020 09:23 - 05 Nov 2020 09:24 #315945 by jason10mm
I don't usually (almost ever, really) ask for a video of gameplay rather than a fun written description, but in this case I think I need to watch something because I can't figure out what you are talking about :p

Ok, ok, I watched this one ( laughingsquid.com/knifetank-the-shuffling/ ) and while the gameplay is still a little questionable the sheer awesomeness of this game trailer(?) is worth a purchase :p
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 09:24 by jason10mm.

More
05 Nov 2020 18:11 #315972 by Andi Lennon

jason10mm wrote: I don't usually (almost ever, really) ask for a video of gameplay rather than a fun written description, but in this case I think I need to watch something because I can't figure out what you are talking about :p

Ok, ok, I watched this one ( laughingsquid.com/knifetank-the-shuffling/ ) and while the gameplay is still a little questionable the sheer awesomeness of this game trailer(?) is worth a purchase :p

Yeah the trailer evokes a lot of the flavour and mindset that is key to the appeal. Mechanically it's spatial awareness and hand management whittled down to a shiv with some dexterity shenanigans thrown in. There's not a great deal to enunciate depth-wise. Essentially your cards determine the trajectory of your tank, the distance and direction it can travel and the arc and reach of its possible attacks. These are all determined by physically placing them atop the relevant turn/turret icons on the tank card itself upon the tabletop. There is an additional deck where damage is drawn at random based upon the relative strengths of the tank or card played. It's all really quick to pick up, quick to play and quick to get silly. KNIFETANK!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, DocPop

More
09 Nov 2020 13:13 #316034 by DocPop
Thanks for this great review. I dug the way you described the game as "Part strategic hand management affair, part gonzo dexterity game- Knifetank is the epitome of small box throwaway fun." proving once again that game-designers can never describe their own games as well as everyone else can.

More
09 Nov 2020 19:19 #316041 by Andi Lennon

DocPop wrote: Thanks for this great review. I dug the way you described the game as "Part strategic hand management affair, part gonzo dexterity game- Knifetank is the epitome of small box throwaway fun." proving once again that game-designers can never describe their own games as well as everyone else can.

Hey Doc, thank you for a great game! We got in a few more runs this past weekend. It was an awesome palate cleanser after a session of 'The Quiet Year' and I gotta say it's even better/wilder at four players. Extra star if playing at four for sure. Gonna be a gameday staple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocPop

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds