October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Sultans of Swing: A Pendulum Board Game Review

More
07 Oct 2020 00:00 #314869 by WadeMonnig
From the outside, Pendulum “looks” like what we have come...

Back in the day, certain music labels were an auto-buy for me: Wax Trax, Def American, Sub Pop. More aptly, on the video game front, anything from Working Designs was a must-have for me. Working Designs were know for their top of the line production: limited edition artwork on the CDs, foil-stamped covers/instruction manuals, exclusive pre-order bonuses, and a somewhat controversial face of the company, Victor Ireland. Now, 30 years later, Stonemaier Games follows in those same footsteps, even complete with a somewhat controversial face for the company, Jamey Stegmaier. So, the fact that any Stonemaier release is an instabuy for some players shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2020 08:27 #314870 by fightcitymayor
Wax Trax Records. Now there is a genre of music that time has forgotten: Industrial. Front 242, KMFDM, Front Line Assembly... good luck getting anyone under 40 who remembers that period of time when Industrial music was pretty damn popular, and occasionally bled into the mainstream (Ministry, NIN, Stabbing Westward, Orgy, etc.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
07 Oct 2020 09:07 #314872 by hotseatgames
Great review! I think the "flipping" song you are referencing is Bell Biv Devoe, Do Me:

I had this CD on constant repeat while playing Golden Axe on my Genesis. They are entwined in my brain. I got to the point where I could beat Golden Axe on one life.

More
07 Oct 2020 09:18 #314874 by Jackwraith
That sounds... awful. I'm kinda surprised it got three stars. It's basically four people playing slap jack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
07 Oct 2020 09:48 - 07 Oct 2020 09:51 #314876 by Sagrilarus
“Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, is someone, possibly myself, going to knock over my Scotch when we are playing this?”

Matt is now my second favorite reviewer on TWBG.

This is an exceptionally well written review, moreso in how it says than what it says. I often skim reviews looking for bits and pieces (and oddly enough from bottom to top for some reason.) But you really had as much to say between the lines as in them. Your last sentence sealed the deal.

I'll assuredly never play this game, as I detest worker placement and rarely care for real-time titles. But Stonemaier offered up a target for a sharp pen, I'll give them just a little credit for that.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2020 09:51 by Sagrilarus.

More
07 Oct 2020 11:09 #314878 by WadeMonnig

hotseatgames wrote: Great review! I think the "flipping" song you are referencing is Bell Biv Devoe, .

Shit, you are right. I...uhhh...fudged that reference to see if you were paying attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
07 Oct 2020 11:11 #314879 by WadeMonnig

Jackwraith wrote: That sounds... awful. I'm kinda surprised it got three stars. It's basically four people playing slap jack.

It's not awful, per se, it's more been there, done that with a real time twist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
07 Oct 2020 15:38 #314890 by Gary Sax
My recollection is that so very wrong about games mentioned something about there being a reminder in the rulebook not to worry about it, that no one would consistently play the game correctly in real time anyway.

More
07 Oct 2020 15:44 #314892 by WadeMonnig

Gary Sax wrote: My recollection is that so very wrong about games mentioned something about there being a reminder in the rulebook not to worry about it, that no one would consistently play the game correctly in real time anyway.

It does have that in the rulebook. It's almost as helpful as telling someone with anxiety to stop worrying so much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
07 Oct 2020 15:59 #314893 by Gary Sax
I get the motivation to put something like that in but... I would not feel happy about that.

More
07 Oct 2020 16:08 #314894 by Shellhead
"more grabbing and flipping than a Bel Biv Devoe song.”

Love it! Not this game, it doesn't sound like my kind of thing at all. But yeah, I was a fan of Bell Biv Devoe, Wax Trax, and Sub Pop at various points in time.

More
07 Oct 2020 16:08 #314895 by RobertB
Isn't there a real-time game out there that used a bajillion sand timers to time events? For example I need a brick, and they take 1 minute to make, so I put a 1 minute timer on it. The 'game' part is managing all this stuff simultaneously. Plus there is some Take That, where you can stick another timer next to their timer, to slow them down. I thought someone in this very forum talked about it.

More
07 Oct 2020 16:37 #314897 by Jackwraith

WadeMonnig wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: My recollection is that so very wrong about games mentioned something about there being a reminder in the rulebook not to worry about it, that no one would consistently play the game correctly in real time anyway.

It does have that in the rulebook. It's almost as helpful as telling someone with anxiety to stop worrying so much.

"You might remember me from such self-help videos as 'Smoke Yourself Thin' and 'Get Confident, Stupid!'"

More
07 Oct 2020 23:21 #314902 by dysjunct

RobertB wrote: Isn't there a real-time game out there that used a bajillion sand timers to time events? For example I need a brick, and they take 1 minute to make, so I put a 1 minute timer on it. The 'game' part is managing all this stuff simultaneously. Plus there is some Take That, where you can stick another timer next to their timer, to slow them down. I thought someone in this very forum talked about it.

Space Dealer. I didn’t care for it; the base game was a cube conversion exercise. Adding time pressure didn’t make the core more fun.

It was remade into “Time n Space” which is supposedly better, and also cheap on Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
08 Oct 2020 11:12 #314910 by WadeMonnig

WadeMonnig wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Great review! I think the "flipping" song you are referencing is Bell Biv Devoe, .

Shit, you are right. I...uhhh...fudged that reference to see if you were paying attention.

The Funny thing is I had Boyz II Men on the brain because I was batting around using the line from Motownphilly "Doin a little East Coast swing..." because...Pendulum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds