October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2710 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Agon RPG - Review

More
05 Oct 2020 00:00 #314838 by thegiantbrain
They come in two main flavours:

I’ve read this...

This is going to be a review of Agon, the most recent RPG from designers John Harper and Sean Nittner, but first I would like to think a little bit about how RPGs are reviewed. It struck me recently how one sided RPG reviews are.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2020 13:15 #314839 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Agon RPG - Review
Great point about how there should be more rpg reviews by players instead of GMs. Agon sounds like a neat game, and I like the looks of the art. My main group tends to favor a crunchier rule system, but I know other role-players that might like this game. The island campaign sounds promising. I have actually recently been pondering an island crawl (as opposed to hex crawl) campaign, with the idea that each island could present a distinctive set of challenges ranging from societal to natural to supernatural.

More
05 Oct 2020 14:06 - 05 Oct 2020 14:08 #314842 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Agon RPG - Review
Man, we really enjoyed Agon when we played it 10 or so years ago. Clever in how it's one of the few RPGs that tackles what Ron Edwards called "gamism" and seeking competitive challenge.

It sounds like there's been some significant revisions here beyond the core. The travelling island to island sounds like it's riffing on Dogs in the Vineyard.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2020 14:08 by charlest.

More
05 Oct 2020 16:37 #314843 by thegiantbrain
Replied by thegiantbrain on topic Agon RPG - Review
Yeah it definitely has a Dogs in the Vineyard vibe. I haven't played the original version, but the GM had and much preferred this more streamlined version. It's less adversarial between GM and player, but players still compete for Glory.

More
05 Oct 2020 19:20 #314844 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Agon RPG - Review
I loved 1e and was a backer on 2e, but cancelled my pledge when I read the alpha rules and saw that it was going in a much different direction. I really liked the crunchier combat and the GM budget for building encounters. The new version sounds like a fairly generic story-ish system (like Fate) but with a coat of Greek paint.

Traveling island to island was in 1e. I think it's a riff on Prince's Kingdom, which was a hack of DITV by Clinton R. Nixon, aimed at kids.

More
06 Oct 2020 19:19 #314860 by Andi Lennon
Replied by Andi Lennon on topic Agon RPG - Review
Wow, great review and fantastic point about the need for a player's perspective when analysing RPG's. As someone who primarily runs games I'm always interested in the impressions of my groups, not just on the sessions themselves but in the possibilities enabled by a system and their thoughts on the 'feel' and dynamism they might either create or inhibit. This game only recently hit my radar and it looks utterly gorgeous. I also appreciate the potential for cool self-contained one shots enabled by the island hopping. Often in lengthier campaigns there is a preponderance of sessions that can feel like a prologue or an aside if handled poorly. In my experience the less opportunities you give players for faffing about in taverns the better hahaha

More
07 Oct 2020 05:20 #314868 by thegiantbrain
Replied by thegiantbrain on topic Agon RPG - Review
I wouldn't compare it to FATE at all, and I've run a fair bit of that in various forms. It definitely has a system you could adapt to other situations, but the way the game plays out and the sort of story it encourages really lend it that Greek Tragedy feel.

It could definitely be used as a one shot with very little issue, and that would be a great way to try it out. I would say that it took us a few islands to really bond as a group and get the game really slick. It takes a bit of a change of mindset to really cut to the action and get the best out of the system. Like a lot of John Harper games it really needs to be played as close to as written as possible.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds