October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Into the Pit - An Interview with the Emperors of Eternal Evil

More
19 Aug 2020 00:00 #313254 by Andi Lennon

And so it was written. As though inked by ancient scribes in a conjoined act of soothsaying and creation. A fortuitous collision at a print shop lights the touchpaper. Lightning strikes. Two disparate strands of DNA coil in tangled barbs, forming the nucleus of an eruption that would leave a fuming crater in its wake. A puckered orifice into the depths of the earth, slithering via corroded corridors to the pit of infinite shadow. A third mutation blossoms within, and an unholy trinity was shot forth shambling unto an unsuspecting world.

From the coiling wisps of a brimstone miasma suffused of arcane putrescence they emerged.  Jochen, Nate and the Manifester.

The Emperors of Eternal Evil.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2020 13:04 #313255 by Shellhead
Psychoraiders is a great game. I have only played about a half dozen times, but every game has been a different experience. I would also love to get my hands on Mushroom Eaters and Sea Evil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
19 Aug 2020 17:59 #313272 by Andi Lennon

Shellhead wrote: Psychoraiders is a great game. I have only played about a half dozen times, but every game has been a different experience. I would also love to get my hands on Mushroom Eaters and Sea Evil.

Oh man now we need to start a campaign for a Mushroom Eaters reprint but have you seen that thing? It's an even more logistically fraught proposition than the CE reprint. Wildly ambitious but never say never. Sea Evil is superb and probably my favourite of the EEE titles. Whether it's the theme, the cool co-op that emerges manning the ship or something more ephemeral still I can't quite say but it has a lofty perch in my pantheon for sure. I'd rate it even higher than Psycho Raiders which as you know, also rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead

More
19 Aug 2020 18:16 #313273 by Shellhead
The first time we played Psycho Raiders, the campers went off-road early and trundled along at a fairly safe speed. The raiders sped up on the road, in hopes of intercepting the campers near the gas station. Unfortunately, the raiders had a serious accident on one of the sharp turns and wrecked their van. On foot, the raiders had zero chance of catching the campers, who casually cruised to victory.

So the raiders demanded an immediate rematch. Second time around, the campers tried the same thing, but the raiders followed and rammed them a couple of times. The campers bailed and the raiders soon followed. It was definitely a longer game, and ended with a house fire, three dead townspeople, and a raider victory just as the last camper was trying to escape through the cemetery.

One thing that elevates our games is that I burned a 2-disc soundtrack, which we use instead of the one provided by the Emperors of Evil. Early in the rules, it mentions that the game takes place on October 30, 1978. That was a pretty good time for music on the radio, so my soundtrack is pop music that was released before October 30, 1978, mostly from 1977 and 1978. I also emphasized songs that were fit the game, either thematically or at least atmospherically. I will try to find the tracklist and post it here.

More
19 Aug 2020 18:38 #313275 by Andi Lennon

Shellhead wrote: The first time we played Psycho Raiders, the campers went off-road early and trundled along at a fairly safe speed. The raiders sped up on the road, in hopes of intercepting the campers near the gas station. Unfortunately, the raiders had a serious accident on one of the sharp turns and wrecked their van. On foot, the raiders had zero chance of catching the campers, who casually cruised to victory.

So the raiders demanded an immediate rematch. Second time around, the campers tried the same thing, but the raiders followed and rammed them a couple of times. The campers bailed and the raiders soon followed. It was definitely a longer game, and ended with a house fire, three dead townspeople, and a raider victory just as the last camper was trying to escape through the cemetery.

One thing that elevates our games is that I burned a 2-disc soundtrack, which we use instead of the one provided by the Emperors of Evil. Early in the rules, it mentions that the game takes place on October 30, 1978. That was a pretty good time for music on the radio, so my soundtrack is pop music that was released before October 30, 1978, mostly from 1977 and 1978. I also emphasized songs that were fit the game, either thematically or at least atmospherically. I will try to find the tracklist and post it here.

Yeah the emergent stories that rise up out of their games are one of the coolest aspects for sure. It can be a double edged sword though. Similar to your first raiders tale we had a recent game of 'Don't Let the Wolves...' that was a pretty stratightforward flight for the family. It was followed up by a second session that saw all kinds of cat and mouse, sinister interlopers and unexpected twists however, which definitely speaks to the replayablity of these titles. I'd love to hear your Summer of 78 soundtrack for the game. I'd throw in some Budgie, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, Bowie and whatnot. Especially blasting out of the hesher's van hahaha.

More
19 Aug 2020 18:49 #313276 by hotseatgames
Psycho Raiders definitely makes for memorable sessions. I have played Carn-Evil and Sea Evil. Carn-Evil is fun but not as fun as the other two.

Psycho Raiders is a game I'd consider going out of my way to create a "fancy" version.

More
19 Aug 2020 19:06 #313278 by Andi Lennon

hotseatgames wrote: Psycho Raiders definitely makes for memorable sessions. I have played Carn-Evil and Sea Evil. Carn-Evil is fun but not as fun as the other two.

Psycho Raiders is a game I'd consider going out of my way to create a "fancy" version.

Carn-Evil? You mean Freakface? They definitely missed a trick by not naming it that hahaha.

Yeah I can imagine a fully 3D blinged-up version of Raiders with minis, terrain, buildings and a little van. That would be rad, but the busted ass chits and paper stock of the original also kinda adds to its scuzzy forbidden charm too.

There's actually a bunch of cool fan-made expansions for Psycho Raiders on BGG that add thematic event decks and content for the houses and whatnot. I have them printed but not cut yet. We're gonna incorporate them into our next session and amp up the madness:

boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147022/crucib...building-events-deck

boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147021/event-deck
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Aug 2020 19:34 #313281 by ubarose
I love Mushroom Eaters. It is gorgeous and strange. We play it once a year with specific friends.

More
19 Aug 2020 19:45 - 19 Aug 2020 19:45 #313282 by Andi Lennon

ubarose wrote: I love Mushroom Eaters. It is gorgeous and strange. We play it once a year with specific friends.

That's interesting cos I tend to Eat Mushrooms once a year with specific friends. It too is gorgeous and strange!
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 19:45 by Andi Lennon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
19 Aug 2020 19:50 #313283 by hotseatgames

Andi Lennon wrote:
Carn-Evil? You mean Freakface? They definitely missed a trick by not naming it that hahaha.

As I typed it, I knew I was getting it wrong. Carn-Evil was an old arcade game I think. Maybe a shitty horror movie.

More
19 Aug 2020 19:53 #313284 by hotseatgames

More
19 Aug 2020 19:59 #313285 by Andi Lennon

hotseatgames wrote: Arcade game by Midway.
www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7285

Perhaps that's why they went with "Freakface". It does seem to be the most divisive of the original HHG trio. I must admit it still sits shamefully on my shelf for an evening when we crave vicarious mirror mazes and haunted corn dogs. We tend to gravitate towards Sea Evil and Raiders when we crave some evil. It will get a run though.

More
19 Aug 2020 20:58 #313286 by hotseatgames
The most memorable part happens at the very beginning, when the kids must play various carnival mini-games.

More
19 Aug 2020 23:54 #313292 by Shellhead

Andi Lennon wrote: I'd love to hear your Summer of 78 soundtrack for the game. I'd throw in some Budgie, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, Bowie and whatnot. Especially blasting out of the hesher's van hahaha.

disc 1
Driver's Seat / Sniff 'n' the Tears
Black Betty / Ram Jam
(Don't Fear) The Reaper / Blue Oyster Cult
Stayin' Alive / The Bee Gees
I'm Your Boogie Man / K.C. The Sunshine Band
Straight On / Heart
So Into You / Atlanta Rhythm Section
I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You / The Alan Parsons Project
One Of These Nights / The Eagles
Miss You / The Rolling Stones
Love Is Like Oxygen / Sweet
Psycho Killer / Talking Heads
Behind Blue Eyes / The Who
Gold Dust Woman / Fleetwood Mac
Dream Weaver / Gary Wright
Dream On / Aerosmith
I Will Survive / Gloria Gaynor
Surrender / Cheap Trick
Call Me The Breeze / Lynyrd Skynyrd

disc 2
Locomotive Breath / Jethro Tull
Lust For Life / Iggy Pop
Le Freak / Chic
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap / AC/DC
Stranglehold / Ted Nugent
Do You Feel Like We Do / Peter Frampton
Carry On My Wayward Son / Kansas
Burnin' For You / Blue Oyster Cult
Renegade / Styx
Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen / Santana
Wheel In The Sky / Journey
Spirits In The Night / Mannfred Mann's Earth Band
Moving in Stereo / The Cars
Heroes / David Bowie
We Are the Champions / Queen

I actually dislike that particular Lynard Skynard song, but it was the only song specifically mentioned in the rules so it had to be included.

More
20 Aug 2020 00:05 #313293 by Andi Lennon

Shellhead wrote:

Andi Lennon wrote: I'd love to hear your Summer of 78 soundtrack for the game. I'd throw in some Budgie, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, Bowie and whatnot. Especially blasting out of the hesher's van hahaha.

disc 1
Driver's Seat / Sniff 'n' the Tears
Black Betty / Ram Jam
(Don't Fear) The Reaper / Blue Oyster Cult
Stayin' Alive / The Bee Gees
I'm Your Boogie Man / K.C. The Sunshine Band
Straight On / Heart
So Into You / Atlanta Rhythm Section
I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You / The Alan Parsons Project
One Of These Nights / The Eagles
Miss You / The Rolling Stones
Love Is Like Oxygen / Sweet
Psycho Killer / Talking Heads
Behind Blue Eyes / The Who
Gold Dust Woman / Fleetwood Mac
Dream Weaver / Gary Wright
Dream On / Aerosmith
I Will Survive / Gloria Gaynor
Surrender / Cheap Trick
Call Me The Breeze / Lynyrd Skynyrd

disc 2
Locomotive Breath / Jethro Tull
Lust For Life / Iggy Pop
Le Freak / Chic
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap / AC/DC
Stranglehold / Ted Nugent
Do You Feel Like We Do / Peter Frampton
Carry On My Wayward Son / Kansas
Burnin' For You / Blue Oyster Cult
Renegade / Styx
Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen / Santana
Wheel In The Sky / Journey
Spirits In The Night / Mannfred Mann's Earth Band
Moving in Stereo / The Cars
Heroes / David Bowie
We Are the Champions / Queen

I actually dislike that particular Lynard Skynard song, but it was the only song specifically mentioned in the rules so it had to be included.

Solid time machine you've compiled there :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds