October 09, 2023
2499 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2703 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

An Ode to the Otters (Root)

More
06 Apr 2020 13:31 #308961 by Jexik
Enter the Riverfolk Company, the titular faction from the first...

Do you like negotiation in games?  Wheeling and/or dealing?  Basic micro-economics? Profiting from a conflict while remaining above such vulgarities yourself?  Then boy, have I got a faction for you! 

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, mezike, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2020 14:15 #308967 by Jackwraith
This is excellent, Jexik. Please continue with the rest of the factions, if you're into it. That last line was killer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
06 Apr 2020 14:34 #308971 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic An Ode to the Otters (Root)
Thanks! More is certainly possible. My next favorite faction is the Eyrie Dynasty despite being so different from the RC. Might be hard for me to get excited about writing about the Vagabond... but I definitely know people who enjoy it and can probably explain why.

More
06 Apr 2020 19:29 #308997 by Gary Sax
Super enjoyed this post, it's my kind of content.

More
07 Apr 2020 00:31 - 07 Apr 2020 00:32 #309004 by Jexik
All right, I've got at least two fans. I started working on the Eyrie. I'll try to commit to one or two of these per week.

Much of this article had literally been floating in my head for months, so it came a bit easier than some of the other articles likely will. And I still have yet to try out the two newest factions. Maybe Table Top Simulator will give me that chance?
Last edit: 07 Apr 2020 00:32 by Jexik.

More
13 Apr 2020 11:52 #309206 by Gary Sax
www.twitch.tv/videos/587538815

To the point discussed here, interesting to watch the Leder team who are obviously extremely experienced playtesting Root drop money all over the Riverfolk to get a leg up. Of course, the Riverfolk also start off at 1 dollar cards (with a bird and an ambush available!) but still.

More
13 Apr 2020 18:23 #309224 by Jackwraith
That was an interesting game. I think it's really group experience-oriented. Humans by nature are prone to avoiding risk. Giving Funds to the Otters or Acolytes to the Lizards is risky because they're resources that they can make use of. However, as we know, it's often the risk-takers who win games. Those guys have played a fair amount of Root and seemed quite familiar with their factions, except for the Lizard player, so they were more than willing to take risks in the name of furthering their own game; often irrespective of how much it contributed to someone else's. That makes for not only an interesting game, but a far more dynamic one that's memorable, even if you lose.

The other side of it is that they were Leder Games' staff playing for a Twitch audience, so they probably knew that the idea was to show off what everyone can do so the game was entertaining for observers, as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Apr 2020 23:09 #309233 by Jexik
Yeah, they showed remarkable restraint in not buying when prices were super low. I think it's gotta be group dependent to some extent. I get away with card prices at 2 and 3 pretty regularly. The otter player also did a little more battling than I would have (like when they all dunked on the Duchy player in mid-game, which was maybe warranted- I haven't seen the Duchy in action much yet). He also did some weird sequencing things - I often open a turn by drawing a card or two unless I'm for sure gonna be battling and need to see the die results. That way I can see if I want to craft what is drawn... I usually try to get up to 5 cards which in turn allows me to set my prices higher I think because I have more good cards. He also sat on the Charm Offensive, which I think is a really good card for the Otters to craft themselves. (At start of birdsong, draw a card and someone else gets a point, 1 bunny to craft).

It was still a close game though so it's hard to find too much at fault. The birds had a decree that was nearly impossible to put into turmoil with all of those bird cards.

More
14 Apr 2020 08:26 #309236 by Jackwraith

Jexik wrote: It was still a close game though so it's hard to find too much at fault. The birds had a decree that was nearly impossible to put into turmoil with all of those bird cards.

Right. And that's exactly what I mean about risk. That decree was crazy. If he ever lost it, his point total would've been savaged. But it also gave him incredible versatility and was why he kept buying bird cards from the Riverfolk.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds