October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Summoner Wars - Love It or Hate It?

More
06 Mar 2020 12:33 #307739 by ubarose
Hot on the heels of the re-aquisition of...

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2020 13:20 - 06 Mar 2020 13:22 #307741 by ecargo
There is no reason that I should like this game given my typical gaming preferences, but I love Summoner Wars and own everything. I don't play it often, but that doesn't stop me from frequently staring fondly at my Master Set box on the shelf.

I have mixed feelings about the announcement that they are working on a 2.0. On the one hand, more stuff! On the other hand, clearly second editions render all my stuff THOROUGHLY UNPLAYABLE. /sarcasm
Last edit: 06 Mar 2020 13:22 by ecargo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
06 Mar 2020 14:46 #307743 by fightcitymayor
Loved it when it was released, still love it. Some random Summoner Wars thoughts:

1) I got yelled at on the original Plaid Hat message boards (shortly after they were created) by Mr. Bistro for reasons unclear to me now.

2) SW was one of the few games where I actively enjoyed each new bit of content. Never had a problem buying the new decks because I knew they would be fun & interesting (and playtested well.) And they always were.

3) I would wager if 50% of the dim bulbs who willingly lay down 200 shekels for the latest Kickstarter bucket-o-minis game just spent $50 on a used lot of Summoner Wars stuff, they would get more enjoyment out of the SW stuff than the KS dreck, and it would scratch a similar itch.

4) I still think some of the art was kinda bad. No offense to the artist, if they are reading this.

5) If I recall, this was one of the first notable hobby games to do the special promo cards (mercenaries) that were only available under certain circumstances (like ordering direct from Plaid Hat.) I also think they were an early item when BGG first opened their storefront. Khan Queso FTW!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jexik

More
06 Mar 2020 14:50 #307744 by BillyBobThwarton
I really enjoy it but I have never won and my wife got tired of the predictable outcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
06 Mar 2020 15:42 #307746 by dysjunct
I really liked it at first but the strategy of attacking your own units soured me on it. Seemed really antithematic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
06 Mar 2020 20:24 #307755 by Sagrilarus

dysjunct wrote: I really liked it at first but the strategy of attacking your own units soured me on it. Seemed really antithematic.

Then don't allow it.

I really like Summoner Wars, even if my boy can make it last two hours.

More
06 Mar 2020 20:53 #307756 by Jexik

dysjunct wrote: I really liked it at first but the strategy of attacking your own units soured me on it. Seemed really antithematic.

There were some quirks and general issues with turtling that showed up in high level play. Here's hoping that second edition retains the charm without some of the bugs.

One of my favorite games of all time, though I rarely play it now. I don't have many willing opponents live since I played so much in testing and on the app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
06 Mar 2020 21:37 #307759 by Vysetron
SW slaps. One of the best games of its kind. I love it and don't own it - all app baby. I've played the physical version a couple times and sure it's slower, but you get to chuck dice so it's just as good.

That ownership thing WILL change for 2nd edition as I'll actually be able to keep up for as long as I'd like. I'm more excited for this than any other recent announcement that I can remember.

More
07 Mar 2020 09:44 #307765 by drewcula
I bought in early, and was happy to support Colby and Co.
Ten factions, sleeved and summoned.
Shortly after that first big box release, I sold it all.
It wasn't getting played.

It's a clever game and I enjoyed my (limited) time with it. I may have tried to push it more with friends, but I didn't. Why? I think in large part it was because of the artwork. The illustrations are horrible. Digital drek.

More
07 Mar 2020 11:21 #307767 by DarthJoJo
My feelings are pretty well summed up by Dan Thurot’s recent discussion of the game (namely I loved it until I dabbled in online play and learned about killing your own units and dropped out of the game shortly before the Alliances box), but I have to push back against the dismissal of the art.

Are we talking about the same John Ariosa? The lead artist for Summoner Wars, Dungeon Run, City of Remnants, Mice and Mystics and a bunch of John Clowdus’ games? I love his work. In a time where the World of Warcraft aesthetic was still huge, his designs ran simpler and cleaner but with plenty of texture and personality.

I do think the art fell off around the Alliances box and looked half-done or leaned too much on glowing effects, but Ariosa’s work is solid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
07 Mar 2020 13:08 - 07 Mar 2020 13:09 #307768 by Gary Sax
^agree. Here's the link to Dan's piece, it's an awesome read:

spacebiff.com/2020/02/17/summoner-wars/

I, also, think the art on Summoner Wars looks bad. Different strokes for different folks etc but...
Last edit: 07 Mar 2020 13:09 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Feb 2021 18:43 #319260 by Jexik
As the resident PHG fanboy, I've decided to bump this thread.

I listened to the PHG podcast released today. They talk a bit about Summoner Wars Second Edition, which will start pre-orders on March 1st. The buzz I've seen from playtesters has been positive. I know they've got all new art (same artist as their Crystal Clans game I think...) Also on that day, it sounds like players will have access to two of the factions in a browser-based app which will have AI as an option. That seems like a smart choice given current conditions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
17 Feb 2021 11:40 - 17 Feb 2021 11:54 #319274 by drewcula
I was going to drop some pictures in here, but my TWBG-fu is failing me.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2021 11:54 by drewcula.

More
17 Feb 2021 21:07 #319303 by Vysetron
SW 2nd ed is the most excited I've been for a game in recent memory, and them launching the digital version alongside it is huge. Casting off Asmodee's shackles and buying their soul back, followed by Ashes coming back, followed by this? That's the Plaid Hat I fell in love with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds