October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Circle Undone Review

More
21 Jan 2020 12:50 #306459 by thegiantbrain
Six go hunting Witches
As with the other cores we get...

I’m not always on the cusp of Arkham Horror LCG releases, but one of the joys of the game is that you don’t have to keep up with the Joneses. As the Dream Eaters cycle spins up I wanted to look back at the previous cycle, The Circle Undone. This campaign sees the game rooting itself back in the town of Arkham after the events of Path to Carcosa and The Forgotten Age took us much further afield. We return to the town in Massachusetts that started it all and find that dangers lie close to home.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2020 16:16 #306460 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Circle Undone Review
We are almost finished with our first campaign was Path to Carcosa (we skipped Dunwich & Forgotten Age). I was thinking of going backwards to one that we skipped, but this review is making me reconsider, and moving on to Circle Undone. Will we regret not having some of the cards from the earlier sets?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Jan 2020 21:14 #306470 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Circle Undone Review

ubarose wrote: We are almost finished with our first campaign was Path to Carcosa (we skipped Dunwich & Forgotten Age). I was thinking of going backwards to one that we skipped, but this review is making me reconsider, and moving on to Circle Undone. Will we regret not having some of the cards from the earlier sets?

You'll probably be fine if you buy the entire campaign at once. Some of the investigators, especially the ones with more stringent deckbuilding or focused roles like Joe Diamond and Carolyn Fern will feel a little hamstrung with the smaller cardpool. Most of them should be fine.

This is a more difficult campaign though, right up there with Forgotten Age. I think it feels a little more fair than the trip to Mexico, but there are definitely scenarios that will stretch you to your limit. In that case a larger cardpool will give you more options. If it feels like you're banging your head against a wall, you can always drop the difficulty down a step.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Jan 2020 21:30 #306471 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Circle Undone Review
Regarding the prologue, I'm not quite sure what to think. On the one hand, I absolutely love it. I think it was a great choice to include this narratively. Night of the Zealot and Path to Carcosa began with the investigators looking into strange occurrences around town. Matt Newman easily could have opened Circle the same way, but by having us play as these people in their last moments, the hook is so much stronger. You know who these people are and want to know what happened to them. They're more than a line of text.

On the other hand, I've heard plenty of people in the community just roll a die to take care of the mechanical consequences of the prologue rather than play it. I haven't gotten there myself, but I can understand repeated playthroughs feeling the same.

Regarding the investigators, Carolyn is a real stand out for me. I love playing support, and she is as support as they come in this game. I've played her in the epic multiplayer scenarios at Arkham Nights the last two years. Even though she might have the worst combat options in the game, no one throws Dynamite Blasts like her.

I also love Marie Lambeau, one of my top three favorite investigators. Like Calvin Wright and Tommy Muldoon, I love how her design causes you to go back through the binder and re-evaluate some borderline cards.

More
24 Jan 2020 07:48 #306564 by thegiantbrain
Replied by thegiantbrain on topic Circle Undone Review
It's Diana for me. She can prove herself a great investigator capable of taking hits and investigating once she is up and running.

Going to be running through this campaign again soon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds