October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Warcry Review

More
10 Sep 2019 09:00 #301590 by Peter Hopkins
Warcry Review was created by Peter Hopkins
“Between the...

Warcry is the best game Games Workshop has published in a decade.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2019 09:33 #301591 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Warcry Review
Thanks for the review! I'd love to try this one some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thegiantbrain

More
10 Sep 2019 11:09 #301595 by fightcitymayor
Replied by fightcitymayor on topic Warcry Review
So i see Barnes is using the pseudonym of "Peter Hopkins" now so he doesn't take more heat for fawning over every latest GW release. My superior intellect sees right through your clever ruse!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, dysjunct, hotseatgames, Vysetron, thegiantbrain

More
10 Sep 2019 11:34 #301597 by thegiantbrain
Replied by thegiantbrain on topic Warcry Review
Mike and I have an "arrangement"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Sep 2019 12:33 #301599 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Warcry Review
Ha ha, I already reviewed this,
Mayor! I’m not gonna do it twice no matter how much I like it! :-)

Seriously though...this game kind of wiped the slate clean for me in terms of skirmish games. It basically dragged Kill Team out behind the barn and murdered it. I was playing KT on and off with some friends, but once I showed them Warcry...the will to play KT just evaporated. And I thought that was the best version of the Warhammer 40k rules to date, including 8th Edition.

But this game is so much more progressive, modern, and you don’t have to make out rosters and manage a bunch of cards. It’s all on one card, and it plays fast and mean like a shark. Yet like “Peter Hopkins” says here, it has that pure Warhammer feeling about it.

Like “Peter Hopkins”, I’m also finding that I really like the break from the usual factions. I especially like the snake guys and gals and of course the bird people. I’m actually not interested at all in playing the mainline factions in it, although I could easily field a couple of them.

I’m actually not very tempted by the new expansion just yet, but I like the idea of a big ol’ monster cutting loose in the middle of it all- the smaller ones are lots of fun. But I am worried that expanding this game is going to push it to Kill Team areas, where it gets to be just too cumbersome.

Where I am still locked in debate is whether I like this game better than Underworlds. Underworlds is definitely deeper, more strategic, and richer in terms of gameplay. But it requires the deckbuilding. This is as close to a pop-out-and-play ruleset as GW has ever come up with outside of the boxed games.

I really hope to see a 40k version soon...they’ve been getting quite frisky lately with odd off-faction models and concepts, I can see them parlaying that into some cool sets for a Warcry 40k...imagine a pack of Kroot hunters, a whole team of Rogue Traders, a Squat squad, the Hrud...

More
10 Sep 2019 13:30 #301601 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Warcry Review
Sounds like it might almost be as good as Heroscape.

More
10 Sep 2019 13:54 #301604 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Warcry Review
Warcry looks really good, except that 3D terrain is really packed in tight and just inviting clumsy hands to make a mess of things.

More
10 Sep 2019 19:43 #301615 by unitled
Replied by unitled on topic Warcry Review
Hey, it's Mich... Er, i mean Peter here! Thanks to Iain for putting my review forward. Honestly couldnt agree with your thoughts more Michael, hope that came across! Looking back at my Kill Team stuff, while i loved the hobbying side of it, the game was more or less a chore (and again, this is someone who really likes what they've done with 8th).

I do quite like the idea of the expansion but mainly because i love the sound of a load of sweaty barbarians tooling up to fight a monster (or maybe a band of goblins trying to sneak up on a giant spider?). It has to be the coolest 'hired gun' mechanic GW have done! If they approach them with the same elegance as Warcry, hopefully we'll get new content without becoming unweildy. But maybe that's moot, as it's so playable even right out the box.

Thanks again for the comments all!

More
11 Sep 2019 04:21 #301622 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Warcry Review
It pisses me off that AoS is getting all these proper light version of GW games (Shadespire, this), while 40k keep getting stuff bolted on. One game that is not requires millions of dollars investment in miniatures (Apocalypse).

More
11 Sep 2019 06:18 #301624 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Warcry Review
I heard Shut up and Sit Down talk about it, and while they liked the combat resolution a lot, they said it often ended up in a big brawl in the middle of the field. And in addition to that all the cool terrain didn't really matter in the end. What's your opinion on those things?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Sep 2019 08:00 #301625 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Warcry Review
If you are a high volume content creator and you play it just one or two times with a basic “deathmatch” style scenario, that will definitely be the case. With experience and different goals/objectives, it’s much less prone to happen like that. Not that it never winds up a big scrum, as that is sometimes unavoidable in a melee focused skirmish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Erik Twice, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.739 seconds