October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
14 Mar 2020 14:24 #308053 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
I think you should expect to see some perfectly fit 40yr olds falling foul of this virus. There may be a lower chance for fatality, the fitter you are but it certainly is not 100% safe. Outliers on the stats will take out some fit people.

Interestingly, the UK stance is NOT Boris Johnson's idea but is the direct advice from the top health professionals in the country. The current approach is the tactic they recommended for the UK. Whether it is more effective than shutting the borders has yet to be proven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 17:41 #308055 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus
Schools in my county closed for at least 2 weeks. No word on my job thus far, beyond them offering 2 weeks paid sick leave for people exhibiting flu like symptoms. Which is nice, but not as proactive as it might be. Probably the best you're going to get from a big chain retail Operation though.

More
14 Mar 2020 19:37 - 14 Mar 2020 19:38 #308058 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Uba --

That's an impressive level of absurdity. "Sorry, you're out of sick leave, bring the infectious disease to work. No exceptions!"
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 19:38 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, n815e

More
14 Mar 2020 19:41 - 14 Mar 2020 19:44 #308059 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

ThirstyMan wrote: Interestingly, the UK stance is NOT Boris Johnson's idea but is the direct advice from the top health professionals in the country. The current approach is the tactic they recommended for the UK. Whether it is more effective than shutting the borders has yet to be proven.

I'll mention that all the cases in the local area are from Americans traveling abroad, not foreigners coming here. The new restrictions don't keep U.S citizens out, and they aren't being tested on the way back in. So I don't know how closing the borders is going to help in our case. I think it's more about blaming those damn foreigners so that "it's not our fault" from our leaders sounds more plausible.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 19:44 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith, n815e

More
14 Mar 2020 22:10 #308060 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote: Uba --

That's an impressive level of absurdity. "Sorry, you're out of sick leave, bring the infectious disease to work. No exceptions!"

People who are actually sick can get sick bank time (if they enrolled) and/or FML.

The bit that was unclear was if the same were true if someone who wasn't sick but was self quarantined. This has just been clarified. People who have a medical quarantine order and run out of leave do qualify for sick bank time (if they enrolled) and FML.

Running out of leave because schools have been closed indefinitely and your young children are all at home still needs to be addressed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Mar 2020 04:00 #308066 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Coronavirus
I'm sorry.... you have a type of leave called FML? :laugh:

More
15 Mar 2020 07:39 #308068 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus

ThirstyMan wrote: I think you should expect to see some perfectly fit 40yr olds falling foul of this virus. There may be a lower chance for fatality, the fitter you are but it certainly is not 100% safe. Outliers on the stats will take out some fit people.

That's the thing with flattening the curve. Everyone still has to get sick. Everyone. We just want to make it so the severe and critical cases don't overwhelm medical facilities AT ONE TIME. The only way we could forgo everyone eventually getting it is if we develop a universal corona vaccine that somehow hits all the mutations. Best case scenario that is 12 months away, which gives this strain a chance to mutate. Actual eradication was only possible last December/January, but the Chinese didn't accomplish that. For "social distancing" to work properly we still get a lower 1% death rate, but we drag it out for six months instead of one. It is stupid that companies don't have any plans cognizant of this reality.

The thing about China. They have managed to stamp out the virus (except in Hubei) at great cost to their economy, culture, and human rights. However they didn't manage to cure or eradicate it. It's going to leak back in after they reopen the factories. WTF are they going to do then? Another three month quarantine of their whole country? Right now they are the same as any other country the virus hasn't taken hold yet. I don't know why the WHO praises them, they effectively did nothing except delay the problem until the future.

Lastly, Chinese studies let us know 80% of cases were mild. However they define mild a bit differently than us. So long as you didn't need oxygen or a respirator you were mild. You could be in a world of pain, but as long as you suffered at home you were mild.

Let us hope there is a "cure".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith, lj1983, ThirstyMan, Frohike, sornars

More
15 Mar 2020 11:02 #308070 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, san il defanso

More
15 Mar 2020 16:47 #308085 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Here's some interesting visual aids to help explain the advantage of social distancing:

www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/wor...D4lwwTO2qlRhv76_ub9Q
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Jexik, n815e

More
15 Mar 2020 17:43 #308090 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
Well, local schools just closed for two weeks. The governor has announced that school funding will continue so teachers will still get paid.

I’ll be homeschooling my kid I guess. My wife has been sending me a bunch of age-appropriate class schedules.

More
15 Mar 2020 17:45 #308091 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Coronavirus
Is the two weeks most of us are talking about enough, or should it be much longer? It seems like whenever people are allowed to move about freely again we'll run up against the same spike in that curve.

More
15 Mar 2020 18:00 #308092 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Coronavirus
Leaked document from the UK government estimates this could be ongoing until Spring of 2021. Guessing about a dip in July until it comes back strong in October.

I don't know see how we could keep this up until July.

More
15 Mar 2020 18:05 #308094 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
It’s hard to predict. It will probably come back in waves until there’s a vaccine.

More
15 Mar 2020 18:07 #308095 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
I think at this point the USA is going for herd immunity like the UK whether we want to or not. Our response has been too slow and by the time the Wal-Mart brand testing kits are available it'll be everywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
15 Mar 2020 19:02 - 15 Mar 2020 19:57 #308097 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
Massachusetts Governor has ordered all schools to close, no gatherings over 25 people, and restaurants are delivery/takeout only. No time limit yet.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2020 19:57 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds