October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Shark (Movie) Week

More
17 Dec 2018 19:44 #288370 by ChristopherMD
Started watching shark movies recently for no reason that I'm aware of. So I'm calling this Shark (Movie) Week.

The Meg - Let's get this out of the way, this is not a good movie. Jason Statham is more a prop than an actor and I think the directors last hit was National Treasure. Its basically a Syfy Original with a big budget. However sometimes you don't want a story or common sense. Sometimes you just want to watch a giant shark destroy everything in its path. This is the movie for those times.

The Shallows - Fortunately the story here takes a back seat (hint: the shark is a metaphor for her grief). I feel bad for the shark in this one. It just wants to eat the dead whale in peace but stupid humans keep bleeding and agitating it. A fun little survival story nonetheless.

47 Meters Down - Two idiots go into a shark cage for fun on some sketchy dudes boat. Could have been a good suspense movie except there was never any suspense. Just lots of shots of them hanging out at the bottom with the occasional shark thrown into the mix.

Next up will be either Bait 3D (haven't seen it) or Deep Blue Sea (a favorite) depending on my mood. Once I check off some B-listers I'll go to the only A-list shark movie that I don't need to name.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2018 22:55 - 17 Dec 2018 23:00 #288377 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Shark (Movie) Week
Omg best thread ever

Yeah the Shallows looked decent enough. I should really see it. I’m a big fan of sharks, movies and shark movies but I haven’t seen many.

I saw that one with Catherine McPhee which was absolutely terrible. Skip that one if you can. Shark Night, I think it was called

Isn’t there a sequel for Deep Blue Sea? I honestly don’t know.

Please see Bait so I can know if it’s worth seeing. Thanks for seeing 47 meters Down, I’ve been wondering about that one.

Isn’t Orca basically a shark movie about a killer whale?

You can skip the Sharknado movies, they don’t count. Same with Open Water, not really a shark movie. Although Open Water 2 might be a shark movie, funnily enough.

Can you please see The Reef? I hear it’s great.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2018 23:00 by Black Barney.

More
18 Dec 2018 07:37 #288381 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Shark (Movie) Week
The Meg was terrible. The pacing was all over the place. I think the movie ended 4 times.

More
18 Dec 2018 20:09 #288414 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Shark (Movie) Week
Bait - I watched this in 3D and that's probably the main thing going for it. An Australian movie about the fakest looking tsunami you'll ever see trapping some people with a couple great whites. A Sharknami maybe? Its definitely better than dreck like Sharknado but at the same time there's only so much you can do with a movie about sharks in a supermarket.

More
18 Dec 2018 20:16 #288415 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Shark (Movie) Week
Dunno man, I love the meg. It's just a fun movie that doesn't take itself seriously. Great underwater scenes (love the subs!--but not the gliders...), awesome "shark slowly appears form darkness" scenes... Always enjoy Statham. There are actors that I enjoy for being themselves, and he's one of them.

More
19 Dec 2018 19:08 #288486 by ChristopherMD
The Reef - Another Australian movie and its a good one. A 10 mile swim back to land after their boat starts sinking. Mostly a suspense where you barely see the shark or its kills. Apparently based on a true story so they keep it realistic as they can.

More
21 Dec 2018 15:21 - 28 Jun 2020 12:45 #288619 by ChristopherMD
I was starting to feel like Joel Hodgson on the Submarine of Love so I watched a shark movie I know I enjoy last night.

Deep Blue Sea - Unlike a lot of other shark movies its got a budget and a decent director (Renny Harlin) and cast. I'm also a fan of disaster movies and this doubles as one since the facility is sinking. Giant maco sharks instead of great white(s) is a nice change too.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 12:45 by ChristopherMD.

More
21 Dec 2018 15:59 #288621 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Shark (Movie) Week
Look for Great White, circa 1982. It is kind of the ultimate Jaws rip off. Vic Morrow (before the accident) was apparently told to portray Robert Shaw.

More
21 Dec 2018 16:12 - 21 Dec 2018 16:13 #288622 by ChristopherMD
Found it under the title The Last Shark from 1981. Amazon suggest I might also like 5-Headed Shark Attack, Jurassic Shark, Sharkenstein, Sand Sharks (yes, sharks that swim in the sand) and a bunch more crap-sounding movies. I gotta draw the line somewhere.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 16:13 by ChristopherMD.

More
21 Dec 2018 16:46 - 21 Dec 2018 16:52 #288626 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Shark (Movie) Week
Theres even one advertised as ''Jaws in space.'' i bet its TERRIBLE

Yeah Deep Blue Sea has Whites, Makos and Tigers. are Makos the fastest fish in the ocean or just the fastest shark? Sailfish is faster?

You gotta see Shark Night, its not fair i'm the only one subjected to it.

I've made two attempts at the Halle Berry one and i never last more than five minutes. It's SO bad.

In honour of Chris' achievement in movie watching mediocrity, i watched half of Roboshark. The state of the art American submarine had a dial telephone in the CONN.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 16:52 by Black Barney.

More
21 Dec 2018 16:51 #288627 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Shark (Movie) Week
Sharknado: when shark movies jumped the shark.

More
21 Dec 2018 21:31 - 21 Dec 2018 21:31 #288641 by ChristopherMD
IMO, shark movies jumped the shark in 1978 when Jaws 2, and every shark movie since, failed to be as good as Jaws. Its just one of those genres where not much lives up to the original inspiration. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark (Spielberg again), Alien, Halloween and probably a short list of others.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 21:31 by ChristopherMD.

More
11 Nov 2019 05:13 #304060 by KunalAdhikary
Replied by KunalAdhikary on topic Shark (Movie) Week
It takes eight and a half minutes for the first death by shark attack – a decapitating bite to the head - to occur in Sharknado 2: The Second One. But those who have had to endure the long moments of suspense up to that point are soon amply rewarded: there are three or four more similarly bitey fatalities before the action reaches the ten-minute mark. And they all take place aboard a Boeing 747.

Long before that, the hero of the first film, Fin Shepard (Ian Ziering), has been exhibiting signs of anxiety that the events of Sharknado, which saw a waterspout caused by a twister bring shark-infused-flooding to the streets of LA, could happen again. It’s making him downright tetchy. “Two of my friends were killed, I almost destroyed Los Angeles and I got eaten by a shark. How much fun do you think that was?”

20+ Shark movies: docsbay.net/20-shark-movies

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds