October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
19 Jan 2022 17:27 #329917 by Andi Lennon
I've been playing Warhammer Battlesector on gamepass. It's reasonably fun but they won't shut the fuck up about this Sanguinius guy. It kinda sounds like they're saying 'Sandwiches'. "We give our lives for Sandwiches", "For the glory of Sandwiches!" "We are the blood of Sandwiches". Also I think there's some dude named "Roger" cos they say that a lot too.

Also recently played 'The Forgotten City' which is the best six hours I spent with a video game all year. No sandwiches though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, hotseatgames, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2022 17:31 #329918 by Gary Sax
^I am really looking forward to the 40k sequel to Vermintide they are putting out this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
22 Jan 2022 00:56 #329962 by hotseatgames
I've been playing GTFO with two friends (and a bot) and we are having an absolute blast. It is SO hard, but extremely satisfying and I love how it demands actual cooperation, more-so than any other co-op shooter I've played.

More
22 Jan 2022 10:56 #329965 by Gary Sax
It's crazy how hard and unforgiving it seems, from the few people streaming it I've seen.

More
22 Jan 2022 11:47 #329966 by hotseatgames
It can get pretty rough, but each time you have to try again, you do a little better. I have not seen it get to the point where I just know it will never happen. Instead, you discuss strategy and decide what you might have tried differently.

More
23 Jan 2022 18:57 #330003 by Jexik
I got Alina of the Arena today. It seems fine. Just released in early access on Steam. Self described into into the breach meets slay the spire on a hex grid. There are some fun attacks like launching a fireball or slinging a grappling hook. Movement is very limited but powerful to avoid incoming attacks.

More
24 Jan 2022 14:04 #330054 by Rliyen
Last night made me sorely tempted to just play with bots in Payday 2, despite my desire to help new players. The heist was Border Crossing, a two part heist. One part is in the Overkill MC clubhouse, where you try to find and enter their secret tunnel across the Mexican border to a drug cartel's airport/warehouse area. Once you get there, in order to complete the heist, you have to steal one specific kind of loot to trigger the escape, then fuel up the jet, and blow the fence leading to the strip. Mind you, this area is BIG with a lot of open ground in the middle, which you can mitigate if you travel on the edges, and through the warehouses. The reason I bring this up is because the surrounding buildings start getting perched on by snipers, making it VERY dangerous to cross the area without taking them out first.

First half went fine with me and another player that I played with previously. They were using a Gambler deck (Heal yourself and your team by picking up ammo boxes, while also giving the other players extra ammo), while I was using Crook (dodge build, fast armor replenish, fast move speed). We were contracted to get cocaine to the plane, but you can also steal and secure the other loot laying around. Everything was more or less fine until two other players requested in, and I let them. One was what you call a "veteran" (Infamy level 23, mine's 90). The other was a complete noob (No Infamy) and was completely playing above his skill level.

Almost immediately, things started going off the rails. With my partner getting downed constantly, so much so that they had to be traded for TWICE in the game. The new player wouldn't listen to me, the host, when he asked if we should leave the other loot bags and I told him,"YES" in all caps, meaning completing the heist was more important than non-essential loot. The "veteran" flounce quit when no one was trying to getting him back up when he was downed (a common occurrence in the game, unfortunately), and left us a man short. The new player was constantly running out in the open and kept promptly getting dropped by, you guessed it, snipers. All he kept saying was Bruh and Bruuuuuuh when confronted by his shortcomings. At one point, I'm the only one that is left and I'm forcing enemies to surrender and become hostages so I can trade them back for the players in custody.

I finally get them back, and new player disregards my order about the non-essential loot and starts collecting it, again, running out in the open to get to the warehouse and promptly got dropped by a dozer. He's all like "Man, the dozers and snipers hard!" To which I replied, "Stop running out in the open, then." I get him to his feet and we blow the fence together. We get to the exit zone and I make a mental note not to play with the new player again, it left such a bad taste in my mouth. The Gambler player who got put into custody twice I will consider playing with them again. At least they knew what to do and were competent in completing the heist.

I'm not going to lie, the heist is hard on lower difficulties, and we were playing on Mayhem, which is in the upper difficulty tier. However, flouncing and not listening to the host are tells that you don't play well with others.

/rant off

More
24 Jan 2022 14:11 #330056 by Gary Sax
As someone who isn't a real intense consumer of them, it is such a huge bummer on those 4p co-op shooters to play with randos because they have memorized the internal "guide" to those scenarios and just expect you to tear off at full speed to every location/secret loot that you don't know in pursuit of them. Checklist "expert level" gaming. Terrible experience without three other friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, jason10mm, hotseatgames

More
24 Jan 2022 15:05 #330061 by jeb
Yeah, this happened to me on Raids in DESTINY. I was supposed to know that I need to VnipVnap the Gqordarks before hitting platforms 5, 6, 1, 2 IN THAT ORDER, BECAUSE IT'S IN-GAME MOONSEVE IDIOT

I had to stick with smaller asks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
24 Jan 2022 15:15 #330063 by Rliyen

Gary Sax wrote: As someone who isn't a real intense consumer of them, it is such a huge bummer on those 4p co-op shooters to play with randos because they have memorized the internal "guide" to those scenarios and just expect you to tear off at full speed to every location/secret loot that you don't know in pursuit of them. Checklist "expert level" gaming. Terrible experience without three other friends.

I try to help new players as much as I can, even helping them acquire achievements and trophies they didn't know about. I always get thanks for that.

Then, you run into new players who don't listen to more experienced players, like above. I'm pretty easy going in the game, and have the patience of a tree, but if you repeatedly fail to listen to me when I give you common sense advice, you're just asking to be kicked.

Let me balance out the above horror story with one that had me laughing all day on Saturday. Same heist, newbies galore, but we had a BLAST. Again, cocaine was the designated loot, but we cleaned the entire area out. However, we were missing the last bag of cocaine. It was in a crate and all of us were running around Hell's half acre trying to find it. I did eventually find it and one of the guys with me commented, "The fabled 12th bag of cocaine" and I just lost it. I immediately run to the plane and deposit it. Then, I get to a place to hide and I type "SNNNNOOOOOORRRTTT.. ALLL MINE." And another guy types back "GIVE ME SOME!" We finish the heist and I thanked them, telling them I had a blast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars

More
24 Jan 2022 15:16 #330064 by Rliyen

jeb wrote: Yeah, this happened to me on Raids in DESTINY. I was supposed to know that I need to VnipVnap the Gqordarks before hitting platforms 5, 6, 1, 2 IN THAT ORDER, BECAUSE IT'S IN-GAME MOONSEVE IDIOT

Can confirm that. That's what put me off playing Raids, period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB

More
24 Jan 2022 15:27 #330066 by RobertB

Rliyen wrote:

jeb wrote: Yeah, this happened to me on Raids in DESTINY. I was supposed to know that I need to VnipVnap the Gqordarks before hitting platforms 5, 6, 1, 2 IN THAT ORDER, BECAUSE IT'S IN-GAME MOONSEVE IDIOT

Thirded, with D2 at least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
24 Jan 2022 16:10 #330073 by hotseatgames
Played a bit of Rainbow Six Extraction on Gamepass. Seems cool enough, but really wants you to have 2 other friends. I have not attempted playing with randos, for reasons listed above.

Also picked up Vampire Survivors on Steam, for $3. This game is essentially the pacifism mode from Geometry Wars, but YOU are shooting enemies non-stop. All you do is move, it auto-fires. You upgrade all sorts of things over the course of the up to 30 minute sessions, eventually becoming a monster killing tidal wave of destruction. Great fun. Not sure if it has staying power, but for $3 I'll get my fun out of it. store.steampowered.com/app/1794680/Vampire_Survivors/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 Jan 2022 09:51 #330100 by Ah_Pook

Rliyen wrote:

To be fair, playing a raid in Destiny with a rando who didn't know what to do would be incredibly annoying. They're so long, so complicated, and so hard, that really everyone needs to be all the way on point. I think you would want to get into a group of people willing to teach you, or a friend group all learning it together or something. But Destiny raids are an extreme outlier for that kind of thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Jan 2022 13:15 #330117 by jeb
That's the thing though, if you miss that two-day window of figuring shit out on the Raid, you'd better never do that one because any kind of delay is unforgiveable, Guardian. It was fine, DESTINY had enough other stuff to do that kept me going, it was a great game. But Raids were just not for me, I just couldn't keep up with the complications.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.673 seconds