October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 May 2021 09:07 - 27 May 2021 09:24 #323485 by Ah_Pook
The very overpriced Kickstarter for Paperback Adventures (a solo deckbuilding word game with a roguelike theme) made me remember Bookworm Adventures, an old Popcap game that I sunk approximately Infinity hours into back in the day. Apparently it has been scrubbed from existence for unknown reasons, but there's a game called Letter Quest available on basically every platform that is 100% Bookworm Adventures minus the charm and whimsy. It even has a cameo from the Bookworm Adventures protagonist. So basically you have a grid of letters and you spell words to attack monsters, then they attack you. Each level has x monsters to get through with various types of attacks to need with your letter grid and do damage to you. You also get items and level up your stats and whatnot. If you like word games it's just delightful.
Last edit: 27 May 2021 09:24 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2021 05:07 #323583 by Gary Sax
I wrapped up Control by finishing its final DLC. It's very funny because the last DLC is like this gigantic teaser for a new Alan Wake game and I absolutely do not give a shit and am not interested at all. The Control story and the main character of Control are so much more interesting and better acted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
03 Jun 2021 11:38 #323673 by Ah_Pook
I never played Alan Wake so that whole dlc was just kind of... There. It was a solid expansion gameplay wise, they both were. The other one added fun backstory stuff though, which I'm way more into.

Subnautica was free on PlayStation at some point, and I downloaded it then. Finally booted it upa few days ago and I'm DEEEEP down the rabbit hole on it atm. Super cool game. It's a survival game set on an ocean world, and you're a survivor of a spaceship crash. You start out scraping by catching fish in the shallows to keep your hunger level up, but eventually you build a self sustaining base and start being able to explore deeper into the ocean. There's a whole story to uncover about what happened to your ship and what's going on on the alien planet you're crashed on etc. The core loop of exploring and collecting resources, bringing them back, and building upgrades to expire and loot better is super satisfying, the base building is fun, and man the atmosphere is stellar. This game makes me uneasy like no horror game ever had. The feeling of getting out of your submarine to grab some rare minerals while you're 900m down and you can hear predators hunting in the darkness around you is really something else. The vistas you explore through are beautiful too. So yea, it's great. Everyone was right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm, birdman37

More
03 Jun 2021 12:28 #323676 by Gary Sax
I loved the time I spent with subnautica but like I said upthread I just got stuck and overwhelmed by one of the moments where you're supposed to find some shit to go deeper on your own. I've heard the sequel is a bit smaller and more directed, I wonder if that would work better for me.

More
03 Jun 2021 13:57 - 03 Jun 2021 13:57 #323681 by Ah_Pook
The unspoken rule of video games is keep a FAQ/walkthrough handy :laugh: I love the sense of exploration and freedom in Subnautica, but once that gives way to "okay but wtf do I do now" I'm immediately looking up some direction to keep things moving.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2021 13:57 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
03 Jun 2021 16:36 #323686 by jason10mm
Yeah, a good walkthrough for the end game and some of the better maps save a TON of time in Subnautica. Nothing like getting a mile down and realizing you are out of salt...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Jun 2021 18:05 #323690 by Gary Sax
I might do the map thing for sure jason10mm.

More
06 Jun 2021 09:33 #323749 by Ah_Pook
I built a base at 900m down next to this crazy tree, and I built the cyclops and prawn suit. So things are ticking along nicely in Subnautica. I've gone as deep as the SeaMoth can go, so once I stock up on some nickel I'll be going further down into what seem like endgame areas (?)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd

More
06 Jun 2021 12:23 #323753 by SebastianBludd

Ah_Pook wrote: I built a base at 900m down next to this crazy tree, and I built the cyclops and prawn suit. So things are ticking along nicely in Subnautica. I've gone as deep as the SeaMoth can go, so once I stock up on some nickel I'll be going further down into what seem like endgame areas (?)

Some general, non-spoilery tips for the endgame areas:

-You'll want a fabricator on your Cyclops because there's one plot-specific item you need to make, and backtracking out of that area in the Cyclops takes a while and kind of sucks.
-Speaking of the Cyclops, it can hold several storage lockers, an aquarium with fish, and it even has room for a garden bed with melons. It's worth it to outfit it as a mobile base so you're not constantly worrying about hunger/thirst while figuring out the layout of the last area.
-Take along some purple tablets (see my note about backtracking above).
-Take some extra power cells for the Cyclops because the last area can be confusing and using the radar burns a lot of juice.
-SAVE before you go into any building in the Prawn suit. It can be all kinds of glitchy and I've experienced game-breaking bugs (getting stuck in/on the floor is the most common) that necessitated a reload.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
06 Jun 2021 13:20 #323755 by Ah_Pook
I've got the makings of a mobile base in my Cyclops already, but I haven't gone really hard on it yet since I haven't found any nickel to upgrade it's depth past 900 so it's just been chilling next to my surface base while Ive been messing around setting up my deep tree base as a staging area for points beyond. I'm guessing you find nickel in the Lost River, as I haven't really foraged around there much yet and I certainly haven't found any in previous areas.

More
06 Jun 2021 17:17 - 06 Jun 2021 17:18 #323758 by Gary Sax
You all convinced me to get back into it and it's going better this time. I just built my moonpool at my main base so I'm trying to understand base systems. Is there a place where it just shows the energy underlying the power calculations?

I find the decision of where is "ideal" to place your main base kind of anxiety inducing so I just went and did it. I know everything is 100% refunded, but...
Last edit: 06 Jun 2021 17:18 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
06 Jun 2021 18:05 #323759 by Ah_Pook

Gary Sax wrote: You all convinced me to get back into it and it's going better this time. I just built my moonpool at my main base so I'm trying to understand base systems. Is there a place where it just shows the energy underlying the power calculations?

I find the decision of where is "ideal" to place your main base kind of anxiety inducing so I just went and did it. I know everything is 100% refunded, but...

They added a base power console thing to the sequel, theres nothing in the base game that breaks it down with any kind of granularity.

I put my base right next to my life pod. Its a nice central location.

More
06 Jun 2021 18:18 - 06 Jun 2021 18:23 #323760 by Gary Sax
I built mine near an entrance to the mushroom caves with the thermal vents. Can I build a thermal plant down there and bring power up?

I wish things were just a little bit better documented in game mechanically.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2021 18:23 by Gary Sax.

More
06 Jun 2021 19:27 - 06 Jun 2021 19:34 #323761 by Ah_Pook
A thermal reactor will generate power for thighs within range. The range isn't very long, but you can boost it with a power transmitter. Not sure if you can chain power transmitters though. My surface base was fine with a few solar panels and a bioreactor full of acid mushrooms (gel sacks and lantern fruit, later).
Last edit: 06 Jun 2021 19:34 by Ah_Pook.

More
06 Jun 2021 20:19 #323762 by jason10mm
I know my thighs were quite warm after the effort to build nukes :p

I really only needed 2 bases. And then only to support a moonpool and the vehicle upgrade thing. The scanner was almost useless other than using cameras as way points and I never could get the observatory to fit right.

My son is playing on creative or adventure or whatever mode takes away all the thirst and damage. It's just such a beautiful game to veg out with, and even if you can't take damage and don't need air it is VERY hard to casually swim down into the deep reef :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds