October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
22 Jun 2015 18:27 #204793 by jeb
TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL 2020 probably got more quarters out of me than any other game. Only STREET FIGHTER II is close.* Someone code that up for networked multiplayer. I will Can-o-Corn all you fools upside-down and sideways with my titanum running backs.

*and then not really, because I was awesome at STREET FIGHTER and could play for a long time on one quarter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2015 19:33 #204794 by iguanaDitty

Michael Barnes wrote: I was thinking about trying Inazuma Eleven on the 3DS, it's a JRPG soccer game.

I think there's a demo? Suggesting trying it first if possible. I can not get the hang of how to win the "battles" which are of course soccer games, and the rest of the game is fairly stock jrpg. You get these special soccer powers as you go through the game I think but I never really figured anything out. I can see you loving the weird soccer battles if you can figure them out or hating the terrible early 80s anime-ness of it.

More
24 Jun 2015 07:31 #204863 by Erik Twice

jeb wrote: TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL 2020 probably got more quarters out of me than any other game. Only STREET FIGHTER II is close.* Someone code that up for networked multiplayer. I will Can-o-Corn all you fools upside-down and sideways with my titanum running backs.

*and then not really, because I was awesome at STREET FIGHTER and could play for a long time on one quarter.

You can play both online through MAME variants designed for online play. I mean, people play fighters and Magical Drop that way, so it must be possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Jun 2015 10:12 #204911 by Black Barney
Played through the very long trial version of METRO: LAST LIGHT REDUX. Really enjoyed it. Lots going on in that game. Will try the trial version of the other Metro game (2033?) redux next.

More
25 Jun 2015 11:12 #204918 by hotseatgames
Played a mission of Destiny last night, after having not played in a long time. Got all the way to the (almost) end of the mission and got a phone call. I "paused" the game and took the call; when I looked back up, I was dead. Of course this was in the dark zone so all the enemies came back. I immediately ejected the disc and may never put it back in.

Also played a game of Age of Empires II HD against 2 AI opponents last night. I played on easy and steamrolled them. I think there is a wide gulf between easy and normal. Also, the computer is so clearly a cheater it's not funny. They advance through the ages faster than I believe it's humanly possible to do so, and they crank out units much faster than I think a human could as well. To me, that is not creating an opponent that is fun to play against.

That aside, I'm having fun with this throwback title. I'm glad I bought it.

More
25 Jun 2015 12:37 #204925 by scrumpyjack
Finished Transistor yesterday, fantastic game. The presentation is what stands out most, with a really beautiful computer circuitry aesthetic and wonderful soundtrack. The core gameplay is very satisfying and I loved using the Turn() mechanic to plan out my turns and slice my way through tons of enemies with style. It's one of the closest times I've felt like I'm playing in a really great fight manga. I often used lots of blink-of-the-eye dashes to get behind the enemy and backstab combos to inflict massive damage, then dashing away to escape pursuit. I also experimented with all the different Functions (powers) in the game because you unlock different pieces of character backstory by using each in the three main slots (Main power, supplement or support slot). I ended up discovering quite a few combos that I used throughout the game by experimenting with the powers. Finally I thought the story was well done, I read that some people found it confusing but I thought they did a great job of building a unique world without over-explaining things. Highly recommended!

More
25 Jun 2015 13:22 #204929 by jeb
Literally fell asleep playing DIABLO III last night. Think I need to buff the difficulty, because it didn't matter. Wife shook me awake, I finished the quest and went to bed.

Someone dropped into my game the other night and handed me a bunch of hacked shit. Like, an amulet that gains me 10,000,000,000 life per second. Or a billion experience for a monster kill, or 10 attacks per second with my DPS at 35 million. It was hilarious to see dozens and dozens of frogs fly out of me, and I gained literally 2600 paragon levels in a few seconds. But it wasn't fun. I junked the items. If you want a bunch of hacked shit, just play a public game for a few nights.

Hardcore Barb died against Belial at Lvl 37. C'est la guerre.

More
25 Jun 2015 14:56 #204933 by Jackwraith
I was on D3 for the first time in months yesterday. I have a couple friends who've been playing the seasons, but I haven't delved into that. However, I played from the (horrible) beginning and have 1 of each class that can handle T3-4 (or higher in a couple cases), so if you even want to get on and bash around a while, let me know.

More
26 Jun 2015 15:45 #205011 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: GAMES OF THRONES had episode ONE (Telltale Games) for free now on Xbox One so I downloaded it, haven't tried it. Loved Walking Dead season one to death and I love AGOT so I'm sure I'll like it.

Played through it on Tuesday night. Follows the events of the Red Wedding from S3 (yes, based on the show not the books). Features the actual actors' voices so that was cool, and it's also very much on par with the tone of the series (minus titty shots). I liked it and might get the rest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Jun 2015 15:23 #205182 by Michael Barnes
Bored the other night, and I really wanted to play an old timey FPS. Not one of these jumped-up Hollywood BS games with lots of graphic violence, something old and chunky with AI routines that are nothing more than "run at screen". I don't have a copy of any of the Doom games, Quake or Serious Sam, so I trawled PSN. I thought about buying that recent Wolfenstein but it was too much. I landed on this weird little game called Ziggurat that I saw compared to Heretic or Hexen, which was exactly what I wanted. And it was $6 on a flash sale.

It's a really cool game, come to find out. It's kind of a roguelike- randomly generated dungeons and you get XP and choose from two upgrades at each level, shown as Magic-style cards. The action is definitely old timey FPS- circle strafing, flying skulls rushing at you, demons throwing fireballs that you can jump over. Weapons are all magic spells, and there seem to be A LOT of them. The bad guys are silly stuff- carrot and mushroom monsters on the early floors. It's sort of like Binding of Isaac meets Doom in more than a few ways.

It's also colorful and really quite family-friendly. No blood and gore.

Definitely worth $6 so far, I would have stayed up all night playing it but there was a PSN outage.

More
30 Jun 2015 16:48 #205187 by hotseatgames
Ziggurat is cool. Got it for $5 in the steam summer sale. I like that it's Quake-style fast. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it's well worth $5 and is nice when you only have a few moments to play. Like right now, in fact.

More
30 Jun 2015 23:46 #205208 by Motorik
My favorite old timey FPS back in the mid-90s was Quarantine, which is an FPS for all intents and purposes (particularly in the way it controls), but you're actually driving around a quarantined, grimy city in an armored, gun-equipped cab doing missions, running over mutants and dropping off passengers. That game had a weird hold on me when it first came out. I played it obsessively. I have no idea if it would still hold up, plus it's gory as holy hell.

On a totally unrelated note, how cool does this sound:

Her Story is certainly not what you would call a traditional video game. Set entirely on a police computer database in the English town of Portsmouth, it breaks a lot of new ground in terms of blending its narrative and gameplay in fascinating new ways. The game tells a grounded, personal narrative that, while dark at times, fleshes out a terribly believable character arc that gripped me from start to finish.

Her Story is a nonlinear exploration of narrative with no set ending. You've been tasked with reviewing evidence relating to a murder case that took place during the mid-'90s. The problem is, Portsmouth Police had only just moved from an analogue series of VHS tapes over to its new digitized system, and as as a result, the tagging of clips isn't yet a perfected art form. Your database starts with the word murder ready to search, then leaves you to explore the unfolding case in whatever order interests you most.

From the first set of clips tagged murder, I had several options of which narrative thread to pull at first. Did I want to look for clips related to the victim's name first? Maybe I should try to track down the name of the person accused of the crime? Perhaps I wanted to go in a completely different direction and try to find references to the murder weapon on the database. Right from the start, several different avenues opened up and the number of narrative options to explore only expanded as I went deeper into the case.

It's for PC and iOS. Reviewer gave it a perfect 10/10: www.destructoid.com/review-her-story-294991.phtml

More
01 Jul 2015 09:41 #205218 by Erik Twice

Michael Barnes wrote: I don't have a copy of any of the Doom games, Quake or Serious Sam

You can always play Team Fortress 2. It's far more strategical than any of those games, but it's the last "old-school FPS" of importance and, in my opinion, the best.

As far as Her Story goes...I'm actively disinterested in the game because it seems everytime someone talks about how a game is not "traditional" and is about "narrative" what they almost invariably means is that it's has a lot of videos and you "choose" which one is displayed next. The best game narratives are those created by the actions of the player not by cutscenes.

More
01 Jul 2015 10:07 #205221 by hotseatgames
TF2 doesn't scratch any itch related to Doom or Quake though. It's too slow and there is only MP. Most FPS games these days are too slow, in fact.

More
01 Jul 2015 10:37 #205223 by Erik Twice

hotseatgames wrote: TF2 doesn't scratch any itch related to Doom or Quake though. It's too slow and there is only MP. Most FPS games these days are too slow, in fact.

I think Team Fortress 2 is very comparable to Quake, specially since it started as a mod for it. The firefights work very similarly, there's the same focus on dodging, projectiles and controlling space and most classes Quake-styled weapon. It has a lot of twists and improvements to the basic engine, but it's the same engine.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.932 seconds