October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
11 Oct 2015 15:40 #212288 by Chaz

Legomancer wrote: Also asked him if he's heard anything good about this game, Pandemic Leprosy or something. Supposed to be the shit?

No, you're thinking of Pandemic: Dysentery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike, DukeofChutney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2015 16:29 #212289 by Black Barney
I love that game. I also purposely ensure that France gets hit bad

More
20 Oct 2015 12:00 #212889 by Shellhead
I bought Psycho Raiders and received it yesterday. Overall, I am happy with the appearance of the game, except for the components. The big ziplock bag seems like a fine way to store the game, but it is just a little bit small for the magazine containing the game, which I wanted to keep with the game. I don't mind that the mini-character sheets are meant to be photo-copied and written all over each game. But the cards are an awkward size for sleeves, and not sturdy enough to survive play without sleeves. Some of the cards are an awkward size that are too big for mini-sleeves and too small for normal sleeves. And some of the cards are too big for any sleeves. Pete mentioned that he laminated his set of cards, which sounds like a great idea. But I don't want buy a laminator for just this one game. Even a cold laminator is going to cost as much as the game if not more.

More
20 Oct 2015 12:24 #212890 by charlest
I sleeved them with some swan Panasia sleeves. Not sure what size though and don't have the packaging...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
20 Oct 2015 13:27 - 20 Oct 2015 13:28 #212895 by Delobius

Shellhead wrote: Pete mentioned that he laminated his set of cards, which sounds like a great idea. But I don't want buy a laminator for just this one game. Even a cold laminator is going to cost as much as the game if not more.

Shell, I've got a laminator - just buy some 3 or 5 mil lamination sleeves and you can use it.

Oh, uh, I bought all the BattleLore 2nd edition expansion stuff. I'm writing a little map campaign system for it. Also going to buy some Combat Commander stuff from the GMT sale...
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 13:28 by Delobius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
20 Oct 2015 13:38 #212898 by Hex Sinister
My local photo shop laminates stuff for like a buck a piece. Cheap and lazy.

More
20 Oct 2015 14:26 #212904 by Chaz
Psycho Raiders seems like the kind of game that's meant to look beat to hell and half falling apart. I'd just scan the cards in, then if you need to replace one that's disintegrated, just print out a new one and if it don't match, screw it, play anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ratpfink, Frohike, dontbecruel

More
20 Oct 2015 18:38 #212920 by wadenels

Chaz wrote: Psycho Raiders seems like the kind of game that's meant to look beat to hell and half falling apart. I'd just scan the cards in, then if you need to replace one that's disintegrated, just print out a new one and if it don't match, screw it, play anyway.

That's exactly what I did.

More
20 Oct 2015 18:45 #212921 by Michael Barnes
Yeah man, WTF...keeping that game in "mint condition? No way. It actually looks WRONG not tore the hell up.

I just got it too, a year later than I should have. It's BRILLIANT. The package, the concept, everything. The funny thing is that it is really an OLD school SPI/Avalon Hill style game. It has a lot in common with Legend of Robin Hood.

More genuinely maverick games like this, please. Less Kickstarter shit shoveled by the ton into the eager mouths of backers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Oct 2015 22:28 #212935 by Shellhead

Chaz wrote: Psycho Raiders seems like the kind of game that's meant to look beat to hell and half falling apart. I'd just scan the cards in, then if you need to replace one that's disintegrated, just print out a new one and if it don't match, screw it, play anyway.

I considered just playing Psycho Raiders as is, because it does seem like the game components should look beat up. And I also thought about the scan idea. I even considered just cutting down the bigger cards to fit standard sleeves. But I don't want to lose part of the art on those wild Kill cards. And while I am not obsessed with keeping a game in mint condition, marked cards would give me an unfair advantage as the game owner. A few marked cards in a big deck is no big deal, because those cards won't come up often and who can remember which mark is which. But Psycho Raiders has very few cards, so just a couple of marked cards are going to really stand out as obvious. I'm going the lamination route.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
20 Oct 2015 22:30 #212936 by Shellhead
Because of my own (limited) game design experience, I am often on the lookout for insights into the methods of other designers. So I just realized something. Psycho Raiders has 54 cards, not counting the oversize character cards. 52 cards in a normal deck of cards, plus 2 jokers. I bet they prototyped the game with a normal deck of cards and just wrote all over the white space on the cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, Gregarius

More
21 Oct 2015 13:15 #212984 by Chapel
In my quest to fill the Ancient AT gaps in my collection, I bought a copy of Starship Troopers this week, and an 3M copy of Aqcuire. My Avalon Hill collection is getting quite robust now. Really only a few things left to get with Magic Realm. That's my next target.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, OldHippy, Frohike, stoic, Cambyses

More
21 Oct 2015 13:22 #212986 by Mr. White
I like seeing GW Warrior Knights and Blood Royale on the shelf. Lookin' Good!

However, you are missing three crucial Avalon Hill titles:

I pimped my copy out with some sweet minis.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chapel, Frohike

More
31 Oct 2015 18:02 #213823 by OldHippy
So, I couldn't resist it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: engelstein

More
31 Oct 2015 19:05 #213827 by Gary Sax
My U.S. Civil War showed up last week, then yesterday fast food magnate arrived.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds