October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Oct 2021 11:50 #327412 by jpat
I don't think I've been as blown away by a vehicle in a SF movie as much as by the ornithopters in Dune (2021) since early Star Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Nodens, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2021 11:55 #327413 by n815e
I want to say I disagree that Villeneuve can’t inject emotion into his movies.

I find Blade Runner and Dune to be intensely emotional. Blade Runner was sometimes overwhelming in its emotion.

Like so many other aspects of these movies, the characters aren’t telling you that they are feeling something, they are showing it. The movies don’t waste time explaining the emotion, you have to be willing to pay attention to how the characters behave in reaction to what is happening to them. It’s natural in expression, not pronounced for the benefit of the audience.

I’m really impressed by this director. He is perfect for this type of story… these odysseys that have characters go through powerful, personal transformations and their experiential journeys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jpat, sornars, charlest, Gregarius, Nodens

More
25 Oct 2021 12:21 #327415 by charlest
Definitely agree. I re-watched Bladerunner 2049 yesterday and there are some extremely emotional moments.

When Joi is killed, when K is full of anger, and perhaps my favorite scene - the second time K is subjected to the baseline test and fails.

I also think Enemy and Prisoners are full of emotion.

Villeneuve presents emotion from a perhaps subtle angle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, n815e

More
25 Oct 2021 12:32 #327419 by hotseatgames
Prisoners is an amazing movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, charlest

More
25 Oct 2021 13:45 #327421 by Rliyen

n815e wrote: I want to say I disagree that Villeneuve can’t inject emotion into his movies.

I find Blade Runner and Dune to be intensely emotional. Blade Runner was sometimes overwhelming in its emotion.

Like so many other aspects of these movies, the characters aren’t telling you that they are feeling something, they are showing it. The movies don’t waste time explaining the emotion, you have to be willing to pay attention to how the characters behave in reaction to what is happening to them. It’s natural in expression, not pronounced for the benefit of the audience.

I’m really impressed by this director. He is perfect for this type of story… these odysseys that have characters go through powerful, personal transformations and their experiential journeys.

Agreed. Both The Boy and I were "YEAH! Drown that bitch!" when watching 2049. It was a worthy sequel and as a massive BR fan loved it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, n815e

More
25 Oct 2021 14:06 #327422 by Michael Barnes
The BG Mother Superior's line, "You have more than one heritage, boy. You are also your mother's son." I'm sure there are more like that in the movie that I hope to find on rewatch.

This blew me away because it touches on something neither of the previous films did. This references the Shortening of the Way that the Bene Gesserit are after, the Kwisatz Haderach is intended to be able to access both male and female genetic memories because the BG cannot. BUT…Villenueve goes further. When Paul used the Voice, the voice sound was both male and female. My eyebrows went up about five inches on my forehead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, n815e

More
25 Oct 2021 14:21 #327423 by jason10mm
I dunno, I'm hoping part 2 pays off the choices in part 1 but I have a hard time reconciling things like Leto telling Paul "It's ok if you don't accept leadership, you will always be all I've ever needed you to be....my son" (paraphrasing a bit) with Jessica's decision to defy the Bene Gesserit and GIVE Leto a son if he doesn't intend for that son to succeed him in House Atreides. Seems to me Leto expects a LOT from Paul. I preferred the sleeper speech Jurgen Prochnow gives Maclachlan and how it comes around for a grand payoff after the water of life. Leto 2021 also has a lot of suspicion towards Jessica since he questions whether or not she will prioritize Paul's life if the BG want him dead. These dynamics soften the very strong family core of self-sacrifice , duty, and honor that ought to be there.

Plus in Dune2021 there are a lot of these grand, but empty sets with just a few folks here and there. The performances need to fill these spaces IMHO, especially if subtle acting is going to be shot from a long ways off. If there was ever a story for scenery chewing, Dune is it.

I'm glad the Harkonnen weren't simply made into space nazis (or maybe the space Chinese if any studio would allow such a parallel to be made these days) and I'm optimistic that part 2 isn't gonna be an hour and a half of Paul mooning over Chiani and then a big long fight. Hopefully when viewed together this becomes what I hope it can be. I wish worm riding wasn't casually shown already (was that Kynes on top?) as that could have been a very impressive "holy crap, the Fremen can do that?!?!?" moment.

The mentat "white eye" thing was kinda funny since the trailer for The Eternals played right before and it features Angelina Jolie with a similar effect while she communes with some space dragon thingie. I wonder if one informed the other (it's probably been used in other films as well) since I usually attribute that look to possession or something similar. Made Thufir seem more mechanical, which I guess was probably the intent.

More
25 Oct 2021 14:23 #327424 by jason10mm

Michael Barnes wrote: …Villenueve goes further. When Paul used the Voice, the voice sound was both male and female. My eyebrows went up about five inches on my forehead.

We are all conditioned to obey when mama is angry :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 Oct 2021 16:28 #327426 by hotseatgames
I just re-watched the Lynch film. It's really wild watching these two films right next to each other! One thing that threw me in the new film, was how they pronounce Harkonnen, vs. the Lynch film, which is how I've always said it, because of that film.

Has there ever been an "official" way to pronounce that name?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, jason10mm

More
26 Oct 2021 11:06 #327441 by Ah_Pook
Watched Dune, it was good. I appreciate the way they didn't cram it with exposition about things that are cool about Dune but not super relevant to the movie.

Also, this ancient YouTube video is literally front and center in my mind any time I engage with anything Dune related.

The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
26 Oct 2021 14:50 #327451 by jason10mm
Dune part 2 announced by Legendary!

Eases my mind quite a bit. It seemed like a slam dunk given the result of part 1 but you never can tell. Curious if they increase or decrease the budget ($160ish mill for part 1, IIRC), hope the actors had a contract to return so this thing gets off the ground quickly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars, n815e

More
26 Oct 2021 14:57 #327453 by mezike
Got on the bandwagon today with Dune: Fellowship of the Ring.

I've read most of the books (rather like the Prana-Bindu rite it seems to be a test of how long you can stand to keep in on them, turns out I became an animal someway deep into Chapterhouse), my son has read the first book, and both my spouse and daughter went in cold. We all enjoyed it but the ladies were quite bemused, so I wonder what people who do not know the background of the bigger story will feel about the experience. It was all done very well though so the opacity could well end up being a hook rather than a confusion.

I think it'll come across much better in retrospect after the sequels are released and there is greater context and some payoff through a few more hours of runtime. Really hoping this will get an extended version on home release as well; I wasn't being facetious with the LotR nod, this totally felt both like the first step in an epic cycle and also that there were some scenes missing from the presentation, particularly with fleshing out some of the secondary characters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, jason10mm, sornars, n815e

More
26 Oct 2021 15:19 #327454 by jason10mm

Ah_Pook wrote: Watched Dune, it was good. I appreciate the way they didn't cram it with exposition about things that are cool about Dune but not super relevant to the movie.

Also, this ancient YouTube video is literally front and center in my mind any time I engage with anything Dune related.

Heh heh, so funny that this video picks the EXACT scenes that I feel illustrate the superiority of Dune1984 over Dune2021. The heightened emotion, the vocal exposition necessary for viewers to be clear about the plot and understand character motivations, the costuming details that work with the narrative and not against it. Granted, by the end Dune1984 is running full tilt into it's own cosmology but at least you can understand how it got there and you FEEL it when that rain comes down, no denying that was a masterful bit of work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
26 Oct 2021 15:29 #327456 by Shellhead
Dune (1984) failed at a fundamental level of storytelling. The first half is a great start, but the rest of the movie plays like an extended trailer for a non-existent sequel. It's gibberish to any viewer who didn't read at least the first book. I'm sorry if I just crapped on somebody's childhood, but that's the truth. The new Dune has its flaws, but definitely tells offers a coherent narrative. Ultimately, it will succeed or fail if the sequel delivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
26 Oct 2021 15:32 #327457 by jason10mm
He drinks the water of life and becomes a living god, what's confusing about that? :P

But yeah, the massive galactic civil war that probably follows Dune1984 wouldn't be pretty, but then again that basically happens anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.894 seconds