October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
13 Aug 2021 15:58 #325557 by jason10mm
Hmmm, a 4th wall breaking character would REALLY help a suicide squad film actually. They are already so silly ridiculous, moving into open mockery of the genre feels like the next step. The Harley Quinn cartoon is already almost there (or may have already done it, I don't recall)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2021 18:38 #325614 by hotseatgames
I watched Beckett, the latest Netflix film. The dude from Tenet is stuck in Greece, and through a series of misadventures has people trying to kill him.

The setup of the plot is tenuous at best, and some of the events rely way too much on coincidence.

This movie is not great. I think you could find a better way to spend your 2 hours. I hope you can, at least.

More
15 Aug 2021 23:44 #325623 by Varys
I thought Netflix was supposed to have a new movie every week. How many have been actually good? I guess the only one I can recall was the animated one about the family vs AI taking over the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
16 Aug 2021 02:04 - 16 Aug 2021 02:04 #325625 by Nodens
Yes, the somethings against the machines was a nice family film.
Spike Lee's 'da 5 bloods' was a Netflix flick, but other than that I can't remember either.
Palm Springs maybe?
Last edit: 16 Aug 2021 02:04 by Nodens.

More
16 Aug 2021 14:08 #325643 by jason10mm
A lot of netflix content (and amazon, hulu, etc) feels like they went to various creatives with a "what have you got that can get to screen in 12 months or less?" attitude that leads to half-baked stuff. Or they don't know how to reign in a creatives more.....impulsive inclinations (Bay and Snyder are 2 examples here) leading to something that could have used a few "no"s from the exec producers. Plus netflix seems to shoot for a 16 year old multinational viewer demographic with almost all their stuff, some one who is allowed to see gore and swearing (possibly editable for different regions?) but mommy and daddy would get upset if some skin showed up.

At least in their genre stuff. The Witcher was the last true adult show I've seen on that service in the vein of Game of Thrones. I don't really need sex in a show, The Expanse does just fine without much of it but it has a very mature tone to appeal to me that is also often missing in a lot of streaming stuff.

HBO is about the only place I expect 100% polished visionary stuff and even they are showing the strain of the mass proliferation of opportunity diluting the waters and the race to get shit on a server to grab those subscriptions.

I don't know where the streaming wars will lead us but at this point I'd almost pay for a hub service that automatically switches my streaming service each month but keeps me informed about what and how long each show is available and what I can expect next month. Remembering where I saw something to finish it or watch it again is exhausting. One of these services has a bunch of Blumhouse stuff (low budget horror) which are usually pretty good but for the life of me I can't remember which one it is to specifically go there to watch some.

More
16 Aug 2021 15:10 - 16 Aug 2021 15:12 #325646 by Shellhead
Amazon Prime has the Blumhouse movies. I haven't been in much of a horror mood in recent times, but plan to try some of the Blumhouse stuff in the fall.

Thanks to HBO Max, I watched the Rush Hour trilogy over the weekend. Jackie Chan is great as usual. Chris Tucker is a lot of fun, but he is just barely more funny than annoying. Then again, he was even more annoying in The Fifth Element, and yet still good. Like any other Jackie Chan movie that I have seen, the end credits feature amusing outtakes from the movie. My two favorite outtakes feature Chris Tucker going meta. In the closing credits to Rush Hour 2, he watches a bad guy plummet to his death and tells the camera, "He won't be back for Rush Hour 3!" In the closing credits to Rush Hour 3, Jackie tells Chris "You're not my brother!" Chris replies, "How can you say that, after all we've been through together? Like Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2!" The stories are thin but workable in each movie, and serve to set up a mixture of jokes and good fight choreography, plus the occasional chase scene or explosion.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2021 15:12 by Shellhead. Reason: typo

More
16 Aug 2021 16:34 #325650 by hotseatgames
Back when Predator 2 came out on VHS, my friends and I watched it, eager for more Predator. We all agreed that it sucked. What a let-down after the magnificent first film, which still holds up today.

Recently I saw some people defending the film, that it had gotten a bad wrap. They mentioned all of the stars in it, and yes, it does have stars. So last night, I decided to take another look at Predator 2. It's on Prime.

Those people were wrong, and very young me was right. Predator 2 fucking sucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
16 Aug 2021 16:50 #325653 by jason10mm
I gotta give PRed2 another go because normally I would defend it but that is based on like 20 year old memories. One thing I remember but doesn't get a lot of play in Predator lore was the ability to switch from infrared to other spectrums of vision (he goes to UV when the hunters are in thermal gear in the warehouse). IIRC one of the old FPS AvP games had predator vision modes that emphasized anti-human (heat vision) and anti-alien (kind of a rapid motion cat vision thing) but I always thought it was cool that predator COULD see other things, just chose not to most of the time. Doesn't get utilized much in other predator stuff though, I don't recall them using it at all in the AvP or more recent pred films.

Another thing that kinda fits into the Mandela effect is that I SWEAR that in Predator there is a scene when the predator first looks over Arnold covered in mud (when he first crawled out of the pond) and you can clearly see a monochromatic arnold in the scene. But sometimes I can see him, sometimes I don't. Can anyone else confirm they see an arnold? I think this sort of thing is due to various edits floating out in TVland in the old days but man is it annoying.

More
16 Aug 2021 16:55 #325654 by hotseatgames
Yes you absolutely see Arnold staring right at the Predator when he is covered in mud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
16 Aug 2021 17:02 #325655 by Shellhead
Predator 2 did have a good cast, and I only remember two things about it: crushing disappointment and a cool easter egg that linked the Aliens franchise to the Predator franchise.

If you want to see a decent sequel to Predator, you need to watch Predators. It is a solid 7 on a 10-point scale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Varys

More
16 Aug 2021 17:13 #325657 by jason10mm

hotseatgames wrote: Yes you absolutely see Arnold staring right at the Predator when he is covered in mud.

Good, then most of the time I'm in universe 616, with the Berenstain Bears, Jaws hooking up with a woman with braces, and Mandela survived prison :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
16 Aug 2021 17:17 #325658 by jason10mm

Shellhead wrote: If you want to see a decent sequel to Predator, you need to watch Predators. It is a solid 7 on a 10-point scale.

My main complaint about Predators was that Rodriquez filmed a good chunk of in his backyard and it LOOKS IT. An alien planet should NEVER look like scrublands around Austin! I'll accept Pacific northwest forests, blasted Tunisian deserts, and southern california 5 minutes from the studio backlot, but not AUSTIN :P

More
16 Aug 2021 17:39 #325659 by Disgustipater
Free Guy is an easy, light, predictable but decent movie with some funny scenes. There’s a lot of “that’s not how video games work” stuff but you can’t really make a movie about it that’s not boring if you don’t bend the rules a bit, so I was able to suspend my naysaying long enough to enjoy it.

There was also a hilarious (IMO) cameo that I absolutely loved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
17 Aug 2021 01:00 #325675 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: Predator 2 did have a good cast, and I only remember two things about it: crushing disappointment and a cool easter egg that linked the Aliens franchise to the Predator franchise.

If you want to see a decent sequel to Predator, you need to watch Predators. It is a solid 7 on a 10-point scale.

I'm just the opposite of upthread. For me Predator 2 was a perfectly cromulent movie, and Predators sucked ass. I just couldn't buy Badass Adrian Brody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek

More
17 Aug 2021 09:29 #325684 by jpat
My only memory of Predators 2 was that it was playing at the local multiplex where I was going to college on the day that my apartment was hit by a very localized tornado, and rather than dealing with the fallout, my intent was to go see Predators 2 until my mom, on the phone, talked me out of it. Still haven't seen it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.866 seconds