October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Jul 2021 17:53 #324603 by Brewmiester
Shout Factory was having a sale last week and I picked up a few things. So far I've made it through Knightriders and Damnation Alley. Now watching The Shadow with Alec Baldwin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2021 19:12 #324605 by hotseatgames
Based on the discussions here, I decided to also watch Bo Burnham's Inside. It's a lot to process. I laughed out loud at the white woman Instagram song. The depressing parts are more impactful. It took guts for him to leave some of that stuff in there.

I imagine it will be much less powerful for someone who didn't live through last year. I wish I could find out for myself, but that train has sailed.

I come to this from the perspective of someone who has no real idea who this guy is. I have never seen any of his standup. I would say it's worth watching, but don't expect to feel great about it after.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars

More
11 Jul 2021 20:26 #324606 by jay718
Haven't seen it in years, but I looove Knightriders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
11 Jul 2021 20:47 #324607 by DarthJoJo

ChristopherMD wrote: Black Widow - If I made a Top 20 MCU movie list this wouldn't make it. ScarJo can carry an action movie with a bad script (see: Lucy) but she couldn't make this movie entertaining. David Harbour was fun in it although sadly underused.

Hard disagree. I would easily place Black Widow in the top quartile of the MCU, which I guess is top seven or so. The stakes were appropriately personal until the last ten minutes, the jokes and family themes weren’t overly hammered, and all of the leads seemed to be enjoying themselves and made their roles their own. David Harbour running around the prison and the final escape from the Red Room made me laugh at the audacity of cinema.

My only complaint (beside Taskmaster absolutely refusing to run) was that Black Widow kind of got lost in her own film. Her sister shared all of her motivation and skills but got to have a bigger personality. Scarlett Johansson, unfortunately, never went as big as Chris Pratt at the end of the second Guardians or Hemsworth in Infinity War, and I don’t think the character will ever have that one moment everyone remembers.

We’ve also officially passed the point where you can just drop into an MCU movie without doing your homework. For a straightforward story of a super spy destroying a secret organization that brainwashes children into assassins and without any significant cameos or lead-ins to the next movie, I have to imagine people would be pretty confused by everyone talking about the Avengers breaking up and constantly asking their friends “Who’s that? Are they important?”
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, sornars

More
11 Jul 2021 22:02 #324609 by Gregarius
Yeah, Inside really snuck up on me. Parts of it are stunningly brilliant. I definitely plan to watch it again, but at a time when I can focus without being self-conscious.

I hope you are able to carve out the time to take care of yourself, Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars

More
11 Jul 2021 22:11 #324610 by jason10mm
BW certainly seems to be doing pretty well on streaming, I think I saw quoyes of 60 mill from D+ and 80 mill BO, which means almost twice the disney revenue from streaming since they presumably pocket almost all of it.

And just to uncross the streams, I moved this over here from the tv thread...

Watched Palm Springs on Hulu. This is another "Groundhog Day" scenario, which after Boss Level was even more interesting. The wife picked this one out. Adam Sandberg keeping it surprisingly toned down compared to most of his performances, J.K. Simmons being excellent as always, and a female lead, Cristin Milioti, I'm not familiar with but sorta carried the film. Anyway, it hits all the familiar GD tropes but continues to add to the genre and like I said before, I'm a sucker for this stuff. These type films seem to split along a "we gotta science our way out of this" and "its a morality play!" divide but the best ones hop back and forth IMHO

More
12 Jul 2021 05:58 - 22 Jul 2021 10:20 #324611 by avensis
black widow. Lots of action, a lot of background from the Avengers universe, a little humor, effective for distraction.

SHAREit MX Player
Last edit: 22 Jul 2021 10:20 by avensis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
12 Jul 2021 07:14 #324613 by jason10mm

avensis wrote: black widow. Lots of action, a lot of background from the Avengers universe, a little humor, effective for distraction

With a little editing this could be a haiku :)

More
12 Jul 2021 10:59 #324615 by Joebot

DarthJoJo wrote: Hard disagree. I would easily place Black Widow in the top quartile of the MCU, which I guess is top seven or so. The stakes were appropriately personal until the last ten minutes, the jokes and family themes weren’t overly hammered, and all of the leads seemed to be enjoying themselves and made their roles their own. David Harbour running around the prison and the final escape from the Red Room made me laugh at the audacity of cinema.

I watched Black Widow at home on Disney+ with 3 of my kids. Not having to go to a theater was absolutely delightful, and saved me some money (tickets around here are $12/each). Especially because my youngest is 11 and unvaccinated. I don't care if I never go to a theater again.

Anyway, I thought the movie was fine. Another solid, competent outing from Marvel. As always with the MCU, the secret weapon is the casting. Everyone was great, especially Florence Pugh and David Harbour. I liked the first 3/4 a lot, and then it turned into a super formulaic "giant thing falls from the sky" Marvel climax. But, the formula works, so I don't begrudge them going back to it, I suppose.

In some ways the movie felt like old news. Maybe because it's been postponed for so long, but also because it rolls back to pre-Infinity War. I'm excited about the rest of the MCU slate this year (Shang Chi, Eternals, Spidey 3), as those will push things forward, and also introduce a ton of new characters. I feel like Marvel is a baseball team who just traded off a bunch of old expensive players (Tony, Steve, Nat, etc.), and are retooling for another run by signing a bunch of prospects. Can they do it again? I wouldn't bet against them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, mtagge, DarthJoJo

More
12 Jul 2021 11:08 #324616 by Msample
Finally got around to watching TENET. I had read the Wikipedia plot summary beforehand several times and it helped decipher the movie to the point where I pretty much understood it. That said, it was fairly long; had I been in a theater it would have had a hard time holding my interest. Like other Nolan movies it has moments of technical brilliance, but also some plodding bits and as usual dicey sound mixing in places with regards to dialog. While COVID def played a part in its mediocre theater reception, had I seen it in a theater I can't say I'd recommend people run out and see it. As a filmmaker he seems so wrapped up in his cleverness he seems to forget that given his budget, he needs to make films more accessible than they are sometimes.

More
12 Jul 2021 13:11 #324619 by jeb
We had a little viewing party for BLACK WIDOW here. My teens had a couple friends over, and I got the most out of my big-ass TV and decent enough 5.1 soundsystem. There was some low booooooooooom rumble in the intro that made them say "Wow!" Six viewers for $30 and we got to pause it here and there? I might also be in the "don't need a theatre" mode. Everyone had to be fully vaxxed, and I am still a little leery, my 9yo is not yet vaxxed and this is unmasked folks indoors. Hope it all works out.

As for the movie, it's fine. Florence Pugh was great. She's like Black Widow except emotionally available. The action set pieces were well done, which is hit and miss with MCU stuff. I've mentioned (I think?) that the set pieces in THE FALCON & THE WINTER SOLDIER are trash. The end scene was nuts and noted it out loud. The story has cool beats, but the bad guy monologue is so over the top. SO over the top. Just ridiculous mustache-twirling evilness. Everyt time they win with the writing they blow it like 30 sec later. Pretty uneven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Jul 2021 13:40 #324621 by Shellhead
HBO Max rescued me from watching the rest of the Harry Potter movies by taking them down. So I instead resumed my gradual re-watch of the MCU movies, phase one through three.

Spider-man: Homecoming is a pretty decent movie. I am grateful that they skipped his origin story, which was already handled in each previous Spider-man franchise, both live-action and animated. And the comics, of course. Most super-heroes that can carry an ongoing monthly comic actually have a decent origin story, but Spider-man's is a little small and personal for the big scale of the MCU movies. This movie is funnier than most superhero movies, but in a particular way where the protagonist ends up in many awkward situations, which is not my favorite type of comedy.

Like most MCU movies, Homecoming runs slightly long, but it covers a lot of ground. Unlike most MCU heroes, Peter Parker has a secret identity to protect, plus he is dealing with school and growing up. He is also struggling to prove himself as a hero. Tony Stark isn't in this movie much, but his presence is felt and the scenes with Parker are all worthwhile. And when Spider-man gets the upgraded suit with the Alexa-style assistant, their interactions are amusing and very relatable. And then there is the Vulture, played by Michael Keaton. He is a hard-working business owner who gets screwed out of a major contract by a new federal agency created to deal with the aftermath of the Chitauri invasion in the first Avengers movie. He turns to crime to take care of his employees and his family and gradually loses his way but never quite loses his humanity or honor. Zendaya has a small role, but manages to steal a couple of scenes, setting her up for a bigger role in the next Spider-man movie.

More
12 Jul 2021 14:48 #324624 by jpat
National Lampoon was right to have left their name off of Vegas Vacation, a supposed comedy in the hit-or-miss Vacation franchise that lacks anything funny to recommend it, although the typically underused and witty Beverly D'Angelo gets more than usual to do.

I don't know quite why I'd never gotten around to Midnight Run, the DeNiro-Grodin mismatched-buddy comedy-action movie about a discontented cop-turned-bounty-hunter (DeNiro) and a white-collar criminal on the lam (Grodin). The interpersonal aspects are the best part here, with DeNiro and Grodin shining, while the situational comedy and fairly barebones action plot fare adequately after some 30 years.

I don't really have anything much to say about Black Widow other than it's not particularly great at anything it tries to do but, admittedly, had a big hole to dig out with how the title character had been often poorly treated by past films. It would certainly have been better had it released during its point in the narrative timeline.

More
12 Jul 2021 15:13 #324625 by charlest
Yeah, Midnight Run is a good film. I need to re-watch that.

More
12 Jul 2021 15:36 - 13 Jul 2021 05:26 #324627 by sornars
Add me to the chorus of voices telling you to watch Bo Burnham: Inside. I also had no real idea of who this guy was going in but watched it based on the strength of the recommendations here. I’m somebody that has had, by most conventional measures, a pretty good 2020-2021; he has still managed to capture a mood and aesthetic that is immensely relatable even if I don't share some of his more personal demons. After the first few minutes I was very worried that it was going to be some self-indulgent millennial nonsense and in a way it was, but it was definitely worth my time. The music is super catchy and the lyrics are very funny in a Weird Al-esque way, but with a lot more of an edgy/darker twist. I have spent the better part of the weekend dwelling on it so it definitely has caused me to reflect a bit too.

In any case, Bo looks to be a bit of a renaissance man with a supporting acting credit as the romantic lead in an Oscar nominated film (Promising Young Woman), a directing credit in a critically acclaimed film (Eighth Grade) all in addition to his standup/musical/YouTube stuff. I'll be checking out his back catalogue after this. The lighting/production of Inside was amazing; the fact that it was a one man show makes it all the more impressive.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2021 05:26 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.262 seconds