October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
08 Jul 2021 11:24 #324513 by Gregarius

Sagrilarus wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Is that the one with the retro space suits / ship interiors? I think I watched it on Netflix. Well worth it.

Not available on Netflix in any of the countries I tried. Is there a trick to it?

I watched it on Kanopy, which is a streaming service that's free to anyone with a library card. I highly recommend it. It focuses more on arthouse, foreign, and documentary cinema (awesome), but it has newish mainstream films as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, Ancient_of_MuMu, sornars, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2021 12:14 #324515 by Sagrilarus

Gregarius wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Is that the one with the retro space suits / ship interiors? I think I watched it on Netflix. Well worth it.

Not available on Netflix in any of the countries I tried. Is there a trick to it?

I watched it on Kanopy, which is a streaming service that's free to anyone with a library card. I highly recommend it. It focuses more on arthouse, foreign, and documentary cinema (awesome), but it has newish mainstream films as well.

I owe this man a beer. We all owe this man a beer.

Gregarius -- put your address and brand preference in the thread so we can all send you a beer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
08 Jul 2021 20:07 #324529 by Ancient_of_MuMu
There is a reason everyone is turning back to piracy. For a few years there when there was only netflix and Hulu and everything was there everyone was happy and stopped pirating shows, but every company trying to get their cut with there own streaming service has fragmented things and driven people away because you can't find what you want any more.

I hate what has happened so much as companies could have had it so good by keeping things centralized and sharing revenue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, mezike, Varys, BillyBobThwarton

More
08 Jul 2021 20:17 #324530 by Sagrilarus
Nobody wants that middleman to get a slice of their pie.

And they all think their content is compelling.

In a couple of years this will all consolidate into a duopoly, maybe three, no more than four. Everyone is consolidating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ancient_of_MuMu

More
08 Jul 2021 20:20 #324531 by Gary Sax
They're all fueled by venture capital with a goal of achieving monopoly pricing power after losing tons of money but destroying competitors. Some of the services are turning the corner on thinking about making money instead of revenue growth so shit is only going to get worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
08 Jul 2021 20:27 #324532 by jason10mm
I'm pretty ok with just subscription rotation, none of these services has much, if any, MUST SEE content and the watercooler discussion around ANY tv is basically gone due to fragmentation. I've gotten a few family passwords for some services which is not quite piracy though I imagine the streamers would love to cut it out if they could.

I think some of my tepid attitude towards streamer releases is seeing it on TV instead of the full blown theater experience. However I think that they put out a lot of rushed or half-baked content because their measure of success is anything that keeps you from cancelling, rather than what motivates you to get a sitter and go out on a date. So $15/mo versus $80+ at least for a single film.

But nothing of the caliber of Top Gun 2, No Time to Die, Avatar 2, or Mission Impossible is coming to streaming as far as I can tell and until it does, they will always be second tier in my book. I'll be curious to see how Black Widow fares versus F9 since BW is sorta straddling the line between streaming and pure theatrical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
10 Jul 2021 11:18 #324572 by hotseatgames
Having been years since I first saw it, last night on a whim I watched The Game again. It's on Netflix right now. Wow, this movie holds up. A repeat viewing can't replicate the mind fuckery of your first viewing, but it's definitely worth watching again.

David Fincher is one of my favorite directors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, jason10mm, DarthJoJo

More
10 Jul 2021 12:21 #324574 by Jackwraith
Am also a big Fincher fan: Fight Club, Zodiac, Se7en, The Game, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl; all somewhere between interesting and excellent. That's why I was surprised how disaffected I was with Mank. I got about halfway through it and just didn't care and was on the verge of falling asleep which, if you have any experience with his films and the level of tension and intrigue that he builds, is saying a lot. I guess I should try again, at some point, given how lauded it was, but it just didn't work for me at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
10 Jul 2021 13:02 #324577 by Ah_Pook
Has anyone watched this Werewolves Within movie? The trailer looks kind of great, and I'm curious to see a movie based on a vr game based on a boardgame... It's just a weird thing to exist.

More
10 Jul 2021 19:35 #324585 by ChristopherMD
Black Widow - If I made a Top 20 MCU movie list this wouldn't make it. ScarJo can carry an action movie with a bad script (see: Lucy) but she couldn't make this movie entertaining. David Harbour was fun in it although sadly underused.

More
10 Jul 2021 21:04 #324586 by jason10mm
Reviews and opinions for BW are ALL over the place. Think I'll just wait for it to be on regular D+.

More
11 Jul 2021 04:17 - 11 Jul 2021 04:23 #324591 by Frohike
I watched Inside tonight, never having heard of Bo Burnham until I overheard snippets of “All Eyes On Me” through TikTok and my teenage daughter singing along to the lyrics in this uncanny, blasé way (“You say the ocean's rising like I give a shit. You say the whole world's ending, honey, it already did”) that made me realize I should probably tune into the source. A generational artifact seemed to be afoot.

She didn’t watch it with me, only in an ambient way around the end while blaring her phone occasionally or commenting on Bo’s underwear. My wife dropped in at the end when it took a shift for the meta.

This is kind of my reality now that I work from home and spend my entire day with the family. I have these intense personal experiences with media or audiobooks while the family just flows around it, driving by.

So I’m sitting here now, tapping on my phone, destroyed by this “comedy special” while Hunter chatters in the other room, some inscrutable language in his game of Tarkov, the only occasion for which he seems to fully wake up as the rest of the house prepares for sleep.

I think Inside hit me really hard because it slipped in with some initially innocuous, if somewhat dark, Weird Al stylings, wrapped in COVID self-isolation (I laughed pretty hard at Socko’s existential demise)… that gradually becomes more crushing as Bo realizes how much of a long haul it’s becoming. He’s really not well at the end, and I was stunned at how much I squirmed and suppressed some tears while half of the family was in the same room, mostly tuned out. He shifts into an Andy Kaufmanesque remove to close out the show, but the moments right before “All Eyes On Me” hemorrhage their way through it, not quite contained.

It made me realize how isolated I’ve been for the past 1.5 years, even in a family household, and how much I haven’t processed any of this, and how I’m pretty sure I’m… not ok either. I’ve been quiet here and most other platforms because I’ve been at a loss for what to say almost all of the time. I’m tired of building a hermit crab shell of words every place I go, and I’m trying to come to terms with what that means.

My family is starting to emerge from the tunnel. My wife finished her Masters in social work and is slowly shifting away from ballroom gigs. My daughter might finally acquiesce to some CBT if only so she can take the vaccine without having an attack. My son, after a year of depression, meds, therapy, and dropping all college plans, is getting back to cruising altitude.

But I still feel kind of blinded, fumbling, & obstinately self-isolated. It almost feels like agoraphobia but the threshold isn’t a door, and I feel myself waking up into it. Bo described that disturbingly well too.

So anyway, dropping the crab shell: I think I need to do some self-work and Inside was a moving watch for me. I wasn’t expecting it, but apparently needed to be unnerved by it.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2021 04:23 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, sornars, charlest, Gregarius, Nodens, Ah_Pook

More
11 Jul 2021 14:38 - 11 Jul 2021 15:01 #324600 by charlest
I mentioned Inside several pages back. It really unnerved me as well and hasn't really left my mind. I've watched it about four and a half times now. I think it's brilliant.

I've been a Bo Burnham fan for years but hadn't seen his latest special in 2016 or kept up with him. I did not expect Inside to be what it was.

Hope you get better Paul.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2021 15:01 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
11 Jul 2021 15:43 - 11 Jul 2021 15:44 #324601 by hotseatgames
At the behest of my children, I have now watched all of the Demon Slayer anime and its associated theatrical release film.

The film does at least look nicer than the series. Not that the series looks bad; I just like it when you can tell there was extra effort for the film.

While the series has its moments, for the most part, this property is not aimed at my demographic. And that's fine, let the youngs enjoy it.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2021 15:44 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
11 Jul 2021 16:52 - 11 Jul 2021 16:53 #324602 by Frohike
I still need to see the movie. I really enjoyed watching the series with my son & it was one of the better shonen I've seen in awhile. He's still prodding me through Attack on Titan, which I'm also enjoying. On a related note, he decided to learn Japanese & has begun to study it on his own, kanji and everything :blink: I think there may be a visit to (or gig in) Japan in his future.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2021 16:53 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds