October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
23 Sep 2020 11:30 #314440 by Nodens
Urgh, you're right. Forgot about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2020 13:02 #314455 by RobertB

DarthJoJo wrote: If I’m remembering the novel right, Malcolm was on the island because John Hammond thought chaos theory was cool. That’s it.

That makes sense. I remember chaos theory and fractals were big in popular science back then.

More
23 Sep 2020 13:09 #314457 by RobertB

jason10mm wrote: But Chrighton wrote the book first, right? His earlier directorial efforts were pretty good. Maybe not Mctiernan good but then again mctiernan did "Medicine Man" so he isn't infallible :p

McTiernan gets a pass for life after doing Predator, Die Hard, and Die Hard With a Vengeance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jason10mm

More
23 Sep 2020 14:28 #314464 by Space Ghost

DarthJoJo wrote: If I’m remembering the novel right, Malcolm was on the island because John Hammond thought chaos theory was cool. That’s it.

We watched this for the first time with the kids the other night. I forgot that Goldblum's complete explanation of Chaos Theory (the first time he was asked) was "nonlinear equations...stuff like that"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
23 Sep 2020 14:44 - 23 Sep 2020 14:54 #314465 by Sagrilarus
I read the book before I saw the movie, and if I recall correctly each chapter led off with a snippet on chaos theory, each less relevant than the one that preceeded it. Crichton simply didn't apply any of it correctly, trying to equate genetic variation over time with regions of instability. (I was writing a paper on the chaotic orbit of Pluto at the time.) Chaos and complexity are not the same thing. Both start with C but that's where the similarities end.

I appreciate he's a pop-novel author, but his arrogance on the subjects was the stuff of legend. "I sold a million books, how can it be wrong?" The Duke of Gaslight in his day.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 14:54 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB, Jackwraith, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
23 Sep 2020 16:41 - 23 Sep 2020 16:46 #314468 by RobertB

Sagrilarus wrote: I read the book before I saw the movie, and if I recall correctly each chapter led off with a snippet on chaos theory, each less relevant than the one that preceeded it. Crichton simply didn't apply any of it correctly, trying to equate genetic variation over time with regions of instability. (I was writing a paper on the chaotic orbit of Pluto at the time.) Chaos and complexity are not the same thing. Both start with C but that's where the similarities end.

I appreciate he's a pop-novel author, but his arrogance on the subjects was the stuff of legend. "I sold a million books, how can it be wrong?" The Duke of Gaslight in his day.

You've got a better memory than I have. I read it when it came out, and I remember that we recreated dinosaurs, and it turns out they eat people.

I do remember that Crichton exaggerated the size of a velociraptor just a tad.

ETA: I do remember that a lot of changes in dinosaur paleontology started appearing in popular science in the 80's and 90's. It turned out that some were warm-blooded, some had feathers, brontosauruses walked on land, etc. That also appeared in both the book and the movie.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 16:46 by RobertB.

More
23 Sep 2020 16:45 - 23 Sep 2020 17:05 #314469 by Sagrilarus

RobertB wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I read the book before I saw the movie, and if I recall correctly each chapter led off with a snippet on chaos theory, each less relevant than the one that preceeded it. Crichton simply didn't apply any of it correctly, trying to equate genetic variation over time with regions of instability. (I was writing a paper on the chaotic orbit of Pluto at the time.) Chaos and complexity are not the same thing. Both start with C but that's where the similarities end.

You've got a better memory than I have. I read it when it came out, and I remember that we recreated dinosaurs, and it turns out they eat people.

I do remember that Crichton exaggerated the size of a velociraptor just a tad.

It's just not scary to be eaten by ducks.

Warm-blooded dinosaurs had been twigged out by the late 70s. I had a science teacher in elementary school tell me I was stupid for saying that. Another teacher that found a way to reach me, just not in the way he intended.

Crichton's biggest crime for me personally was the implied morality of his books. Predators like diseases and dinosaurs had an uncanny ability to kill only the people that showed hubris or other moral shortcomings. It's lazy storytelling that makes for non-gripping endings. But what do I know. He sold millions of books, so his writing must have been good.

Don't hear much about him or his books these days.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2020 17:05 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB, Jackwraith

More
23 Sep 2020 17:10 #314470 by jeb

Sagrilarus wrote: It's just not scary to be eaten by ducks.

Agree to disagree!

Annoying shit I remember from Crichton works:
That's not how chaos theory works.
That's not how DNA works (twice!).
That's not UNIX.
That's not how gorillas communicate (even Koko).
That's not how Neanderthals work.
That's not how genetic research works.

Too bad Crichton never wrote a book about the Dunning-Kruger effect, because I would think he's a fucking expert.

Making a list of movies to watch with my kids. They haven't seen shit. Please recommend good movies that a family can watch, either in Parent, Parent, Teen, Teen mode or the more complicated Parent, Parent, Teen, Teen, Tween, Tween mode. Guideposts: Marvel/LOTR movies are too violent for the tween mode. Teen mode has not yet forgiven me for making them watch LABYRINTH.

Ideas so far:
Ghostbusters
The Sting
Close Encounters
This Is Spinal Tap
Best In Show
Amelie
Insterstellar
Inception
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Nodens

More
23 Sep 2020 17:12 #314471 by Msample

RobertB wrote:

jason10mm wrote: But Chrighton wrote the book first, right? His earlier directorial efforts were pretty good. Maybe not Mctiernan good but then again mctiernan did "Medicine Man" so he isn't infallible :p

McTiernan gets a pass for life after doing Predator, Die Hard, and Die Hard With a Vengeance.

That pass could arguably be revoked for his execrable ROLLERBALL remake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB, jason10mm

More
23 Sep 2020 20:13 #314477 by DarthJoJo

jeb wrote: Ideas so far:
Ghostbusters
The Sting
Close Encounters
This Is Spinal Tap
Best In Show
Amelie
Insterstellar
Inception

Princess Bride
The more cartoonish Jackie Chan films
Moulin Rouge
Strictly Ballroom
Stardust
Coraline

More
24 Sep 2020 00:25 - 24 Sep 2020 00:26 #314482 by RobertB

jeb wrote: Making a list of movies to watch with my kids. They haven't seen shit. Please recommend good movies that a family can watch, either in Parent, Parent, Teen, Teen mode or the more complicated Parent, Parent, Teen, Teen, Tween, Tween mode. Guideposts: Marvel/LOTR movies are too violent for the tween mode. Teen mode has not yet forgiven me for making them watch LABYRINTH.

Ideas so far:
Ghostbusters
The Sting
Close Encounters
This Is Spinal Tap
Best In Show
Amelie
Insterstellar
Inception

I wouldn't put Spinal Tap on there, because I think you need the rock band/rockumentary background before you can appreciate a parody of it.

Some for the lists:
Back to the Future (all three)
Jumanji (the new one) and Jumanji 2.
All the Harry Potter movies
Superman
Last edit: 24 Sep 2020 00:26 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample

More
24 Sep 2020 00:49 #314483 by Andi Lennon
Movie list for kids without The Neverending Story????? It's almost like you don't even want them traumatised for life by a drowning horse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, mezike, Disgustipater

More
24 Sep 2020 06:19 #314484 by mezike
My kids are 14 and (almost) 13 so I gave them a pop-quiz this morning and asked them what their current favourite films are.

Inception (both cited this as their current top favourite. The suicide scene and some of the gunplay could be a little rough for Jeb's younger ones though)
Jumanji (the two modern ones)
Harry Potter series
BTTF series (although the first two films both have a couple of slightly pervy moments that were awkward to sit through)
Lego Movie (son still loves this, daughter not so much)
Mission Impossible series (daughters pick, son not so keen)
Interstellar (son's strong pick, daughter found it too long-winded)
Percy Jackson series (might be in their minds just because they are currently reading the books though)

Also a big shout out for Cheaper by the Dozen 2 which has been a strong family movie for us for a good few years - the first one is hindered by trying too hard to make a point and overshadowing the comedy with morality, the sequel is straight-up good fun with the ridiculous rivalry between the two dads, slapstick hi-jinks, and the nice happy love-thy-neighbour ending.

More
24 Sep 2020 11:31 #314494 by jeb

Andi Lennon wrote: Movie list for kids without The Neverending Story????? It's almost like you don't even want them traumatised for life by a drowning horse.

Not to mention ATRAAAAYYYUUUUUUUUUUbutseriously I think this one falls in the LABYRINTH category. And that dog would fuck up the whole family for life.
  • BACK TO THE FUTURE might work. I remember the second one being gross? Anyone back* me up on this?
  • Maybe WARGAMES would work?
  • I tried watching REMO WILLIAMS again. Joel Grey instead of literally any Korean person kind of stands out though, yikes.
  • They've seen some of the HARRY POTTER movies (teens all, tweens some). They are kind of bad though. Not like KRULL which was a towering cinematic achievement I remember fondly from my youth.

Thanks! I will try some of these out!

*in time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Andi Lennon

More
24 Sep 2020 11:45 #314495 by charlest
Not a single mention of Indiana Jones?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.710 seconds