October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Jun 2015 15:02 #204934 by Disgustipater
No wonder Barney seems to like most movies; he doesn't actually pay attention when watching them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2015 15:48 #204938 by Black Barney
there's a lot of stuff going on in that movie!

More
25 Jun 2015 21:53 #204952 by Ancient_of_MuMu

craniac wrote: Black Barney only has one game.

I've been wanting to see MMFR again. The first time I was stressed about life and walked to the theater in a small sandstorm with my sons, so it affected my suspension of disbelief somehow because I was in Dad mode or something.

The wrong job can seep into your everyday life and warp your perspective.

For some reason this makes me hope that you are a disillusioned hitman about to turn on the crime family that employs you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Jul 2015 10:57 #205685 by ChristopherMD
Black Barney has mostly awful taste in movies.

That is all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jul 2015 11:28 #205692 by Ska_baron
I saw Inside Out and thought it was the best Pixar since Monster's Inc (my favorite). Their unique world again drew me in and I think the description I saw somewhere online that it "wasn't a kids move for adults, but rather an adult movie for kids" was pretty damn accurate. Kudos, Pixar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jul 2015 11:40 #205694 by boothwah

Mad Dog wrote: Black Barney has mostly awful taste in movies.

That is all.

And dresses. Truly dreadful taste in dresses.

I love that BB watches a lot of artsy flicks, and then tells me about them, so then I can feel awful without actually having to sit through them. I remember one time he reviewed that whole Before Sunrise/Sunset series so that I could tactically avoid them with my wife at the video store. Probably saved our marriage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Hex Sinister, Black Barney

More
08 Jul 2015 14:52 #205738 by Black Barney
*after watching Before Sunrise/Sunset together*

Booth's wife: Why don't you ever talk to me for 2 straight unedited hours like those two beautiful people just did?"
Booth: Why don't you have sex with me in the park?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, boothwah, Erik Twice

More
12 Jul 2015 21:39 #206096 by Black Barney
just watched NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN for the third or fourth time, can't remember which. Goddamit if that isn't the best adapted screenplay I've ever seen. I'm scared out of my mind in one second and laughing in the next. The whole time just in total awe on how smart and amazing that script is the entire time. Has anyone ever read the book? Is it any good? I'll probably never read it but I'm curious if some of the best lines are word-for-word from the book or what.

More
13 Jul 2015 08:25 #206124 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: just watched NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN for the third or fourth time, can't remember which. Goddamit if that isn't the best adapted screenplay I've ever seen. I'm scared out of my mind in one second and laughing in the next. The whole time just in total awe on how smart and amazing that script is the entire time. Has anyone ever read the book? Is it any good? I'll probably never read it but I'm curious if some of the best lines are word-for-word from the book or what.

The book reads like a screenplay. McCarthy is pretty sparse in his writing anyway, but it works really well here. A lot of the dialog is verbatim from the book.

More
13 Jul 2015 08:36 #206134 by charlest
Coherence - Damn I really liked this despite it's kind of cavalier handling of quantum physics. Really entertaining and interesting and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Still Alice - Wife forced me into this one and it was exactly what I expected. Great performances but I felt like utter shit near the end. Now I'm worried about getting Alzheimers and hoping those BS studies about playing board games starves off dementia are true.

Enemy - Holy shit this was great. I didn't understand most of it and had to immediately go online to get clarification. One of the best endings I've ever seen.

More
13 Jul 2015 10:21 #206159 by Egg Shen
Pacific Rim - So this is the second time that I've watched Pacific Rim. My enjoyment of the film probably went up with this second viewing. I am right in the wheelhouse of who this film is made for. I grew up watching poorly dubbed Godzilla movies on Saturday morning and I've always been obsessed with monsters/giant creatures. Pacific Rim is not a perfect movie...it's actually not even a great movie. But holy fuck does it accomplish what it sets out to do in a big way. It's a $100+ million blockbuster about giant robots beating the piss out of Giant Toho-esque monsters.

I think a major reason why I love this film even more is because since my initial viewing, that god awful Godzilla 2014 came out. That depressing, grim, ultra serious film was such a misfire for me that it's not even funny. That was not a film made for Godzilla fans. It was a Godzilla movie for people that don't like Godzilla, but want to be tricked into thinking they're watching an actual good film.

This is where I've come to appreciate Pacific Rim even more. If you're a 30+ year old male and you're bitching about stiff acting or improbable bullshit in Pacific Rim then you've missed the goddamn point. This is a film that is aimed squarely at children age 10-14. Kids that think dinosaurs are awesome and love dragons and shit. Then they want to see those dragons fight giant robots. So yeah, while I'm a grown up version of that kid (who still loves the genre) I'm technically not who this film was aimed at. I just happen to love it because it gets so many of the details right. Giant robot grabs a monster by the throat and the pilots shout, "Rocket Elbow". The camera pans to the Robot's arm and you watch as the machine follows through with the magnificent blow. Compare this to the recent Godzilla film where when the monsters were just about to fight it would cut away and show you a fucking news story. As if to say to the audience, "You're not a fucking child...you don't need to see three monsters DESTROY Las Vegas. No, you want to savor this taught character piece of some dipshit marine who should have died more times than Brad Pitt in fucking World War Z."

Pacific Rim delivers the goods. It's unpretentious, stupid, big loud fun. It was crafted by someone that loved the genre, but didn't specifically cater to nit-picky "Comic book Guy" types. It was meant for the Comic book guy's kids. Something meant to suck them in like Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla or King Kong did when they were a child.

The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, lj1983, Josh Look, Gregarius

More
13 Jul 2015 16:33 #206187 by boothwah
The Judge Wife's pic - Let's face it, my taste in movies is pretty banal - I work off the Four Pillars of Fart Jokes, Explosions, Lasers, and Magic when left to pick out a movie on my own - So i was expecting to hate this. I didn't. Barney can probably tell me why it worked.

More
13 Jul 2015 17:21 #206195 by Black Barney
It didn't. You have no eye for fashion.

The trailer alone was terrible.

I think you liked it just for the title cuz it made you think of Mike Blumberg

More
13 Jul 2015 20:07 #206201 by Josh Look

Egg Shen wrote: Pacific Rim

The first time I watched it, I was home from work and really sick. Not at all the mindest to be in when you watch that movie. My second time was much better, still wasn't sure if I liked it, but felt compelled to watch it again within the next 3 days. Somehow, that sealed it. I really enjoy that movie and have a blast every time I watch it now.

More
14 Jul 2015 01:31 #206215 by repoman
Because of our very own Doc Mabuse I watched two movies.

Dr Mabuse the Gambler: This is a silent movie from 1922 directed by Fritz Lang. It's pretty tough to get through. Silent movies, if you have never seen one, have a total emphasis on visual that to we that have known nothing but movies with sound are unfamiliar with. It can feel strange. So you have to watch them with the proper mind set.

That being said, it was tough to get through. The plot involves a master criminal, Dr. Mabuse, who uses hypnosis/mind control to pull off his nefarious schemes. He steals secret documents, he manipulates the stock market, he gives lectures on hypnosis at the local university, and at night he uses this marvelous talent to cheat and win at cards, naturally. Also the music was god aweful. Clinky organ type music which I suppose is authentic but damn annoying. I'll take silent movies with awesome music like the Passion of Joan of Arc any day over this kind of stuff. Also it is very long.

The movie, from what I've read, is supposed to be a commentary on the Weimar Republic in Germany. Maybe so, I'll take the internet's word on that.

The Testament of Doctor Mabuse is the sequel made in 1933 also by Fritz Lang. Some shots are taken at the Nazi government which ended up getting the movie banned in Germany, but over all this is a great thriller. From the opening scene of a man with a gun cowering behind a crate in an unknown storage room to the pursuit of the bad guy near the end it was fun to watch. I totally enjoyed this one.

Also, the Doctor's name is not "MAH-boose" as I was pronouncing it but rather "mah-BOO-zuh". It's German after all. Please alter your mental pronunciation accordingly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.352 seconds