October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Marvel's are you Snapping?

More
26 Nov 2022 11:05 - 26 Nov 2022 11:11 #337028 by ecargo
I didn't know about the update. Very exciting to hear we'll be able to target three cards as wants, even if it does mean a third currency.

I'm still enjoying the game a lot and find it well worth the $15 for the season pass.

I have a dedicated discard-focused deck and a separate destroy-focused one. Those used to be one until I had enough cards to separate them out. Currently, I'm having a lot of fun with my "adding" deck, focused on getting cards into my hand:

Sunspot (1)
Agent 13 (1)
Mantis (1)
Quinjet (1)
The Collector (2)
Beast (2)
Cable (2)
Sentinel (2)
Shang Chi (3)
Moon Girl (4)
White Queen (4)
Devil Dinosaur (5)
Last edit: 26 Nov 2022 11:11 by ecargo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2022 12:56 #337032 by dragonstout

dragonstout wrote: I feel semi-obnoxious posting this, but on the other hand, I'm pretty darn proud (and I'm looking forward to goofing around with decks that I feel less stressed about losing cubes with):
(eh I can't figure out how to post an image, but I made it to infinite)

I should also add, to make the post potentially useful instead of just a brag: I played a LOT of Snap over the last month in order to get there. Now, one thing I like about the ladder here is that quality does beat quantity; since there are no protective "floors" on your rank other than at ranks 10 and 100, AND because even a positive win rate doesn't translate into climbing the ladder, it really does feel like an accomplishment that required skill.

But: as I said, a LOT of Snap. An unhealthy amount of Snap. When I discovered the game, my initial reaction was repulsion due to all the free-to-play bullshit, the multiple currencies, the ways in which it sets up a Pavlovian response, the tricks learned from the heroin-dealer's handbook. But then I discovered that the game was good, REALLY good, so I was willing to put up with that crap that I usually hate hate hate. So that crap worked on me: it got me invested in the ladder, it got me convinced I needed to accomplish the daily missions, it got me salivating at 7 pm PST and 11 am PST. I spent money on the game, which I don't see as a bad thing because I certainly got LOTS of hours of enjoyment out of it, and the only things I bought were the season passes and the welcome bundle. But I think it's safe to say I was addicted to the game. I could recognize this, so I set myself a goal of reaching Infinite being akin to "beating" the game, after which I could wean myself off of the addiction.

It's too bad, because I've REALLY enjoyed the conversations with distant friends about strategy and learning the game while it's still new for EVERYONE, but it doesn't contribute to a healthy life for me. I quit Magic Arena a couple years ago for the same reason; in that case, it had sucked up almost half a year, during which I was admittedly deeply unhappy for other reasons and Arena filled that void. I want to spend my game-playing time with other people, and I don't want to be incentivized to stare at my phone any more than I already am.

That said: best toilet game ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, sornars, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
26 Nov 2022 23:54 #337037 by WadeMonnig
The new featured location is the Rainbow Bridge means I get to pull my Move/Killmonger deck out. So, lots of fun devastating Partiot decks in the last round.

More
27 Nov 2022 13:49 #337039 by Jexik
Grats, dragonstout!

I fell off once I found out that the seasons are only one month. I threw $10 at it, but I don’t wanna do that every month, and otherwise, FOMO.

Also, new Summoner Wars just dropped. So that has taken my phone/online time.

More
27 Nov 2022 21:25 #337042 by dragonstout

Jexik wrote: Grats, dragonstout!

I fell off once I found out that the seasons are only one month. I threw $10 at it, but I don’t wanna do that every month, and otherwise, FOMO.

I really don't believe you need to spend a single dime on the game if you don't want to; while I did buy the season passes, trust me, that helped me not a smidgen, everything I used to get to Infinite I've had since collection level 610 (I'm at 1000 now).

With regards to FOMO, at first I thought the season's card (Miles Morales, and then Black Panther) were exclusive unless you spent the $10, but they're not, they're just *temporarily* exclusive: they enter the normal card pool you can pull from two months later. I didn't mind spending some money on it, though, given that I got lots of hours of play out of it; but no more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik, sornars

More
28 Nov 2022 09:52 #337052 by Jexik
Yeah, I never really got the impression that it’d get as expensive as Arena or Hearthstone. Honestly Summoner Wars coming out with more factions now is what did it.

More
30 Nov 2022 10:58 #337123 by WadeMonnig
The Token update is live. You don't have to update for about a week to grind your collection level but I jumped right in. I recieved 6000 tokens for my collection level and picked up hood right away. (They refresh every 8 hours). That leaves me plenty for the 4 or so Tier 3 I really want.

More
02 Dec 2022 00:32 #337158 by Space Ghost
The nerfing of Angela slowed down my march to Infinite with my discard deck…I had hit a roadblock at 43 or so and retooled with Angela and Jubilee. Then this week had a steady march to level 90 — Dracula is the easiest card to bluff with, I think (and maybe the best card in the game since the ability triggers after the game ends)…so won many games for 8.

Tried a lot of cards in her place — settled on Scarlett Witch. Level 92 now, but competition is much more fierce.

So many cards I have not seen but want for it: Gambit, Lockjaw, Wong, Invisible Woman, Ghost Rider
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, Smeagol

More
02 Dec 2022 23:35 - 03 Dec 2022 08:14 #337187 by DarthJoJo
Between Cloning Vats and Sinister London I was able to end the game with six Deadpools on the board, the lowest with a power of 13.

Sometimes this game is glorious.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2022 08:14 by DarthJoJo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, ecargo, WadeMonnig

More
05 Dec 2022 15:43 #337234 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What Marvel's are you Snapping?
Sinister London was featured recently, so I broke out the Nightcrawler/Kazar/Onslaught jankity jank jank to rack up wins.

"I'm Confident!"
"Snap?"
"What Just Happened!"

More
28 Dec 2022 22:56 - 28 Dec 2022 22:57 #337640 by Not Sure
This thread went super-silent.

I picked up the game in mid-November, I think, just as a diversion during a lot of work-from-home bullshit time.

It goes through some peaks and valleys where I get frustrated by playing people with a set of cards that are clearly outside the stuff available to me, followed but some quick runs that even things up.

But ultimately, "snap" is the name of the game for a reason. I'm not good at it, so I languish in the 30s-40s, but I'm amazed at how much nothing really matters in the game. Inspired by something way upthread I made a garbage deck of my lowest-upgrade cards to grind out a bunch of 25 and 100 credit upgrades.

Of course, my win rate with that is roughly the same as any other deck, because it doesn't really matter. The real game is in knowing when to snap, and sucking it up when you're wrong 49% of the time.

Of course, Nick Fury being on Christmas special made the the finish of this deck a hell of a lot easier, because sometimes I just get gifted what I need. But this is a deck that can't contain anything I regularly use, because if it climbs to 200 it gets swapped out. Doesn't matter, the churn of random location nonsense and enemies (sometimes trying hard) just feeds into the "let's see what happens" aspect.

I'll switch back to a more regular deck if it suits the missions better, but I actually like the trash deck, because I don't feel invested in the losses and laugh at the wins.

(and I've still been gradually climbing in rank. Collection is about 1050 right now)
Last edit: 28 Dec 2022 22:57 by Not Sure.

More
28 Dec 2022 23:11 #337642 by DarthJoJo
I think it’s a much smarter game than people give it credit for. Yes, there’s a pile of luck in location pulls, but I see that as more of a puzzle for the player to solve than RNG. Locations are also balanced by deck consistency. You’re rarely seeing less than 75% of your cards. You should see all of your pieces.

Still I deleted it. I was sinking too much time into it and got too that stage where collector caches or reserves or whatever were giving out alt arts and nameplates in addition to cards. Collection growth was stalling hard, and I was sick of losing to DeathWave, She-Hulk and Silver Surfer. There was minimal counter play.

More
29 Dec 2022 01:21 - 29 Dec 2022 01:22 #337648 by Not Sure
I say (sometimes out loud) "in yo face!" when I beat a bullshit Silver Surfer deck, even more so when I do it with my trash deck.

There are some locations that just fuck you outright, like "Sanctum Sanctorum" when you're not playing a move deck. The only choice there is just to bail.

I think the main cleverness in the game is that it is about recognizing the 51/49 nature and leaning hard into it. You can do everything right and still lose, because the locations were stacked against you. That might have something to do with why I'm so bad at snapping, because I don't quite winnow the possibilities down. By the time I'm ready to snap, it's usually a foregone conclusion.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2022 01:22 by Not Sure. Reason: can't close brackets when drunk

More
01 Jan 2023 15:41 #337685 by WadeMonnig
Right here, Right now, this is the only deck I can climb with. Haven't even got to use the Human Torch that I finally got for my move deck. It had plenty of synergy for when you don't pull what you want.
# (1) Iceman
# (1) Yondu
# (2) Okoye
# (2) Scorpion
# (3) Ironheart
# (4) Jubilee
# (4) Wong
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (5) White Tiger
# (5) Black Panther
# (6) Arnim Zola
# (6) Odin

Ultimate pull is empty lane shang/panther/arnim which will produce at least two 32 or 64 power panthers in two other lanes. Never play more than two weak cards per lane to set up.
Shang working great with gamma lab. Leave a space open in gamma lane to destory hulks or Armin copy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo, DarthJoJo

More
04 Jan 2023 18:45 #337726 by Space Ghost
I don’t think that the locations matter too much with the deck (a bit, but not too much). I also don’t think it is a 50/50 game.

However, I didn’t know if my perception was right or not. Decided to keep track this season and see how I progress. I’m playing a discard deck that I don’t intend on changing (unless I hit a wall against the meta).

I started at Level 30. So far, I’m 23-3 and have gained 68 points (I’m counting a win when I gain points and a lose when I lose them)…hardest thing is getting opponents to commit to the game to get 4 or 8 points. So averaging 2.6 points a game — that’s a slow climb. Lots of retreats when it sits at 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds