October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What HOT TAKES are you taking?

More
15 Oct 2022 10:30 #336168 by Jackwraith

mc wrote: Speaking of video games (although I'm sure I've got a 90s punk break hot take in me somewhere), my hot take is that, alongside the advent of CGI, video games have destroyed movie action sequences. So many set pieces now seem like the directors/choreographers have been subconsciously, or even consciously, informed by platformers and FPS levels and it SUCCCCCCKS.

I remember thinking that in Attack of the Clones. When Anakin gets into the factory and starts avoiding all the pitfalls while still trying to fight, the first thing that popped into my head was: "This is the middle level on the video game." I mean, there's always been some of that in action/SF films and TV shows. I love when they call it out in Galaxy Quest ("Well, fuck that!") You could see the video game quality of the ride on the mine cart in Temple of Doom. I think there's certainly been an exchange of approach between filmmakers and video game designers, with the improvement in technology for both sides continuing to push the needle. But, yes, it has gotten much more prevalent and, in some ways, worse in the last 20 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2022 12:13 #336172 by Shellhead
I don't play video games much, but there was a scene in Game of Thrones that felt completely like a video game. It was in the final season when the Night King's army attacked Winterfell, specifically when Arya was sneaking past the zombies in the library.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
15 Oct 2022 12:41 #336173 by the_jake_1973

mc wrote: Speaking of video games (although I'm sure I've got a 90s punk break hot take in me somewhere), my hot take is that, alongside the advent of CGI, video games have destroyed movie action sequences. So many set pieces now seem like the directors/choreographers have been subconsciously, or even consciously, informed by platformers and FPS levels and it SUCCCCCCKS.

As much as I like Rogue One, it was altogether too easy to visualize the entirety of the movie in the context of Lego Star Wars levels. Right down to where in the scene the purple Lego stud would be hidden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, mc

More
17 Oct 2022 04:05 #336196 by san il defanso
These days soulless CGI scenes are at least partially driven by the very quick turnaround expected of movies. Scenes are often worked on and completed before the script is even finished, so there's this feeling of disconnect between the onscreen action, and the actual story. The scenes themselves might be technically proficient, but there's no sense of holistic creation with the rest of the movie.

Frankly I think the expectation of very quick sequels is killing blockbuster movies more than the presence of those sequels themselves. There's an expectation that everything can be on an assembly line. I think more than anything else this rushed schedule has been the Achilles heel of the Disney Star Wars movies. There are so many sloppy scenes, weird script choices, and just generally weightless action. They absolutely reek of movies that needed more time to cook. And I say that as someone who basically likes most of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, jason10mm

More
17 Oct 2022 08:07 #336200 by Legomancer
Here's my Hot Take: Why would I spend a lot of time, money, or effort on making a movie look good when it's almost guaranteed a massive opening by a die-hard fanbase who may piss and moan but can absolutely be guaranteed to drop money on, talk about, and then completely forget. Why drag out the process for an uncritical but dedicated fanbase when you can just cut corners to grind out constant content? There is absolutely no percentage in putting your all into it; it's forgotten in 2 months regardless because there's some new set of car keys jingling in front of your audience. Even the nerd shit I hear generally very positive things about just vanishes into the ether because no matter how good it is, it's one drop of water in a firehose. And as we're seeing with WB now, there is no urge from the studios to create art or even decent quality material, like every other industry it's all 100% investor-driven line goes up immediate-term bullshit. Anything that can't make a shit ton of money immediately is worthless, and a month-old movie is no longer making a shit ton of money so it needs to fuck off and make room for something new that will.

So yeah, two of my eternal gripes here: a hypercapitalist system that is only interested in squatting out constant shit for the pigs to lap up and a docile nerd audience that will bitch and complain but sure as shit will drop coin on it all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Nodens, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
17 Oct 2022 08:13 #336201 by Ah_Pook

jason10mm wrote: .

Film-makers should strive to NEVER completely CGI a person, we are just too attuned to the movements. Look at how easily ANY wire-work is spotted on film. CGI should be used to remove safety equipment, add an actors face on top of a trained stuntperson, extend a set in the distance stuff like that, but never completely replace physical motion or actual objects people are interacting with.

I don't disagree, but these are strongly Old Guy opinions.

More
17 Oct 2022 09:31 #336204 by Gary Sax

san il defanso wrote: These days soulless CGI scenes are at least partially driven by the very quick turnaround expected of movies. Scenes are often worked on and completed before the script is even finished, so there's this feeling of disconnect between the onscreen action, and the actual story. The scenes themselves might be technically proficient, but there's no sense of holistic creation with the rest of the movie.

I also didn't totally understand the CGI revolution until I grokked that they aren't bound by guild rules or any union protection unlike most traditional elements of films.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Legomancer, Jackwraith, san il defanso, Erik Twice, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
17 Oct 2022 14:04 #336218 by Rliyen

dysjunct wrote: The soundtrack to LOST BOYS (1987) is fantastic and holds up at 35 years on, including shirtless oily ponytail saxophone guy.

Stop making me feel old, you bastard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
17 Oct 2022 23:06 #336224 by jason10mm

Ah_Pook wrote:

jason10mm wrote: .

Film-makers should strive to NEVER completely CGI a person, we are just too attuned to the movements. Look at how easily ANY wire-work is spotted on film. CGI should be used to remove safety equipment, add an actors face on top of a trained stuntperson, extend a set in the distance stuff like that, but never completely replace physical motion or actual objects people are interacting with.

I don't disagree, but these are strongly Old Guy opinions.

Thats because kids these days are idiots. I make my kids watch 80's movies with their bad acting, crappy rear projection and stop motion effects, matte painting backgrounds and model work, rotoscoped shots and exquisitely hand drawn animation, full orchestra or Queen soundtracks, entire cadres of stuntmen driving real cars off ramps and throwing punches at each other. Sure my kids cry and say "it's 2 am and I wanna go to bed!" or "Not another Arnie film I'm only 7!" but it's really for the best :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, Virabhadra, Kmann

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.707 seconds