October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What HOT TAKES are you taking?

More
04 Oct 2022 19:46 #335974 by Frohike
I don't understand the mushmouth Eddie Vedder appeal either. When he popped up in Twin Peaks: The Return, I was annoyed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2022 23:46 #335977 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What HOT TAKES are you taking?
I work with a PJ fan and can tip him over the edge with a brief Vedder impression.

More
05 Oct 2022 09:04 #335979 by hotseatgames

stormseeker75 wrote: I have a hot take: I really dislike Eddie Vedder as a vocalist and it causes me actual discomfort that he's the last of the big Seattle singers left. Like seriously, did we lose some sort of deal with Satan where we lost Cornell AND Staley? I know we have Mudhoney, The Melvins, stuff like that. But I mean the big ones.

I lament this almost daily. All of my college-era singers are gone except for him. And he's the worst one.

Full disclosure, I saw Pearl Jam in a bar right before they blew up, and it was a great show. But small shows usually are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, sornars, n815e

More
12 Oct 2022 15:12 #336099 by Virabhadra
I want to ignore the living fuck out of Sydney Sweeney playing Barbarella, but I think it will be unavoidable.

Just give me Riley Reid as Harley Quinn (!!) and let's stop pretending that the line between smut and empowerment is a big movie budget.

More
12 Oct 2022 16:34 - 12 Oct 2022 16:37 #336103 by SuperflyPete
I am intensely angry with Michael Barnes. Why? I mean, who isn’t but why?

Because maybe 8 years ago the forum was all talking about music and he proclaimed
King Diamond an incredible band because of the theatrics, the story, the falsetto of the singer, etc.

Well, like an asshole I downloaded Abigail. And I don’t like it. I wanted to give it a try and I just can’t get along with the singer. Here’s why I am mad: My phone plays the first song on my phone, alphabetically, every time I get in the car. Abigail. Fucking Abigail. I named my oldest Abigail for Christ’s sake.

ABIGAIL KNOW YOURE IN CONTROL…ABIGAIL ewwww o ewwwwe

FOR ALL THIS TIME. I try deleting it from my library but it keeps coming back. My devices are all haunted by King Diamond and it’s all Barnes’ fault.

Hot take: Screw King Diamond, that singer sounds like a recent eunuch and his music sucks. The band should execute him and get a new singer, and MAKE BARNES PULL THE LEVER.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2022 16:37 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct, sornars, Nodens, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
13 Oct 2022 08:02 #336110 by Legomancer
Here's my latest hot take:

Boss Fights in video games are the epitome of lazy design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, birdman37, mc

More
13 Oct 2022 10:02 #336113 by jason10mm

Virabhadra wrote: Just give me Riley Reid as Harley Quinn (!!) and let's stop pretending that the line between smut and empowerment is a big movie budget.

Goddamn, the hottest of hot takes right there!

I feel like deep fake technology will eventually make actors completely interchangeable so you can just order up the cast you desire and throw them into any film and dial up the sex, violence, or gore levels on the fly. I'm still miffed that blu-rays never delivered on real time splicing in deleted scenes and streaming doesn't seem interested either. I'd LOVE to be able to choose from a menu of all the variations of the Star Wars SE version I do and don't want (expanded view of Mos Eisley, yes. Han and Greedo, original please. Han and Hutt scene, no thanks) and tailor the film as I'd like.

But I have no idea who this Riley....Reid you say? person is so I'm just spitballing here :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
13 Oct 2022 10:05 #336114 by jason10mm

Legomancer wrote: Here's my latest hot take:

I'd agree with you on boss fights that use TOTALLY DIFFERENT tactics or play styles from the rest of the game. Nothing is worse than run and gun action for 30 minutes and then there is a boss that requires utmost stealth.

But a boss that is the culmination of skills acquired through play, that's legit I think.

So long as there isn't a long unskippable cut scene you gotta endure after each death and retry, f that nonsense!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, sornars

More
13 Oct 2022 15:27 #336120 by SuperflyPete
Those are THE WORST
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
13 Oct 2022 18:20 #336127 by Erik Twice

Legomancer wrote: Here's my latest hot take:

I can only pity the man who has never played Gunstar Heroes.

I'm sorry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jexik, SuperflyPete, sornars

More
14 Oct 2022 16:26 #336151 by SuperflyPete

Frohike wrote: I don't understand the mushmouth Eddie Vedder appeal either. When he popped up in Twin Peaks: The Return, I was annoyed.

It’s simple: nostalgia.

When you’re in High School on the west coast in the early to mid 90’s, surrounded by gangs and rap and Boys 2 Men, and along comes this scene unlike any other scene you’ve ever heard…Cornell and Staley and Osbourne and Vedder and Wood and Lanegan all backed by a completely new thing that’s not metal but not NOT metal, almost like a folksy metal sound, it becomes an anthem of your life.

When I hear a song off of Ten, it reminds me of the days I would cut school to drive to San Francisco and play beach volleyball with my buddies against the gay guys with the smell of ocean mist and Hawaiian Tropic in the background…or playing midget basketball (basketball against the Latino guys in my neighborhood) for ten hours and then skating back home to an empty house, doing the dishes with Mad Season on the radio in the background, getting ready to sit at the PC and play Fallout 2 for the third time in a row.

It’s like hot soup when you’re sick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
14 Oct 2022 16:47 #336153 by dysjunct
Vedder’s mushiness has gotten more pronounced in later years; I’ve heard he likes to kill a bottle wine backstage before the show, then work on another one during the show.

In addition to what Pete said, the rock scene at the time was pretty awful. Hair metal and cock rock. Nirvana et al felt raw and honest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
14 Oct 2022 18:24 #336156 by Jexik
For me the iconic album of that time period, but not of that scene is Green Day’s Dookie.

More
15 Oct 2022 03:09 #336162 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What HOT TAKES are you taking?
Speaking of video games (although I'm sure I've got a 90s punk break hot take in me somewhere), my hot take is that, alongside the advent of CGI, video games have destroyed movie action sequences. So many set pieces now seem like the directors/choreographers have been subconsciously, or even consciously, informed by platformers and FPS levels and it SUCCCCCCKS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars, Gregarius

More
15 Oct 2022 10:19 #336166 by jason10mm

mc wrote: Speaking of video games (although I'm sure I've got a 90s punk break hot take in me somewhere), my hot take is that, alongside the advent of CGI, video games have destroyed movie action sequences. So many set pieces now seem like the directors/choreographers have been subconsciously, or even consciously, informed by platformers and FPS levels and it SUCCCCCCKS.

Thats because these days movie set pieces ARE video game sequences, its all CGI. It takes a conscious effort to use CGI just like you would a real practical effect and keep the camera grounded like it was a real camera. Cameron is a MASTER at this, which is why his recent film holds up so well even though it is 95% CGI. But go look at Black Panther and that final fight with T'Challa and Killmonger spinning around in space and a camera just floating around behind them somewhere. Totally fake looking because you could never film real humans that way.

Film-makers should strive to NEVER completely CGI a person, we are just too attuned to the movements. Look at how easily ANY wire-work is spotted on film. CGI should be used to remove safety equipment, add an actors face on top of a trained stuntperson, extend a set in the distance stuff like that, but never completely replace physical motion or actual objects people are interacting with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, sornars, Gregarius, mc, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds