October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What SPORTS are you viewing on television or playing?

More
03 Aug 2022 22:44 #334774 by dysjunct
Vin Scully, 1927-2022.

The voice of my childhood (along with Chick Hearn). I used to think I liked the Dodgers. But — similar to the recent conversations about buying games to try and recapture the feel of a time, a place, and the people who were there — I realized that I didn’t care for sports that much. But Scully’s voice reminded me of being a kid, and watching ball games with my dad (who, coincidentally, died five years ago today).

Enough has been written elsewhere, and more eloquently, about Scully’s consummate mastery of his craft. I won’t try to compete with that. So I’ll just raise a glass to his memory, and all the great memories he gave me.

Vale, Vin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, BillyBobThwarton, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2022 09:10 #334816 by the_jake_1973
Silliness in F1 this last week has been brilliant to follow. Alpine management is a dumpster fire. Danny Ricc ousted at McC. Alonso making Sunday evening deal with Stroll Sr. and it will be interesting to see how those two personalities mesh. Alpine missing the offer date for Piastri to have him drive for them or Alpine got cash to let him go to McC.

Non silliness: Sebastian Vettel's sincere and heartfelt farewell to the sport he has excelled at. His influence and voice will be sorely missed.

Footnote: Hammy becoming part owner of the Denver Broncos. I can only hope that his social conscience rubs off a little on the rest of the league.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
05 Aug 2022 10:32 #334817 by stormseeker75
I get inundated with F1 in my reddit feed for whatever reason. That sport is a circus right now!

More
05 Aug 2022 13:49 #334828 by Gary Sax
They are on the hook for every dollar next year to Ricciardo as it stands, it's wild.

More
05 Aug 2022 14:21 #334829 by the_jake_1973
Better to get a driver with an upside rather than someone who is not likely to improve.

More
05 Aug 2022 14:34 #334831 by Gary Sax
All hinges on if Ricciardo is washed or if he just does not get along with this car. Will be interesting to see how Piastri stacks up with Norris, it's possible Norris is just that good I guess.

More
05 Aug 2022 15:06 #334832 by the_jake_1973
I think it is both for Danny. Frustrated with the car and not mentally putting enough into coming to grips with it. Add in the pressure of a younger talent driving next to him and it is a tough situation.

More
05 Aug 2022 16:42 #334839 by Msample

the_jake_1973 wrote: Silliness in F1 this last week has been brilliant to follow. Alpine management is a dumpster fire. Danny Ricc ousted at McC. Alonso making Sunday evening deal with Stroll Sr. and it will be interesting to see how those two personalities mesh. Alpine missing the offer date for Piastri to have him drive for them or Alpine got cash to let him go to McC.

Non silliness: Sebastian Vettel's sincere and heartfelt farewell to the sport he has excelled at. His influence and voice will be sorely missed.

Footnote: Hammy becoming part owner of the Denver Broncos. I can only hope that his social conscience rubs off a little on the rest of the league.

My guess is that Hamilton is a VERY minority owner, there for PR more than anything else. Its not like the new owners ( part of the Walmart fortune ) need the money. This is a great opportunity for cross polination of the two sports however .

Speaking of dumpster fires, there is no bigger dumpster fire than Ferrari these days. With what should be the best car on the grid, they keep finding creative ways to lose. Only they could take a 2/3 grid start and translate it into a 4-6 finish. Like everyone KNEW the hard tires were a bad choice, yet they fit them to poor LeClerc's car on the middle stint ?? Its beyond baffling.

More
05 Aug 2022 17:54 #334842 by the_jake_1973
As a Detroit Lions fan, being a tifosi feels very familiar.

More
05 Aug 2022 22:33 #334848 by Jackwraith
PL season starts tomorrow. Liverpool back at it. Came within a point and a goal of doing something unprecedented last year. Going to try for it again this year. Got the early game tomorrow, which means we start drinking at 7 AM.

More
05 Aug 2022 23:22 #334850 by Gary Sax
Same tense excitement here. Watched the Arsenal opener today. They were spotty but won. I don't know all the details but kind of pissed they're starting the guy who has rape accusations over his head.

More
05 Aug 2022 23:32 #334851 by Jackwraith
Yeah, that's a problematic one. The story that's being spread on his behalf is that his girlfriend is behind the allegations after he refused to marry her. But that sounds like a really convenient cover story, too. English law doesn't have the American equivalent of "innocent until proven guilty" and rape accusations being what they are, that principle has issues to begin with. Arsenal fans will justify it by saying that the club really needs to win NOW, especially since they missed out on the CL again, but there's really not justification for it, especially if you're talking about athletics and money, which they are. Of the million different things to be thankful for re: Jürgen Klopp, it's that he insists that character analyses are just as important as sporting ability when it comes to recruitment at LFC.

More
06 Aug 2022 04:07 #334853 by mc
All that stuff makes me less and less interested in top flight football, wherever it is. Occasionally you get clubs who seem to have a moral centre but they are rare. My own club here in Australia, Western Sydney, has in the last year hired a manager who has a really dodgy past including stalking (nothing proven) and just signed a player with similar allegations to the Arsenal guy (nothing proven). Yeah, I get it, innocent till proven guilty, but as was inferred, that's not how these things actually work unfortunately (just this week we've had a pretty confronting report on institutional ignoring of DV/rape allegations, with many cases of police making fun of them), and i'd rather my club had made better decisions with it. Hell, I'd even rather they came out and said, well, we back these people, rather then pretend like it all doesn't exist and post stuff about international women's day (or whatever). Anyway, my money is withdrawn at the moment till they're gone. That is, unfortunately, all that matters, and, also unfortunate, if the club is winning, it doesn't seem to bother too many people anyway. It's an easy decision for me to make given I don't live in WS and I don't get to games very frequently anyway. But if I still did I'd be getting my fix in the lower leagues, I think, and I think if I was in Europe and supported a big club I'd have ditched it long ago for something a bit more local and community focused.

Sorry for rant! It doesn't help that the A-League season doesn't start for months yet and Western Sydney didn't make the cut for the cup competition which has at least started. I've been content watching that - we didn't have an open cup comp for many years so it's cool to see all the little clubs on a bigger stage and most of the matches are broadcast free. So that's what I've been watching.

I have watched a miniscule amount of the commonwealth games but there's not a wide variety of sports, and virtually none I'm interested in. Watched some Decathlon last night.

More
06 Aug 2022 05:23 #334855 by mc
btw, on that kind of note, just about to watch the first episode of a new Copa 90 series, this one focusing on Real Betis - the episode begins talking about how modern football and all the big clubs are sucking the life out of the game haha.

Great channel, if you haven't checked out any of their stuff. The Derby Days series was great, culminating in the River Boca derby at the Copa Libertedores a couple of years back, just one of the best things on football fandom I've seen.

More
06 Aug 2022 20:20 #334875 by mc
I was thinking yesterday the 1500m race is the best race in athletics, the only one I'll watch with interest. It's short enough that you are not just watching people run around for ages, but long enough that there is a bit of a narrative that develops and some phases.

Lo and behold I switched on the telly last night and it was on in 5 minutes. The race did not fail to deliver, and I say that without any patriotic bent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, mezike, BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds