October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What boardgames have you been PRINTING and PLAYING?

More
04 Sep 2021 11:48 - 04 Sep 2021 12:07 #326245 by Disgustipater
Specifically, you can find Pax Pamir here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9y424wt1p3m4dnx/AAACyq1g0eBXLgDfGjQrRDHEa?dl=0

I have a nice Dune set I made that I love, and I also made Root before deciding I liked it enough and just bought the retail version before I even used my PnP version. Then, I made a PnP set of the Underworld expansion using 3D printed and painted meeples I made myself before it was released. I just like making things.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2021 12:07 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2021 14:36 - 04 Sep 2021 14:40 #326247 by jason10mm
Anyone running a 3d printer? I have one buddy with one that does miniatures but it seems like it still requires a lot of skill to do. But something with pretty basic shapes like Supremacy seems tailor made for pnp with 3d printed pieces (though you can just use wood pieces and fat head screws for mushroom clouds).
Last edit: 04 Sep 2021 14:40 by jason10mm.

More
04 Sep 2021 15:20 #326248 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote: I love Table Air Combat, which is $2 per model of plane. So you can purchase the Spitfire and BF-109 and put 100 planes of each on the table if you like. Tight little ruleset and these handy-dandy ruler thingies that are unique for each plane so they all fly differently. Great little game. I did it with the Cub Scouts and it went over very well.

Rule book is free -- www.wargamevault.com/product/187902/Tabl...ns-Manual?src=newest

I just wanted to explore this post a little:
  • Two dollar models
  • hundreds of planes
  • massive game played with cub scouts

I don't know where to start. This sounds amazing. Some of those kids are probably going to join the air force because of this! I'm going to check this out.

More
04 Sep 2021 15:32 - 04 Sep 2021 15:40 #326249 by Disgustipater

jason10mm wrote: Anyone running a 3d printer?

I have two: an FDM (plastic) and an SLA (resin). They basically run non-stop. Gaslands is a never-ending hole of bits and conversions, though I have forced myself to stop printing terrain. The hard part of using them for PnP is designing parts. Unless someone has already done it, which is unlikely, you have to design everything from scratch. For example, for the Pax Pamir set, I took the images of the rule tokens and the coins, used my amateur skills in Photoshop and Illustrator to make SVG files of the token design, then used my even more amateur skills in Fusion 360 to make them into 3D objects to print:

I considered trying to recreate the army blocks in resin but the effort involved would have been massive, and painted wood blocks work just as well.

But basic geometric shapes are super easy using the browser-based TinkerCAD. I use it all the time for easier stuff. But in general, yeah, 3D printing (especially FDM printers) is basically a hobby unto itself. They are super finicky and you have to spend a lot of time getting the billions of different settings all working together to get good results.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2021 15:40 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries, jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
04 Sep 2021 16:37 - 04 Sep 2021 16:38 #326251 by Sagrilarus

CranBerries wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: I love Table Air Combat, which is $2 per model of plane. So you can purchase the Spitfire and BF-109 and put 100 planes of each on the table if you like. Tight little ruleset and these handy-dandy ruler thingies that are unique for each plane so they all fly differently. Great little game. I did it with the Cub Scouts and it went over very well.

Rule book is free -- www.wargamevault.com/product/187902/Tabl...ns-Manual?src=newest

I just wanted to explore this post a little:
  • Two dollar models
  • hundreds of planes
  • massive game played with cub scouts

I don't know where to start. This sounds amazing. Some of those kids are probably going to join the air force because of this! I'm going to check this out.

Each of the scouts got to make two planes and their own ruler. This is about fifteen minutes of work. The planes are super easy builds. The ruler takes a little finesse but it's not too bad. 8 year olds could do it on their own. Then we played.

It cost me $2 because the first plane was free. May still be.

This is a game you can enjoy on the cheap. Don't spend time blinging this up. So for the cost of a sheet of paper you can get a dozen planes or even more if you edit the files you buy.

I kept it in the car to play with while waiting for food at a restaurant.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2021 16:38 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, sornars, mc, DarthJoJo

More
04 Sep 2021 18:40 #326253 by mc
That looks cool! Also reminds me that I am collecting match boxes to build some war galley game with them I can't remember the name of right now.

More
04 Sep 2021 22:17 #326257 by jason10mm

mc wrote: That looks cool! Also reminds me that I am collecting match boxes to build some war galley game with them I can't remember the name of right now.

Please tell me that fire comes in to play at some point.

Pnp Legacy: Your entire game might get destroyed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
04 Sep 2021 22:59 #326259 by mc
Ha it might have to now.

From memory you build the galleys with the boxes and matches - you have like 12 matches or something to "spend" on each build and you distribute them as masts and oars which then dictate speed and overall strength. You then also use matches to work out distance travelled and directions (kind of like mini templates I guess) with a kind of hidden pre-program behind a screen, and then when you fire at other galleys you drop matches on to the table to see if you score hits - like, if they are pointing at the galley, that's a hit, kind of thing.

Just looked for it, it's just called War Galley.

I took out my fireplace last summer so waiting for matches to actually get used so I can scavenge the boxes is now a long wait. On second thoughts I won't be burning the ships up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, sornars, DarthJoJo, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
05 Sep 2021 18:59 #326271 by jason10mm
Match boxes are actually hard to come by these days. They used to be damn near ubiquitous but not anymore.

More
17 Jan 2022 16:04 - 18 Jan 2022 07:42 #329862 by sornars
This is heinously expensive (not much more than if it'd had been a retail release to be fair) and I can't speak to the quality of the content but this might be of interest to any folks here who really thought Arkham Horror 2e was lacking in content:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2740477/who-wou...made-expansio/page/1
Last edit: 18 Jan 2022 07:42 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Jan 2022 09:28 #329900 by mads b.
I bought the PnP version of Hunted: Mining Colony 415 after reading Barnes' review of it. It's super simple: you flip cards and place them in a row hoping to find your way out of a mining base without being eaten by aliens. Some cards can be used to activate other cards (to open doors or find equipment, for instance), but some cards also have alarm symbols. Too many alarm symbols, and an alien in the row will attack. You can also hide from an alien, but that removes all cards in the row and costs time.

The basic loop is fun, but combat and making tests is where the game really rocks. You have to toss tokens into a box lid with an image of an alien and hit a cirkle. Tokens have different sizes and shapes depending on your weapon or health, and that's the only bad thing about the PnP. I had to cut some usable if not very nice looking tokens out of my leftover punchboard from Nemesis: Lockdown. It works.

The only not so good thing about the game (which also looks really good) is how it's obviously build on the aliens franchise. The artwork is almost a copyright infringement and the story has a hostile android, a cat you need to find, and so on. I know it's done on purpose, but I would have loved if the game told a slightly different and new story. But well worth both the small amount of money I paid and the time spent cutting cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, hotseatgames, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
19 Jan 2022 12:12 #329909 by apollos
I've heard of this game before, it sounds really cool

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds