October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What boardgames have you been PRINTING and PLAYING?

More
02 Sep 2021 13:46 - 02 Sep 2021 14:31 #326190 by Cranberries
I don't know if this is worth a separate thread, but I just discovered some new sources:

print-and-play.asmodee.fun/

tabletopbellhop.com/tabletop-gaming-deals/free-pnp-board-games/

www.pnparcade.com/

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18923/best-pr...-historical-wargames

I mean, I'm not broke, and printing/playing can be tedious, but now that Chea-Pass games are kind of defunct, I find myself especially enamored of super cheap alternatives to $200 Kickstarter games. Like pop songs that sound great when played on just an acoustic guitar, I like to think that good games can still be good games with cheap components. Or is that platonic idealism on my part? Does a great idea, divorced from cool components, still matter?
Last edit: 02 Sep 2021 14:31 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, mezike, hotseatgames, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2021 14:11 #326193 by hotseatgames
Great idea for a thread! I would probably investigate this kind of thing... but I've made so many physical prototypes over the years, I think it would take a mighty urge to get me to do it for a PnP.

It would be interesting to see how many of them have been adapted to TTS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 Sep 2021 14:49 #326194 by ChristopherMD
I've been meaning to print and play Reiner Knizia's Decathlon but I'm too lazy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dustdevl

More
02 Sep 2021 14:56 #326197 by Shellhead
I have been printing and playing fan-created hero decks and villain scenarios for the Marvel Champions game. Heroes: Black Knight, Blade, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Nick Fury, and Wolverine. Villains: Leader, Maestro, and Scorpio, plus several modular sets (typically 1 villain, 1 side scheme, and a few other cards that fit that villain's theme). So far, all of the villain content has been excellent, but the hero decks are fairly hit or miss. The worst ones are either bland or too experimental. The Black Knight deck is very solid and has an interesting core mechanic. The Wolverine deck is also quite good, and does an excellent job of representing that hero. There is a lot of content that I haven't printed and played yet, but most of it seems more mediocre in quality.

More
02 Sep 2021 15:03 - 02 Sep 2021 15:04 #326198 by Sagrilarus
I love Table Air Combat, which is $2 per model of plane. So you can purchase the Spitfire and BF-109 and put 100 planes of each on the table if you like. Tight little ruleset and these handy-dandy ruler thingies that are unique for each plane so they all fly differently. Great little game. I did it with the Cub Scouts and it went over very well.

Rule book is free -- www.wargamevault.com/product/187902/Tabl...ns-Manual?src=newest
Last edit: 02 Sep 2021 15:04 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
02 Sep 2021 16:07 #326206 by Dr. Mabuse

Shellhead wrote: I have been printing and playing fan-created hero decks and villain scenarios for the Marvel Champions game. Heroes: Black Knight, Blade, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Nick Fury, and Wolverine. Villains: Leader, Maestro, and Scorpio, plus several modular sets (typically 1 villain, 1 side scheme, and a few other cards that fit that villain's theme). So far, all of the villain content has been excellent, but the hero decks are fairly hit or miss. The worst ones are either bland or too experimental. The Black Knight deck is very solid and has an interesting core mechanic. The Wolverine deck is also quite good, and does an excellent job of representing that hero. There is a lot of content that I haven't printed and played yet, but most of it seems more mediocre in quality.

Marvel Champions fan decks bgg.cc/thread/2621732/article/37259173#37259173
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
02 Sep 2021 16:16 #326207 by Cranberries
This is completely random, but I wish Duel of Ages II was an iPad app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars

More
02 Sep 2021 16:23 #326208 by Shellhead

Dr. Mabuse wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I have been printing and playing fan-created hero decks and villain scenarios for the Marvel Champions game. Heroes: Black Knight, Blade, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Nick Fury, and Wolverine. Villains: Leader, Maestro, and Scorpio, plus several modular sets (typically 1 villain, 1 side scheme, and a few other cards that fit that villain's theme). So far, all of the villain content has been excellent, but the hero decks are fairly hit or miss. The worst ones are either bland or too experimental. The Black Knight deck is very solid and has an interesting core mechanic. The Wolverine deck is also quite good, and does an excellent job of representing that hero. There is a lot of content that I haven't printed and played yet, but most of it seems more mediocre in quality.

Marvel Champions fan decks bgg.cc/thread/2621732/article/37259173#37259173

Yeah, that's a great starting point. I wouldn't bother downloading anything rated less than an A- from that list, and even some of the A- stuff is a bit disappointing, IMO. That Moon Knight deck is clever and interesting, but I found it somewhat cumbersome in actual play.

More
02 Sep 2021 16:57 - 02 Sep 2021 16:59 #326209 by Disgustipater
I was making the PnP of Pax Pamir 2nd Edition when covid hit and haven't really gone back to it. All I really have left are the coins and player cylinders. That's my M.O. though: get something 90% done and move on to something else.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2021 16:59 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 Sep 2021 16:58 #326210 by Jexik
Aside from playtesting old summoner wars decks, I’ve never done it.

More
02 Sep 2021 18:12 - 02 Sep 2021 19:06 #326211 by mc
I'm not hugely into the entire PnP thing - crafting really nice looking stuff, especially stuff that is designed to be PnP - but I'm really into aspects of it, and definitely philosophically.

And like, YES, games are great even with shitty components. To the extent that personally I'm happy to play with bits of paper in penny sleeves and stuff; even if I do appreciate a good looking game, I don't need it. A great game shines through without all the other stuff.

Something I really enjoy that's adjacent to that is making games out of other components that I have. Like, recently we started playing Hey That's My Fish with Samurai. And I figured out how to play Sheriff of Nottingham with a Bohnanza deck to give it a go.

Anyway, some things I have made over the years off the top of my head:

a few cheapass games, yep
a hollandspiele or two (the lighter ones - one thing I haven't done is counters)
Leviathan - a really cool little assymetric template based war game where one player is moby dick and some whales and the other is Ahab in the pequod. Paper and sleeves.
Discworld Ankh-Morpork - this turned out not bad, I actually got this one printed on card and bought some specific wooden pieces for it. It's obviously home made but it was that or spend 200 bucks on it which I was never going to do.
Koljeka - i made this one by pasting onto cereal boxes with kids glue, totally adds to the charm
Ortus Regni - i think this was one of the first ones i did
Glory to Rome (although then I found a cheap Cambridge edition)
Heimlich and Co - for this one my kids illustrated the board. We've made a few together actually like that, Azul as well (using qwirkle pieces for the tiles)
Yeah I've got Knizia's Decathlon as well somewhere, that's like one sheet of paper haha.
Oh I did the pinball game as well.
Bug - I mean, this was like a hex sheet so doesn't quite really count but yeah, that's a good abstract game; the hex sheet lives with Hive.

I have a laminator which I sometimes use for those ones where you write on a sheet (I used that to laminate some of the Gaslands stuff as well).

I actually kind of like the aesthetic that the shitty look gives stuff like this. But, the problem I find is that

a) they don't have dedicated boxes and so they don't get noticed to play
b) i am like the only one weirdo in the world who is going to look at my kids crappy half finished texta monstrosity of a board on a piece of paper and goes "cool" (my kids included).

But it's an area of boardgaming that I find really cool. I have a big long list of more intentional pnp stuff I want to make. I'm sure some of the games aren't that great but that's true of games off the shelf too.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2021 19:06 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
03 Sep 2021 12:19 #326224 by sornars
Rocky Mountain Man has just been restocked but I can’t stomach shipping costs equal to the price of the game so I’ve opted to pick up the $5 PNP version instead. No idea when I’ll put it together but I’m intrigued by the game.

More
03 Sep 2021 19:19 - 03 Sep 2021 19:28 #326238 by mc
OH thanks! I was subscribed to a thread on BGG where Nate said he would organise a PnPbut no-one's triggered it with the news yet. Off to purchase now!
Last edit: 03 Sep 2021 19:28 by mc.

More
04 Sep 2021 11:20 #326243 by Cranberries
I am learning so much from this thread! Where do you find a print and play version of Pax Pamir? I foolishly sold my first edition when the 2nd edition was announced, not realizing it was going to be so expensive.

Note: I often complain about prices of things on here, but I'm a tenured professor with an IRA, and if you adjusted my salary for cost of living, I would be making $180k in San Jose as a tech writer for Google, if you count my benefits as income. I just wanted to explain that I come from a low income background and have a lot of habits and verbal tics that don't reflect my current level of privilege.

More
04 Sep 2021 11:37 #326244 by Gary Sax
All the Wehrlegig games are printed with an open source license if memory serves.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds