October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What ANIMATION are you VIEWING?

More
30 Sep 2021 10:20 #326867 by Rliyen
Started Record of Ragnarok the other day, watched about 8 episodes, got extremely pissed off at the "surprise" twists to the fights, and stopped watching. Also, the pacing on the episodes was tedious and dull to watch.

Can't remember the last time a series did that to me. Oh, I remember, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure... Where they went Fist of the North Star in the first two seasons, then ditched that and went WE'RE GOING TO MIMIC PERSONA NOW!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2021 23:12 #326902 by Michael Barnes
Whoa I am not going to let you badmouth Jojo in these forums. I love everything about it. All of it.

Jojo is -magnificent-. It’s absolutely true that the first two seasons (which correspond to the Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency storylines) are somewhat different than Stardust Crusaders and on. They were mid-80s Shonen Jump so of course they were hugely influenced by Buronson/Hara. But 87/88 is when he decided to do away with Hamon and get into the Stands……which I think Persona took from Jojo, not the other way around. Remember, the series is adapting manga from decades ago.

Battle Tendency is my favorite although there is a lack of Dio. I love Jonathan Joestar and his stupid fucking clacker balls. The Pillar Men are great. Phantom Blood is amazing too though, it’s like Fist of the North Star meets Hammer Horror. And of course “it was me, Dio!” Is in there.

Give the other seasons a chance, there is some awesome, weird, and hilarious stuff. The pedo skeevyness (”fan service”) that plagues a lot of anime/manga is minimized (mainly because it is so completely homoerotic), but there are a couple of questionable bits in Stardust Crusaders.

It’s bad ass that they used “Walk Like an Egyptian” over the end credits…let alone Yes’ “Roundabout”. Touches like that make it one of the rare anime shows that really has something to offer over reading the manga.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
01 Oct 2021 09:02 #326909 by hotseatgames
I also love JoJo. All of it except the cringe-inducing scenes when Polnaref (sp) gets turned into a baby.

More
01 Oct 2021 10:07 #326912 by Rliyen

Michael Barnes wrote: Whoa I am not going to let you badmouth Jojo in these forums. I love everything about it. All of it.

Jojo is -magnificent-. It’s absolutely true that the first two seasons (which correspond to the Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency storylines) are somewhat different than Stardust Crusaders and on. They were mid-80s Shonen Jump so of course they were hugely influenced by Buronson/Hara. But 87/88 is when he decided to do away with Hamon and get into the Stands……which I think Persona took from Jojo, not the other way around. Remember, the series is adapting manga from decades ago.

Battle Tendency is my favorite although there is a lack of Dio. I love Jonathan Joestar and his stupid fucking clacker balls. The Pillar Men are great. Phantom Blood is amazing too though, it’s like Fist of the North Star meets Hammer Horror. And of course “it was me, Dio!” Is in there.

Give the other seasons a chance, there is some awesome, weird, and hilarious stuff. The pedo skeevyness (”fan service”) that plagues a lot of anime/manga is minimized (mainly because it is so completely homoerotic), but there are a couple of questionable bits in Stardust Crusaders.

It’s bad ass that they used “Walk Like an Egyptian” over the end credits…let alone Yes’ “Roundabout”. Touches like that make it one of the rare anime shows that really has something to offer over reading the manga.

I knew that Persona took from JoJo. I watched a bit of Stardust to realize that it just didn't appeal to me.

More
18 Oct 2021 22:27 #327297 by n815e

More
19 Oct 2021 08:45 #327302 by hotseatgames
They released this teaser, which I am very sad to say, I did not care for.

More
19 Oct 2021 10:17 #327304 by Nodens
That is one boring teaser.

More
19 Oct 2021 11:24 - 19 Oct 2021 11:25 #327308 by Gary Sax
I think going weirder and more surreal and artificial is their only option... weird stilted trailer though. Going super 70s updated blaxploitation style action isn't a bad idea though.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2021 11:25 by Gary Sax.

More
19 Oct 2021 12:08 #327309 by jason10mm
I liked the editing challenge to incorporate those swipes into the show but it is exhausting to watch so I'm sure they will be used sparingly...

There is a hard to pin down thing wrong with this show though. Maybe the video look versus grainy film? It feels like I'm watching it in 48fps (which, BTW, was a TERRIBLE way to watch the Hobbit). Too fast and hyperkinetic for live action? Not enough staring slack jawed into the distance while BWAHHH BWAAHHH horns play? ;)

This looks like a nice show to watch after a couple high gravity craft beers, when the higher thinking parts of the brain shut down. I do hope they get some of the subconscious eroticism of Faye in there. She isn't a spunky sassy character, she is lust personified and can't turn it off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Oct 2021 14:34 #327313 by n815e
I like the way that trailer was presented, it’s reassuring that this isn’t going to entirely rest on the popularity of the original and do some new things.

A couple of misses for me in the teaser were the character interaction seemed less natural and Spike’s martial arts style in the cartoon is very kinetic but not here.

More
06 Jan 2022 23:50 #329504 by hotseatgames
For Christmas I received Paranoia Agent on Blu Ray. This is the 13 episode series by Satoshi Kon. I have only watched the first episode so far, and I really liked it. As expected, I'd be able to tell it was Satoshi Kon even if I didn't know. Looking forward to watching the rest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds