October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
26 Oct 2018 00:05 #284739 by hotseatgames
They aren't being subtle; everyone knows the inspirations and they are owning that. I don't mind it, but I could see how some might get annoyed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2018 09:10 - 26 Oct 2018 09:13 #284752 by Mr. White
I was ok with the paper thin originality. We play lots of games that are just copied ideas with the numbers filed off. To be honest, that was part of the initial fun...seeing who was inspired by what videogame character.

I'm not ok with theft...which is what tracing is.

Last edit: 26 Oct 2018 09:13 by Mr. White.

More
26 Oct 2018 09:37 #284757 by hotseatgames
Yeah, that Chun-Li pose is dead-on.

More
30 Oct 2018 16:00 #284961 by Legomancer
Having a hard time not backing this one:

Dark Venture

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, Frohike, BillyBobThwarton

More
30 Oct 2018 16:10 #284963 by SuperflyPete
Thanks Dave! Just backed that. Right up my alley.

More
30 Oct 2018 17:21 #284965 by Gary Sax
Looks neat. I might back. Thanks for the heads up.

More
31 Oct 2018 08:26 #284975 by Mr. White
Dark Venture does look kinda neat.

However, having not played other text rich games like Tales of the Arabian Nights, wouldn't this sort of thing not hold up so well to repeat plays? How often would one want to re-read the same passages, even if the order is different?

I guess I enjoyed Choose Your Own Adventures as a kid, but thinking about it, I didn't really re-read them often. If at all.

More
31 Oct 2018 10:17 #284984 by Msample
I am wavering on the latest Sierra Madre Kickstarter - for BIOS ORIGINS , PAX TRANSHUMANITY, and a new edition of PAX PORIFIRIANA ( I already have this , won't need again ) .

As usual, the prior one is shipping late. They're on their third different fulfillment partner in as many years. High Frontier shipped like a year late from OSS, with some inferences that OSS that Eklund was as much to blame . Last year, the BIOS GENESIS KS was an utter fucking fiasco as they stupidly chose Ship Naked as their fulfillment "partner" and as a result, not only did Eklund allegedly lose money/barely make any , but due to Shit Naked making so many shipping mistakes, very little made it to retail.

This years release , for North America they used some place in Hong Kong called Floship. These geniuses ran out of packaging materials, so as a result, over 1000 games have been sitting in their warehouse for a MONTH while they get more shipping materials. In addition, there are numerous small printing errors on GREENLAND, which for a third edition is lame.

Despite this, SMG have forged ahead and launched a KS for the next wave of games, once again using Floship, aka Sloship. Shipping charges have spiked substantially since the last one. I think this is a combo of the impending end of the China/USPS shipping subsidy as well as SMG needing to account for both using third party fulfillment as well as ION ( the business/publishing partner of SMG, since Eklund is overwhelmed ) needing their cut as well.

FOMO is real. Not so much for exclusives - SMG thankfully doesn't play that game. Rather, their print runs have always been tight. I think it will be worse this go around, with many gamers deferring both due to Floship as well as the spike in shipping charges . Whatever makes it to retail will be snatched up pretty quick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Oct 2018 12:20 #284993 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote: Dark Venture does look kinda neat.

However, having not played other text rich games like Tales of the Arabian Nights, wouldn't this sort of thing not hold up so well to repeat plays? How often would one want to re-read the same passages, even if the order is different?

I guess I enjoyed Choose Your Own Adventures as a kid, but thinking about it, I didn't really re-read them often. If at all.

I think you probably did like I did and read them 4-5 times each because you died of dysentery or what have you. If for 50$ you get 3 adventures and play them even 3 times each, you literally paid a 6 pack of Bud Light per play. Seems legit.

Me, I saw “roads with rusting cars being walked upon by orcs and wizards” and that sold me.

More
31 Oct 2018 12:20 #284994 by Not Sure
I was really interested in Pax Transhumanity until I read the design notes and saw the game concept was quite literally "be the best Elon Musk you can be".

Hard pass.

The Bios games have never gotten their hooks in me, and I'm still totally fine with my 1st Ed Pax Porfiriana.

More
31 Oct 2018 12:45 - 31 Oct 2018 12:47 #284998 by Gary Sax
I saw Chris Farrell online talking about all the issues you mentioned, msample. Sounds like a nightmare.

I'm kind of glad that SMG doesn't have anything I'm dying to get this time. I missed out on the Pax Ren expansion due to slowness but that's about it... I managed to preorder John Company from his actual site and they just sent it to me. I don't trust transhumanity and emancipation not to be ick games.

Just talking about it makes me want to get John Company on the table, Charles keeps mentioning how he plays it more and more on ding and dent and it makes me jealous as hell!
Last edit: 31 Oct 2018 12:47 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
31 Oct 2018 12:55 #284999 by mezike
We've quite enjoyed the first two Bios reprints but with the shipping included there is no way Origins is worth spending a hundred dollars on. I'm not even sure the first two were worth the money I paid. What also surprises me here is how terribly butt-ugly this edition is, it doesn't even have the mad over-busy charm of Pax Po it just looks like the old fashioned Eklundian appraoch of chucking royalty free clipart into photoshop. If it isn't representative of the finished product then they really aren't helping themselves by putting it up there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Oct 2018 12:59 #285000 by charlest

Gary Sax wrote: Just talking about it makes me want to get John Company on the table, Charles keeps mentioning how he plays it more and more on ding and dent and it makes me jealous as hell!

It's great. Cole's designed two of my top releases this year, and if I had to choose one I would take JC over Root.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
31 Oct 2018 13:15 #285003 by Msample
From the looks of it Cole is now with Leder games and thus free from the endless logistics clusterfuck that is SMG. ROOT put his name on the map for the Euro crowd for sure.

More
01 Nov 2018 09:00 #285053 by Legomancer

Not Sure wrote: I was really interested in Pax Transhumanity until I read the design notes and saw the game concept was quite literally "be the best Elon Musk you can be".

I expect no less from Eklund. In the glorious future we all aspire to, you'll either be Elon Musk or work 90 hours a week for Elon Musk. Can't wait to make it there!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds