October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
02 Dec 2022 15:03 #337174 by Virabhadra
If Fantasy Flight Games coffin boxes represented boardgaming's prog rock phase, what's its musical equivalent in the Kickstarter era?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2022 15:55 #337175 by Shellhead

Virabhadra wrote: If Fantasy Flight Games coffin boxes represented boardgaming's prog rock phase, what's its musical equivalent in the Kickstarter era?

The last several Kanye West albums.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Frohike, Virabhadra

More
02 Dec 2022 17:56 #337179 by Jackwraith
The "so few are willing to buy used" thing baffles me. Some of my favorite games are the ones I traded for, so obviously they were used to one degree or another. They show some wear, but they're perfectly fine and things like Abyss, Cyclades, and Cry Havoc will likely never leave my possession. "Cult of the new" has more than one meaning, I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, n815e

More
02 Dec 2022 20:23 - 02 Dec 2022 20:34 #337180 by Frohike

Shellhead wrote:

Virabhadra wrote: If Fantasy Flight Games coffin boxes represented boardgaming's prog rock phase, what's its musical equivalent in the Kickstarter era?

And stuff like “The Sword” are the reprints.

Fortunately we still get the occasional release from other channels: Sleep (Emperors of Eternal Evil), or Low (Devious Weasel), or Oh Sees (Goblinko)
Last edit: 02 Dec 2022 20:34 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
02 Dec 2022 23:16 #337183 by Shellhead

Frohike wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

And stuff like “The Sword” are the reprints.

Fortunately we still get the occasional release from other channels: Sleep (Emperors of Eternal Evil), or Low (Devious Weasel), or Oh Sees (Goblinko)

Here is an odd other channel:

www.facebook.com/hashtag/creaturesofthelateafternoon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
03 Dec 2022 08:24 #337190 by southernman

Prog rock would be early German games (late 90s), FFG coffin boxes are the Heavy Metal Hair Bands B) ...(not getting rid of my remaining ones)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike

More
03 Dec 2022 19:02 #337192 by Gregarius
I've always preferred a music analogy to games rather than movies. Designers have periods. A single game is like an album, where there might be one hit but the rest is so-so, or every track/aspect is great.

I especially like the parallel between fans. Everybody loves the early stuff, and wishes they'd do more like that. Until they actually do put out more like that and everybody says they're repeating themselves. So then they experiment and go off in a totally new direction, and everybody says they should just stick to the good old stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Virabhadra

More
04 Dec 2022 12:43 #337200 by Jackwraith
So, as much as I've been saying that I don't need new games (and I don't), I still have fallen in with a couple KS/Gamefound things for various reasons over the past two years. I'm currently waiting on:

The Ra reprint. I had a copy years ago and it was one of those Knizia's that just didn't grab me as well as others have. I still think that Modern Art is his best auction game, but there are some great elements to Ra, as well, so when it got reprinted (and with a return to better artwork than the Z-Man/FFG version), I decided to get in on it and see if it appeals to my current groups.

The 51st State expansion. They did the massive reprint of everything, but I already own everything, so I'm just waiting on another expansion of the best engine builder I currently own. Whatevs.

Tiny Epic Vikings. As always, I'll try anything Tiny Epic because they've all been somewhere between good and great and usually more toward the latter. This is supposed to be delivered in January or February.

Tiny Epic Crimes. This "campaign" is still running, I think. There are no stretch goals. It's just a way to get the game and the expansion at a price that's slightly cheaper than retail. It's scheduled to be delivered next summer, I think.

Arcs. Because it's Cole and anything he does is worth trying, kinda like Scott Almes and TE. Think it's still a year away, which is fine. It's still within the scope of my "anything Almes/Wehrle/Lang do, I'll seriously look at" approach.

Which is part of the reason I got in on Chicken, which is a goofy dice game by Almes, which I normally would have looked at and moved on from, but my girlfriend saw the ad on BGG when I was on their site and LOOOOOVES chickens (We have four in an elaborate coop out back.) I figured it would make a cool birthday gift (because we hardly ever give each other anything anymore) and be something we could take to summer festivals and things like that.

But the only reason I broke my usual rule of only trading for stuff for Weimar is because it looks AMAZING. It's a GMT-style game, which I don't get on the table much. It's ridiculously expensive for what it is. But the historical period is one of those fascinating moments for me (interwar Germany; I loved Babylon Berlin) and the current political situation in the US makes it that much more interesting. So that was my one real KS splurge.

And, oh, yeah, the endless wait for the Cthulhu Wars expansions continues. But now they're supposedly in containers and on a boat and due for distribution this winter. Yeah. Sure. Not holding my breath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
04 Dec 2022 13:12 #337202 by n815e
At least customers in Germany can now buy Cthulhu Wars in retail, while backers from OS3 have yet to get a single product. Petersen really knows how to treat its financial supporters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith

More
04 Dec 2022 13:45 #337203 by Msample
Does the newest RA reprint have wooden tiles ? I saw a newish version a few years ago and they were thickish cardboard. The original was wood. I suspect not; wood prices have gone way up; GMT has posted concerning statements with regards to reprints of the COMMAND AND COLORS games due to this issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Dec 2022 14:11 - 04 Dec 2022 14:13 #337204 by Frohike
The “deluxe” Kickstarter edition (25th Century Games) does have wooden tiles, though it’s twice the $40 retail price.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2022 14:13 by Frohike.

More
04 Dec 2022 14:22 - 04 Dec 2022 14:23 #337206 by ChristopherMD
I love Ra. You can make any copy a pseudo-deluxe copy by adding geekstore bits and a cloth-printed board.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2022 14:23 by ChristopherMD.

More
04 Dec 2022 15:16 #337207 by Virabhadra
To be honest, card sleeves make a game look deluxe for me.

More
04 Dec 2022 20:32 #337212 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I did not spring for the wooden tiles. My previous edition (Uberplay) was all cardboard except the Ra token and that was perfectly fine.

More
07 Dec 2022 08:05 #337258 by Legomancer
There's a new printing of Sol: Last Days of a Star on KS. I played it once and really liked it, but I don't know if I $65+ liked it. (I'm also not in binge mode at the moment.)

www.kickstarter.com/projects/elephantlab...very_category_newest
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds