October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
06 May 2022 16:06 #332860 by Disgustipater
We gave up on the Necromunda books years ago. We just use the YakTribe compiled rules PDF.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2022 17:26 - 06 May 2022 17:32 #332862 by Virabhadra

Jackwraith wrote: many people get turned away from spending hundreds or thousands more on models because they're asked to throw down that much on a collection of nice pictures and about 800 words of needed text before they even roll a die.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Dominion set's gorgeous hardback Age of Sigmar Core Rulebook is 245 pages of lore and about 30 pages of rules; on the other hand, I didn't pick up that box with any intention of playing Age of Sigmar. I haven't seen an army book in a decade and keeping up with the rules churn is real, but I remember digging every last page of the Eldar Codices back when I dabbled in 40k. It's still a high price point if you only want the rules, and the GW model doesn't really support engaging with only that aspect of the "hobby. "
Last edit: 06 May 2022 17:32 by Virabhadra.

More
06 May 2022 19:36 #332867 by Jackwraith
Right. They're great stuff to just sit and read. When I played, I had the codices/army books of every army in the game, not just so I was intimately familiar with all their rules, since I played a lot of tournaments, but also because a lot of them were just great reads. When I got out, I kept the books for the two armies I still have stashed in the basement (Skaven and Sisters) and the Battle for Armageddon mini-codex, since it had a great story.

More
06 May 2022 21:10 #332869 by n815e
It’s more costly now to buy them all just for the stories.

More
07 May 2022 07:15 - 07 May 2022 07:15 #332876 by southernman
I've been doing my best to be very disciplined in the last year, keeping my finger off the button due to all my current (delayed) KSers still to arrive and the much higher prices recently (which are probably fair but more than I'd pay for just a single game). I am probably going to go for the Waste Knights: Beyond the Horizon expansion and possibly the Sleeping Gods: Distant Skies new offering from Ryan Laukat, although with the latter I am on the fence as I have the original and it is fun and interesting but a bit different to most of my games and possibly one of them is enough (especially as with the expansions there is so much content in it).

A couple of recent ones I have skipped on are The Dark Quarter by Lucky Duck games, this is based on the same system as their Destinies game that arrived last year and I found it so simple and unremarkable that I traded it without even playing the two expansions, and Anastyr by Mythic Games that was just too expensive to get something similar to what I already have.

Only ones on the horizon are Silver Coin: Age of Monster Hunters later this month, just looks like a well designed and fun adventure game, and Awaken Realm's Tainted Grain follow up Tainted Grail: Kings of Ruin sometime later this year.
Last edit: 07 May 2022 07:15 by southernman.

More
07 May 2022 09:06 #332877 by charlest
I had backed the Waste Knights expansion and then cancelled. It's a great game, but it's difficult to justify the $30-$40 shipping for an expansion which will be at retail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike

More
07 May 2022 12:27 #332878 by Virabhadra

southernman wrote: Awaken Realm's Tainted Grain

Tainted Grain: Ergot Fantasies, witch-hunt simulator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, dysjunct, jason10mm, Frohike, sornars

More
07 May 2022 17:09 #332883 by ChristopherMD
Tainted Grain: Amish Rebellion 2036-2045, sounds cool but just another euro farming game
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike, n815e

More
07 May 2022 18:02 #332884 by southernman
My breakfast cereal obviously left a worse taste in my mouth than I thought ....:whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Frohike, Virabhadra

More
27 May 2022 08:00 #333316 by Ah_Pook
The ridiculous version of Castles of Burgundy on Gamefound atm really feels like a boardgame Twitter joke from a couple years ago come to life. Quadruple later player boards, two separate boxes of minis and acrylic tiles you can buy, on and on. I quite enjoy CoB but I don't see the appeal of something like this at all. I guess they say people shelling it crazy money for a less playable "deluxe" version of Suburbia and said WE CAN DO THAT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars, WadeMonnig

More
27 May 2022 10:20 #333319 by n815e
I’m guilty of buying some ridiculously priced games with more stuff than will ever get played.

So I suppose I’m part of the problem.

But I do think it is a problem and when I realized that my expectations of what a game costs started to shift to hundreds of dollars, I came to the conclusion that this is not a good trend for anyone.

More
27 May 2022 14:35 - 27 May 2022 14:36 #333321 by southernman

charlest wrote: I had backed the Waste Knights expansion and then cancelled. It's a great game, but it's difficult to justify the $30-$40 shipping for an expansion which will be at retail.

Ended up doing the same - for the cost, but also because I have so many games on my shelves and then arriving that it would just not get played for literally years (not kidding, the 8 big KSers arriving this year will take a couple of years just by themselves) ... plus the core game isn't really blowing me away at the moment.

And I have been as controlled on other recent kickstarters, The Breach looked a cool game but it was way over what I would pay for a single core boardgame, yes costs are going up everywhere but that still doesn't trump what I am prepared to pay for a game.
Last edit: 27 May 2022 14:36 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
31 May 2022 17:43 - 01 Jun 2022 14:35 #333394 by hotseatgames
Has anyone played the Batman game that uses the Conan system? It's back on KS for season 3 (!). Looks cool but as usual, there is so much in it that you'd have to be really dedicated to enjoy it all. They also have a proper pen and paper Batman RPG this time.

update: after more investigation, and talking to Charlie... this one just seems like a bungled opportunity with too much content, and while there are surely some diamonds in there, I'm not willing to buy the whole mine to find them.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2022 14:35 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
01 Jun 2022 15:49 - 01 Jun 2022 15:50 #333419 by cdennett

hotseatgames wrote: Has anyone played the Batman game that uses the Conan system? It's back on KS for season 3 (!). Looks cool but as usual, there is so much in it that you'd have to be really dedicated to enjoy it all. They also have a proper pen and paper Batman RPG this time.

update: after more investigation, and talking to Charlie... this one just seems like a bungled opportunity with too much content, and while there are surely some diamonds in there, I'm not willing to buy the whole mine to find them.

I've backed Season 1 and about half of Season 2, and I'm going 100% on sunk cost fallacy and picking up the rest of the board game content for Season 3. However, I also generally agree with your paraphrasing of Charlie above. There is some really good stuff in this game, but there's so much in the way of enjoying it. I've had some enjoyable games of it, though I've been willing to tweak the rules a bit to make the game less of an optimization puzzle for the heroes. But the game is not worth $x00 that you would need to get the core game and some expansions. I wouldn't back it now starting from scratch. In 2 years when Season 3 hits, I'm sure the market will get flooded with cheaper copies when backers discovered they didn't read the fine print and the rules/scenarios aren't actually improved with the new books.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2022 15:50 by cdennett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
02 Jun 2022 00:46 #333428 by Space Ghost
After a minor mistake from the shipping company and a major fuckup from FedEx, I think I’m the last person on the continent to finally get Nemesis.

I blame Charlie for piquing my interest…
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds