October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Latest You Tube videos watched and enjoyed...

More
15 Apr 2014 18:31 #175937 by repoman
He's still one of the dumbest people alive...Christ...check the look the blonde gives him when he says " on the spot dicespin".

Reminds me of Randy Marsh's appearance on the wheel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 22:41 #175946 by RobertB
Oh yeah. He needs to give his alma mater a call and see if he can get his money back.

More
16 Apr 2014 12:56 #175983 by repoman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

More
08 May 2014 10:35 #177687 by Black Barney
With hockey playoffs in full swing, I really enjoyed this gem that just happened:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pug, wadenels

More
09 May 2014 14:39 - 09 May 2014 14:42 #177759 by bomber
honestly, I feel sad for all of you not speaking Swedish because this is just brilliant, you will just have to trust me

(not a joke - its not a real advert, its just some random guy selling his shitty old Volvo here in Sweden, in the movie voice but with deadpan delivery of descriptions like "this car comes with an inside AND an outside, FOUR handles etc etc". It's gone a bit viral over here
Last edit: 09 May 2014 14:42 by bomber.

More
09 May 2014 15:36 #177770 by Black Barney
...yeah, I always liked Norway

More
09 May 2014 17:13 #177786 by Applejack
I've been keeping up with this redub of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies, called 'Nigga Turtles'.

www.youtube.com/user/itsreal85vids

Seriously, get real high and watch this shit, it's hilarious. I think it's just one guy doing it all too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
14 May 2014 00:27 #178011 by jeb
When folks ask me what I think of the creation story in Beresheit (that's "Genesis" to you Latin fans out there), I can tell them I think of it a lot like this short YouTube video:

The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
14 May 2014 04:02 - 14 May 2014 09:22 #178015 by OldHippy
I saw that clip earlier Jeb and it made me want to see the movie, which I had little interest in before then.

I like they're take on it. I remember in one of my classes in school (science and religion) the teacher asked us a weird question. 'Imagine you're God, you know everything, and a group of nomads are praying to you for some kind of knowledge and guidance. They want to know how the universe began. Do you show them this' - then he'd put a giant math equation representing the big bang on an overhead - 'or this' - and he put up a comic strip with six panels, the six days of creation. Nice and clear.

It seems silly and obvious to me now, but at the time I was genuinely surprised. The six days are a decent model for evolution and the universes beginnings, heavily truncated of course. I had never really thought about it before. I didn't possess that kind of hermenutical sensitivity. I had to put myself in their shoes for a moment and admit that from that perspective the story made sense. Sure it seems absurd today in many ways but to those people, at that time, it was profound and of course the solidarity and structure that those stories partially created helped us get closer and closer to the truth. Helping to form a society that moved us to where we are now. I don't think the intention was to lead them specifically to the Big Bang and evolution or anything like that, but it's a nice little concept none the less. If you like that kind of thought process there's plenty to be gleaned from doing the mental work.

Reflecting on all of this after seeing that clip really makes me wonder how much Arronofsky could get from the source material. Which is rich beyond compare due to how often it's been used and how ingrained in our collective consciousness it is.

Has anyone seen Noah around here?
Last edit: 14 May 2014 09:22 by OldHippy.

More
14 May 2014 11:18 #178038 by jeb
I haven't seen the movie, I heard it was kind of a slog. But this little clip does a great job capturing what I will call the Rambam (aka Maimonides) interpretation of creation. The days are not "earth turns around once" days. They are metaphorical days for the eons of time to arrive to the world we live in today. Mind you, Rambam was a Biblical literalist. But there was no sun for until the third day, so those earlier days can be as long as you want. The rest is miracles.

Anyway, I am not so literal. It's the creation story, and what I get from it is that there was earth, and it was in balance, and then there was Humanity and Humanity knew Itself and everything has been like this ever since.

Pretty early in the Torah, Cain responds to God, "Am I my brother's keeper?" The rest of the Torah can be seen as the answer to that question. (credit to W. Gunther Plaut for that one).

More
14 May 2014 11:34 - 14 May 2014 11:38 #178040 by san il defanso

JonJacob wrote: Has anyone seen Noah around here?

I reviewed it on my blog. It's kind of bonkers, in a good way. I ended up writing the review from a more Christian perspective. Jeb would be far more qualified to give a better perspective on how well the movie jives with Jewish tradition.
Last edit: 14 May 2014 11:38 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
14 May 2014 13:56 #178073 by san il defanso
This is so ridiculous...

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
15 May 2014 10:42 #178145 by SebastianBludd
I'll always be a sucker for videos where a cat is punching above its weight by taking on (and beating) a larger opponent, but this one is better than most. A man's security camera catches the neighbor's dog attacking his 4 year-old child, and then shit gets REAL.

I've seen plenty of videos of cats swatting at and chasing other animals, but I think this is the first time I've ever witnessed the dreaded FLYING FELINE BODY TACKLE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Black Barney, Attrition

More
15 May 2014 10:50 #178149 by ThirstyMan
Can't play that. You Tube reports 'this video is private'.

More
16 May 2014 11:28 #178295 by jeb

This song was my jam in high school.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds