October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
04 May 2014 18:37 #177390 by Hatchling

Sagrilarus wrote:
Finally, Maria, which I hadn't played since WBC 2011. Truly a unique, impressive game. Masterful design. If you get the chance you have to play and don't let the initial appearance intimidate you. Once you get things rolling the rules disappear and you just play naturally. Simply one of the most impressive games I've ever played. I was the Prussians and Pragmatics and coasted to a win after the Austrians and Frence became too entangled to extract themselves from each other without mutual destruction. After I showed the ability to roll into weakened territory without fear of reprisal they agreed to concession, more due to their bloodied states than anything I had done. Excellent gaming.

S.

Nice. Did you win with the Prussians or with the Pragmatic Army? I really love this game. It's just so exciting and interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2014 18:58 #177391 by Da Bid Dabid
On a related tangent can anyone who's played both quick lay out Friedrich compared to Maria? I've played the former and not the latter and while I enjoyed it, it would need something else to get it to the table over other games. Does Maria have that?

More
04 May 2014 21:30 - 04 May 2014 21:32 #177395 by KingPut
Da Bid Dabid,

Game play (movement, combat, etc) between Freidrich and Maria are similar. How Maria is different: Maria adds in a political phase where players will bid a card. If they bid highest they can alter minor powers alliances and events on other fronts (Italian and Russian) not directly in the game. Maria is every player against each other more so than Freidrich which is one against everyone. I think Maria is shorter and more balanced game. Maria is one of my favorite games, I have it rated a 10 on BBG and Freidrich a 9. You have Freidrich a 6, maybe you would rate Maria a little higher 7? but I would expect any more than that. For you my recommendation is hold off on buying Maria unless you can get it in trade or get a good deal on it. Hatchling is probably our biggest expert on Maria.
Last edit: 04 May 2014 21:32 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hatchling, Da Bid Dabid

More
04 May 2014 22:14 #177397 by hotseatgames
I played some german card game called G Nixxt or something like that. You lay out these rows of cards and you play a card from your hand that is numbered higher than the last card in the row, but you don't want to be the sixth card in the row or you have to take the first 5 cards as points. You don't want points in this game. It was okay, but there was minimal strategy and it really was just a time waster.

Then I observed what was probably the most satisfying 4 player game of City of Lycans. All players were really into it and thinking about their moves. It was great to watch and the game is in a really good place now I think.

At the end of the night we played Biblios, which is always fun.

More
04 May 2014 22:56 #177399 by engelstein
6 Nimmt. It's also been published under Category 5, and other names.

More
05 May 2014 00:38 #177405 by Sagrilarus
The Prussians. The Pragmatics had oppotunities as well but they needed more markers down and, in spite of blowing away the local French general, it would have taken substantial time just to cover the distance let alone do it cautiously.

Superb game, very little like it in the market. It's a very rare game that has its own category to itself.

S.

More
05 May 2014 06:39 #177409 by hotseatgames

engelstein wrote: 6 Nimmt. It's also been published under Category 5, and other names.

That's the one. :)

I also saw a cool area control game called Domaine getting played. Looked like fun and had very attractive components. Anyone played it?

More
05 May 2014 08:20 #177412 by engelstein
Domaine is fun, and can get pretty nasty and aggressive. It is a streamlining of an earlier design called Lowenherz, which has umlauts somewhere.

More
05 May 2014 10:07 #177422 by Michael Barnes
Ha, I literally just did the paperwork to re-buy a copy of Domaine from a guy on BGG ($20, a great price).

It's a great game- it's also a Klaus Teuber title and it (as Lowenherz) was originally pitched as a sort of feudal sequel to Settlers of Catan. Nothing like Settlers though...you play cards to wall off areas. Collect money from mines in your areas. Play knights into your areas to guard your boundaries. Pretty simple and it can get really nasty with people moving three walls and just decimating your kingdom. The Mayfair edition looks awesome too. The old Goldsieber edition wasn't as good...Domaine streamlined some things and made a good design an awesome game.

I also bought Entdeckder from the same guy (only $15!)...it was supposed to be the prequel to Settlers, about the discovery of the island. It's a good one too, and another that got an updated version that significantly improved on the original release.

More
05 May 2014 10:58 - 05 May 2014 10:59 #177427 by VonTush
This weekend I two Star Trek Attack Wing events.
First was the Tholian Web single episode. The best OP scenario I've played so far. The play area kept shrinking as this line spiraled around the edges...If the game goes long enough to close off the web it leaves an approx 12" x 12" play area. This was also the first time I got to play against The Borg and Bioships.

My first game was a Bioship supported by four Romulan pud ships. The Bioship has an ability where it can channel shots from the support ships into one big blast. Lucky for me a few support ships were out of range to add their attack but it still put a good size hole into The Sutherland, but not enough to kill it. Eventually the web closed and two Romulan support ships, the Bioship and Voyager were all victims leaving The Sutherland.

The second game was my Voyager and Sutherland up against a Borg Sphere and Picard on the Reliant with an Energy Dissipator (like Ion cannon for XWing palyers). Early on I had the decision to shoot at the Sphere or the Reliant. I went Reliant and I think that was my downfall. The Reliant went down, but I never could get a good fire-arc on the Sphere again due to its movement style. This was my first loss at this venue.

Third round I had the bye. I ended up in 3rd overall...And disappointed I couldn't secure a prize ship at this one.

The second event wrapped up The Dominion War at the location I was hosting at. I had a fare showing, losing my second round which was a huge victory for my opponent. He runs the events at another place and we've met many times and I've always edged him out...Yesterday he was finally able to claim victory.

For the final rankings and the DS9 prize, the two people in first and second place both passed, having already won one, so the guy who took DS9 home won simply by showing up the most. He averaged 1-2 at the events...And I come to find out he has a pair of friends that just lost their dad who are both big fans of the DS9 series and he's going to give them the DS9 model as a little pick me up. My hat's off to him.
Last edit: 05 May 2014 10:59 by VonTush.

More
05 May 2014 11:28 #177429 by Gary Sax
Putting together all you previous posts... you did get the DS9 model yourself after all the bullshit that one location was putting you through, right? Changing the rules and all that?

More
05 May 2014 12:08 #177434 by VonTush
So someone was paying attention!

The store that changed the rules did hook me up.
I can't remember if I mentioned or not, but that last event at the store I was doing really well in, I wasn't able to make it. The wife obtained tickets to Kansas City Dancing with the Stars benefit through her work that same night and her boss was dancing...It was a $200 a plate benefit, so gaming that night wasn't an option.

I swung by the store prior to the event just to chat and see if anything could be worked out. They were locked in so it couldn't move. BUT as I was checking out with my Tie Fighters for XWing I was buying the guy asked "Are you planning on coming to the other events?" I told him yes, and then he said "Hold on"...He ran in back and came out with a second DS9 that the store ordered and was planning on throwing on the shelf and threw it into my bag.

So, in the end it worked out well, in spite of all my online bitching. And by making solid I've already dropped a bunch of scratch there instead of my normal store.

More
05 May 2014 12:51 #177439 by SuperflyPete
You got the DS9 big plastic model, or the cardboard thing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

More
05 May 2014 13:05 #177441 by VonTush
Big plastic thing.

More
10 May 2014 12:40 #177850 by DukeofChutney
played Marvel Dice masters, it was ok.

I think i'm bored with board gaming.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.842 seconds