October 09, 2023
2298 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2514 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

BGG shutting down Marketplace

More
10 Aug 2022 17:24 #334946 by Gary Sax
Check your local used bookshop. Mine now takes games and it's effortless to get rid of them and they have an odd but weirdly good selection of games now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2022 17:32 #334947 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: As I've said in other threads, if you have access to cons/meetups they can be a great way of getting rid of games w/o the hassle of shipping, emails etc. I sold about $600 at WBC a few weeks ago between the auction and flea market.

The other avenue is NOBLE KNIGHT will buy stuff, giving you store credit or a slightly lower amount in cash. They cover shipping as well. You won't get top dollar of course, but its hard to beat the one stop shopping ( or opposite in this case ) . Their pricing is variable of course; if they have six copies of say CASE BLUE they aren't gonna give you the same value as if your copy was the only one. But its easy and convenient. Good for unpunched/shrink stuff .

I bought some used rpg stuff from Noble Knight a while back, and got on their emailing list. A few months ago, they had a special offer where they would reimburse at least some of your gasoline receipts if you physically showed up at their location in Wisconsin to sell enough games. I did the math and the games that I might consider selling weren't going to be enough to fully offset the cost of gas, plus it would be at least a 9 hour roundtrip counting the time for them to look over my games and make me an offer. At that time, gas prices were still fairly reasonable but shipping prices might have been high. Now the gas prices are a bigger issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
10 Aug 2022 18:20 #334949 by cdennett
My TOS subscription feed is already starting to collect posts from the new "Flea Market" forum for each game. Maybe they'll get smart and set those forums to be opt-in instead of opt-out, but it'll be a lot of work on my part to go and block the forum for each game in my subscription list (since 99% of those are games I already own). Really I'm hoping they lean into the Trade interface with the new "For sale" check box, that can do automated searches and you can put prices and conditions in the "trade comment" or whatever field. Not really sure where I'm going to go, never looked at Facebook groups which seems to be where most people are pointing to.

But hey, I'm no longer obligated to give 3% of my sales at the BGG.Con VFM back to BGG, so there's that.

More
11 Aug 2022 07:56 #334954 by Legomancer
I just recently started trying to buy used more than new. This kind of sucks. Facebook and such are good if you're selling or browsing, but more often than not I am looking for a specific game. Marketplace was decent for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries, ecargo

More
11 Aug 2022 08:50 #334955 by fightcitymayor
One of the fun aspects was trying to find a game, only to see a collection of dusty, unloved listings that spanned YEARS, some of which by users that hadn't logged in since Obama was president. Talk about a feature that BGG never really cared enough about to do it right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Nodens

More
11 Aug 2022 10:16 #334957 by Rliyen
Well, I'll make some purchases I've had my eye before it goes the way of the dinosaur.

More
11 Aug 2022 11:07 #334959 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic BGG shutting down Marketplace
Aldie actually did reply, but, other than being a little more personal, it was more or less the same as before: the beta blew up, there wasn't another way forward, no one's happy about it, and we're sorry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen

More
11 Aug 2022 14:21 #334963 by Virabhadra
Am I reading this wrong, or is this basically just pulling the middleman out of the transaction? What's the difference on my end whether I'm setting a notification for a specific game's Flea Market forum or getting a Marketplace notification? This doesn't seem to affect my chances of eventually finding Die Schlact der Dinosaurier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
11 Aug 2022 14:38 - 11 Aug 2022 14:39 #334964 by charlest
One key difference is that there is now an onus on the seller to update their original Flea Market thread letting people know an item sold.

Also, by inviting comments, I expect to see more complaining about prices.

Finally, there's a lack of feedback.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2022 14:39 by charlest.

More
11 Aug 2022 15:00 #334966 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic BGG shutting down Marketplace
Also lack of someone to moderate disputes, although I don’t know how effective BGG was at this.

More
11 Aug 2022 15:13 #334967 by Virabhadra

fightcitymayor wrote: One of the fun aspects was trying to find a game, only to see a collection of dusty, unloved listings that spanned YEARS

Granted, it wasn't the most efficient use of my time then, but the legwork of actively tracking down stuff like Capes & Cowls or Mushroom Eaters is undeniably part of the charm of having them now.

More
11 Aug 2022 16:22 - 11 Aug 2022 16:24 #334968 by Nodens

Virabhadra wrote: Am I reading this wrong, or is this basically just pulling the middleman out of the transaction? What's the difference on my end whether I'm setting a notification for a specific game's Flea Market forum or getting a Marketplace notification? This doesn't seem to affect my chances of eventually finding Die Schlact der Dinosaurier.

No idea how much you're willing to pay for this but ''die schlacht der dinosaurier'' is on ebay.de right now, five complete and a couple of incomplete versions. 65-120€ though and no idea if they'll ship worldwide.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2022 16:24 by Nodens.

More
11 Aug 2022 17:50 #334969 by Virabhadra
The shipping normally kills the deal, if the seller is willing to ship at all.

Speaking of which, USPS announced price hikes for holiday shipping that kick in starting October. Between that and BGG Marketplace closing, this seemed like a good time to dust off my old Wishlist... I wonder if this'll be the year for 'Thrilling Tales of Adventure!'? :-P

More
11 Aug 2022 19:13 #334970 by jay718

Virabhadra wrote:

fightcitymayor wrote: One of the fun aspects was trying to find a game, only to see a collection of dusty, unloved listings that spanned YEARS

Granted, it wasn't the most efficient use of my time then, but the legwork of actively tracking down stuff like Capes & Cowls or Mushroom Eaters is undeniably part of the charm of having them now.

I've got a copy of Capes and Cowls I'll part with...

More
11 Aug 2022 19:17 #334971 by Msample

Virabhadra wrote: The shipping normally kills the deal, if the seller is willing to ship at all.

Speaking of which, USPS announced price hikes for holiday shipping that kick in starting October. Between that and BGG Marketplace closing, this seemed like a good time to dust off my old Wishlist... I wonder if this'll be the year for 'Thrilling Tales of Adventure!'? :-P

Funny you mention that , there have been a few recent AARs of people playing the game; I have no idea where it’s at in terms of development, publisher etc .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds