October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAMES are you TRADING?

More
05 Nov 2019 11:00 - 05 Nov 2019 11:02 #303135 by charlest
Skies Above the Reich looks great, been wanting to try that but got caught up in other stuff (I have a personal 1 wargame at a time limit and I'm currently exploring Tank Duel).
Last edit: 05 Nov 2019 11:02 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2019 11:32 #303138 by Gary Sax
oh my god, are they doing another edition of totaler krieg? I need to get rid of my old one for good and not come back, what a dud, the rules were impossibly dense and then 3 weeks later there's constantly a new rules edition.

Fuck that.

More
05 Nov 2019 11:40 #303139 by barrowdown

Gary Sax wrote: oh my god, are they doing another edition of totaler krieg? I need to get rid of my old one for good and not come back, what a dud, the rules were impossibly dense and then 3 weeks later there's constantly a new rules edition.

Fuck that.

It was originally supposed to be an expansion/upgrade kit. It was going to add an expanded Random Setup Generator like Flames of War has with Day of Decision, expanded air/naval stuff for people wanting more detail, and then fixes to rebalance Dai Senso! They now decided it's just going to be a completely new edition combining Totaler Krieg!, Dai Senso! and the originally proposed expansions with new rulebooks and scenarios.

More
05 Nov 2019 12:21 #303140 by Gary Sax
lol, god, I remember that expansion plan!

More
08 Nov 2019 15:23 #303934 by barrowdown
Well I got rid of Axis Empires: Dai Senso! along with Panzer Battles for a copy of Red Storm. Red Storm is the new GMT Downtown series game covering a hypothetical Cold War air conflict in 1987. I think it's a big win for me!

More
12 Nov 2019 23:10 #304171 by Jackwraith
Traded Wingspan and Honshu for a complete Kickstartered copy of 878 Vikings, including expansion.

As noted in a couple threads elsewhere, Wingspan just did not do it for me. I played it three times and each time sat in mild wonder that so many people decided that this was the game of the year. It just doesn't do that much that so many engine builders do right now and/or have done before. I like the concept of Honshu and it seems like a good travel/camping game, but it just didn't draw enough interest to come off the shelf more than a couple times.

878 wasn't a must-have on my trade list, but I love historical wargames and I was willing to make a trade based on a willingness to try something to replace two games that I was unlikely to play again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
08 Dec 2019 11:52 #304903 by Ah_Pook
Got a random trade offer on bgg, Century: Spice Road for Adel Verplichtet (never played). I windmill slammed accept.

More
08 Dec 2019 13:28 #304907 by Msample

barrowdown wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: oh my god, are they doing another edition of totaler krieg? I need to get rid of my old one for good and not come back, what a dud, the rules were impossibly dense and then 3 weeks later there's constantly a new rules edition.

Fuck that.

It was originally supposed to be an expansion/upgrade kit. It was going to add an expanded Random Setup Generator like Flames of War has with Day of Decision, expanded air/naval stuff for people wanting more detail, and then fixes to rebalance Dai Senso! They now decided it's just going to be a completely new edition combining Totaler Krieg!, Dai Senso! and the originally proposed expansions with new rulebooks and scenarios.[/I]

Decision can’t even reprint old SPI stuff w/o screwing up something. Redoing of their own games? What could GP wrong....

More
10 Dec 2019 00:47 - 10 Dec 2019 00:48 #304954 by Jackwraith
Going out: Terraforming Mars, Photosynthesis, Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne
The first two I just couldn't get into. I tried TM three times and it wasn't that far away from multiplayer solitaire. I can see that it's a decent game. It's just not me. I'd rather player 51st State every time. Photosynthesis is similar. If I want to try again, a friend just picked it up (she works for an enviro consulting firm.) The latter we tried to play once before realizing that it's basically a lesser form of CE. I already have CE, so why would I want a lesser version? It was a gift, so now it will serve a purpose.

Coming in: Vast: The Crystal Caverns, Vast: The Fearsome Foes, Vast miniatures expansion, and Caesar's Gallic War.
I've finally decided that I like Root, so I figured I'd try the designer's previous effort, especially since it's a whole different genre of game. Caesar's is a block wargame, so obvsly. Plus, it means three games are going out for only two coming in, so the collection IS shrinking (he says, hopefully...)
Last edit: 10 Dec 2019 00:48 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
20 Dec 2019 17:45 #305386 by barrowdown
Going out: 1914 Glory's End/When Eagles Fight, Blitz! A World in Conflict, WAW #45: Panzers East Solitaire, WAW #53: Strike & Counterstrike, WAW #55 Commandos: Europe.

Coming in: Empire of the Sun, most recent printing.

I had not played 1914 Glory's End/When Eagles Fight, but it looked less interesting than the 1914 series games I have, and the other games were bad to meh (lone exception is Commandos: Europe, but I am alright not having it). I'm excited for Empire of the Sun and the new solo system is supposed to be pretty good.

More
22 Jan 2020 07:21 - 22 Jan 2020 07:29 #306475 by Ah_Pook
Out:
Battle of the Five Armies (bought this and War of the Ring for $10, haven't popped the shrink on this and don't foresee ever doing so when I would just play WOTR instead)
Chaos In The Old World Horned Rat expansion (got this with the base game, have never played 5p or used any of the expansion cards. Seems unnecessary, and divisive whether any of the extension stuff is even any good)

In:
World of Warcraft The Boardgame + Shadow of War expansion

Got a hankering to play this one for whatever reason. Looks like a fun solo game, plus I have one friend who is deep in the vanilla WOW rabbit hole who I think might enjoy it. Now I'm on the prowl for a trade for the other expansion heh. Theyre kind of wildly expensive these days.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2020 07:29 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
23 Jan 2020 22:40 #306560 by Jackwraith
Out: City of Remnants
In: Alien Artifacts

City is probably the "better" game, but I was never going to get it played. It's simply too cumbersome in its execution (I've been told that Neon Gods does this much better), even if the mechanics are quite cool once it gets going.

I'm a huge Portal Games fan, so I've been thinking about trading for this for a while. I don't really need another engine builder but since it has that weird Portal aspect to it, where more resources actually make the game go faster, rather than bogging down turns, I knew I needed to try it at some point. That point has arrived.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
24 Jan 2020 09:02 #306568 by lj1983
out: Formula D
in : yellow & yangtze

Formula D was a (NIS) $5 yardsale find. I've had it before, and I like the idea of it more than the actual play.

Y&Y? I've definitely been more into the good Dr's stuff recently. high levels of conflict, relatively low rules and piece complexity? I'm in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
18 Feb 2020 05:30 #307200 by Ah_Pook
Out: Azul, Voyages of Marco Polo, Res Arcana+expansion

In: the first two waves of Aeons End (2 big boxes, 5 small boxes), sleeved with custom foamcore inserts

I've personally played Azul out at this point, and it still gets played regularly at my game group so I can play it if I feel the urge. Marco Polo is great but it's in a competitive slot in my collection and just doesn't get played. I love Res Arcana, but no one else i play with cared for it and my main card game opponent would play RFTG over it 999/1000 times so yknow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
10 Mar 2020 12:48 #307819 by barrowdown
I traded Tinian: The Forgotten Battle, clipped and punched. I did not like the read through of the rulebook and it did not make me eager to play it. It also made me post the other two from the series: Guam and Saipan for sale, which have already sold.

In return, I am getting two TCS games: Canadian Crucible and Black Wednesday; as well as Silent War.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds