October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Looking for live online Wir Sind Das Volk opponent (PST) timezone

More
09 Nov 2021 18:36 #327823 by mezike
Back to WSDV - my copies arrived and I've played a couple of multi-handed solo in order to get the rules and flow down. The regular two player game is just as good as I remember it, but wow is 2+2 something special. It plays much the same but with the addition of a cold-war face-off between the USA and CCCP; although you play as two teams only one of you can win so there is an incentive to play against your own teammate up until the point that you both start losing your grip on the game due to your internecine bickering and you join forces again to wrest back control.

In my play earlier tonight I was five minutes to midnight the whole way through. There is a 'peace box' full of white Dove tokens that are turned over every time there is an escalation of hostility until eventually only the red button is left. The US had rattled sabres early in the game in an attempt to secure an early win in the arms race but that position was slowly eroded despite putting the world on the edge of disaster. Eventually, the only viable way for the US to win was to keep raising tensions even though every flip of a card could immediately trigger WW3. Meanwhile the CCCP dominated the space race and was all set for victory due to a stable East and being far ahead of the US in prestige; The DDR's only chance of victory would be to force America into triggering nuclear war as the DDR would then ironically become the most peaceable nation amidst the devastation. Two card flips were triggered, one for CCCP and then for USA, both came up clean and ended the game in favour of the Soviets but the very next (and penultimate) card would have pushed the button. The tension was exquisite. Super stoked to get this played with three opponents. I looked at the TTS mod but it appears to be broken, which is a shame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2021 19:41 #327827 by Gary Sax
Sounds like some Distant Plains or the Vietnam COIN vibes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
10 Nov 2021 02:29 #327835 by mezike
Absolutely, the difference though is that you are very much a team in this one and have to consciously turn on your teammate. Whereas in COIN you are all distinct factions that happen to overlap and the actions that benefit you just happen to step on your supposed allies toes. WSDV is more straightforward to play as well, no ridiculous ‘menu’ of actions.

More
10 Nov 2021 04:15 #327836 by Dr. Mabuse
I would equate this more to Angola over COIN. Two-team conflict games are super rare.

Mezike I've been playing WSDV through BGC async and so far so good, if you want to give it a go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
10 Nov 2021 05:06 #327837 by mezike

Dr. Mabuse wrote: I would equate this more to Angola over COIN. Two-team conflict games are super rare.

Mezike I've been playing WSDV through BGC async and so far so good, if you want to give it a go.

One Million percent yes please ☺️

Really digging this one and keen for more, plus I’m cooking up an RL 2+2 game with Sornars and a couple of buddies so more play will ensure we can have a smoother time of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, sornars

More
10 Nov 2021 05:15 #327838 by Dr. Mabuse
okay I set up a WDSV chat on the discord channel and Ill set up a game before heading to bed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.668 seconds