October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Origins Online 2020

More
04 Jun 2020 19:20 #310935 by hotseatgames
Origins Online is happening June 19 - June 21. I can't tell you if it will good or interesting... but I can tell you that I am giving a seminar on Twitch for it on June 20 at 10 am. If you want to learn how to prototype cards using Google Sheets and nanDECK, stop on by! I'll also be showing how to import the cards into Tabletop Simulator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Gregarius, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2020 22:17 #311040 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Origins Online 2020
Apparently a lot of contributors had asked GAMA to put out a public statement regarding Black Lives Matter. GAMA apparently refused.... tons of people, myself included, have backed out of the event.

I guess I'll have to just write an article for the site, detailing what I was going to teach in my seminar.

For posterity, here is the email I sent to GAMA:

Hello,
I was supposed to present an educational seminar on June 20 at 10 AM. It has come to my understanding that GAMA has chosen to stay silent on human rights issues that are important to me. I, as have many others, am withdrawing from the convention.

Thank you,
Mark Thomas

P.S.
Black Lives Matter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jay718, Frohike

More
11 Jun 2020 09:37 - 11 Jun 2020 11:13 #311053 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Origins Online 2020
GAMA has canceled Origins Online. I think their initial refusal to make a statement speaks louder than this to little to late statement just released.

ETA: At this time I have not been able to confirm that this is GAMA's official statement. It does not appear publicly on their website, or on the Origins Online Website. However, it did come to me from a trustworthy source.

ETA: This statement is from GAMA's Facebook Page

To Our Community:

The Game Manufacturers Association believes that Black Lives Matter. We unequivocally condemn racism and violence against people of color. We have been too late in making that statement with force, and we apologize. The injustices of today demand that every person of good conscience make clear where they stand and we wish we had been more proactive, more strident, and more effective with our voices. Innocent people of color are being killed in the streets of the communities where we live, and it is not acceptable.

We cannot responsibly hold our virtual convention, Origins Online, in this setting. Even if it were possible to hold it, it would not be appropriate to do so. So, we are announcing here that Origins Online is cancelled.

The Board must voice its loud thanks to those who worked enormously hard to assemble Origins Online in a completely inadequate window of time. GAMA’s staff worked miracles, publishers hurried to learn new tools, fans took a chance to buy tickets. We could not be more grateful for their efforts, which we see and will not forget.

Every exhibitor, sponsor, and advertiser will be offered a full refund, as will every gamer who purchased a badge.

GAMA will match, dollar for dollar, any exhibitor, sponsor, advertiser, or vendor who donates the amounts they are owed for Origins Online to one of the organizations listed below. It is difficult to predict how many will take this opportunity, but the potential exists for the matched amounts to exceed $100,000, which we wholeheartedly hope will happen. The Board sees this as the next step, but not the final step, in the Association’s journey.

* Black Lives Matter Global Network

* Black Trans Advocacy Coalition

* Columbus Freedom Fund

* The Community Justice Exchange

* The Innocence Project

* NAACP

Further details will be sent to these companies by email in the coming days.

The Board thanks every person whose voice reached us in recent hours and days. It is hard, we know, for those voices to speak when they have so much at stake. We are grateful for your persistence, eloquence, and will.

GAMA’s vision statement is “A game on every table, a table for every gamer.” We commit to working toward that day.

In service,

GAMA’s Board of Directors, and Retail Division Board

Last edit: 11 Jun 2020 11:13 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds