October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
10 Aug 2014 05:27 #184465 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Hearthstone Questions
This is one of those things that I ended up playing intensely for about a week and then never played again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2014 10:37 #184471 by Black Barney
same, except it was a month for me. I can't find a reason to play this over Magic. Once I ran out of gold to play drafts, that was that for me. You can't even construct a good enough deck until you get really far. The new single-player stuff feels like a big money grab, it's sort of fun but those opponents are super tough with just the cards we have so far. Crafting is a pretty big rip off unless a card has been tweaked.

I just prefer Magic 2015 by a really big margin.

More
10 Aug 2014 12:18 - 10 Aug 2014 12:18 #184473 by luckyb0y
Replied by luckyb0y on topic Re: Hearthstone Questions
Never spent any money on it and only crafted one common card and I only have a few legendaries (most not considered that good) but I regularly get to lower teen rank each season and I've beaten all heroic bosses from first 2 quarters. Still haven't played the 3rd quarter, maybe later today. Heroic bosses are more puzzles than opponents. They are so dumb you just need to find a weakness and exploit it. They never adapt their strategy and often ignore your minions, use their ability whether it actually harms them or not and walk right into your traps all the time. As for Hearthstone vs Magic I guess the appeal for me is I can actually comprehend the card library and know when to expect cards getting played. Another thing is Hearthstone is super quick, 10-15 minutes tops for really drawn out games, most of the time it doesn’t exceed 5. Also the fact that audio-visual side is really polished doesn’t hurt either.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2014 12:18 by luckyb0y.

More
22 Oct 2014 13:17 #189096 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Hearthstone Questions
Totally digging this game. jeblucas#1574* on there, for friendinating. I got the hookup from a friend and got Naxx for free. But even without that, I love the model. The free client is worth getting, and comes with enough cards to goof around and play. It also cleans up the trading of MODO, which is a fucking shitpile of bots and nonsense; and runs on Macs and iPads.

It plays faster than Magic (Attacker chooses target is way more aggressive). Arena is really fun once you have a certain comfort level, and the anxiety for trying to get back to even is awesome (~6 wins gets you back to even).

If folks are still playing, help me figure how to beat some of these Heroic motherfuckers. I am like 1 for 20.

*Does the #1574 matter? Is that a secret pin and now you can all impersonate me and grind my cards to dust?

More
22 Oct 2014 13:43 #189098 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: Hearthstone Questions
I think the pin DOES matter. I haven't been on in a long time because I've been working 60+ hour weeks. At least I'm getting paid! I'll jump on after work this evening about 8:30pm est. On lunch right now.

More
22 Oct 2014 14:13 #189101 by stormseeker75
Get on that, noob.

Should I play this nonsense with you guys?

More
22 Oct 2014 15:30 #189110 by Jackwraith
The pin matters for BNet identification. They just assigned one to everyone to differentiate the (literally) millions of user names.

I'm usually on fairly often (Jackwraith #1812) playing HS or D3 or WoW, all of which can be seen through the BNet interface. Just ping me if you want to try a few games (provided I'm not in the middle of a raid or a rift...)

And, yes, SS. You should play.

More
15 Dec 2014 22:47 - 15 Dec 2014 22:51 #192828 by jeb
HEARTHSTONE is coming out on Android soon, so I figured it's time to necro this. Also, Not Sure and JackWraith and I have hung out and spectated a little here and there. I saw Not Sure running a "Freeze Mage" deck and noted its differences from mine. Here's my list:

The odd thing about my list is that it's not running some Freeze Mage standards like Ice Barrier and Ice Block--it's not running any Secrets at all, so things like Mad Scientist don't make it in. Instead, I really focus on freezing/harassing the enemy minions and throwing burn at the face.

The ground gets tied up with Taunt minions like Mirror Image tokens, Sludge Belcher, and Annoy-o-Tron and soft taunts like Acolyte of Pain and Sorcerer's Apprentice. I use Cone of Cold, Frost Nova to tie things up, and make them play more guys, and then nuke them all with board sweeps like Flamestrike and Explosive Sheep.

I don't have a big collection, but I would include Blizzard if I had it. Not to mention Archmage Antonidas and Alextrasza while we're dreaming. Even as is, this deck is solid enough to have good games against most decks, and just chews up newer players with value plays.

I haven't had enough time with GvG to say what other changes I am considering. I think Flamecannon will go out and a Kobold Geomancer will go into that slot until I rustle up another Sheep or Annoy-o-tron (right now it's Unstable Portal for fun times).
Last edit: 15 Dec 2014 22:51 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
16 Dec 2014 01:07 #192830 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Hearthstone Questions
I'm NotSure #1314 there.

That wasn't really a Freeze deck, those were just the cards in my hand at the time.

That deck is called "Spellburner", and I use it whenever I have the "Cast 40 spells" quest, because it finishes that quest in about 3 games, win or lose. The whole purpose is to cast a lot of spells, and stay alive long enough to do that. Winning is actually incidental to the deck. I mostly just laugh when I do win with it, because it's an oddball.

Almost everything in the deck is a spell, card draw, or +spell damage. Looking at the actual list, I should probably drop some stuff, but I threw it together really fast one day out of stuff I had.

The Ethereal Arcanist is pretty lonely with only the two Duplicate secrets, he's probably a good candidate to drop. Baron Geddon is just such a ridiculous card that I put him in nearly all my decks.

Mirror Image is great because it's two taunts (and works well with Duplicate), and it's a spell.

More
16 Dec 2014 09:35 - 16 Dec 2014 09:46 #192847 by engelstein
I'm GameTekGuy #1675 (which I mentioned a few pages back, but I like to save you guys some time)

I mainly play Warlock, but I've got decent Hunter and Warrior decks as well.

BTW we interviewed the lead designer on Hearthstone, Ben Brode, on the latest Ludology podcast. It was a pretty interesting conversation and I'm glad we were able to have him.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 09:46 by engelstein.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
16 Dec 2014 20:22 #192897 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Hearthstone Questions
I have a Warlock deck I like now, which probably needs to be adjusted for GvG.

I'll post it after I do some tweaks. By far my best deck has to the be my Shaman, where the RNG gods gifted me with the Shaman Legendary windfury/charge/divine shield/taunt guy and two Earth Elementals (epics). Also, one of the GvG decks I opened last night gave me the other Shaman Legendary, who refills your hand with Murlocs. I may have to try to fit him in as well.

I also play a half-decent Hunter. Oddly enough, I almost never play Warrior. Don't even have a deck for it.

More
16 Dec 2014 21:15 #192899 by jeb
Warrior is blast, as you well know. That's my jam. I need to tweak that one some more (only GvG in it is Shieldmaiden), but it's a good time. Not Sure has seen it work when it starts pooping out Stalagg/Feugen on the back of Kel'Thuzad and going crazy.

More
16 Dec 2014 21:41 #192900 by engelstein
My son Brian swears by Shieldmaidens. I got one of those whirly blade cards, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Seems like a cool card in the right circumstance.

More
09 Jan 2015 15:08 - 09 Jan 2015 16:00 #194671 by jeb
Going to shoot for 15+ this season. But I don't want build and play FaceHunter to get there. Trying to keep it fun! hence: Reindeer Games. Built on the premise of abusing Reincarnate.

Reincarnate kills a minion (yours or theirs) and then returns it to life with full health. It doesn't re-trigger Battlecry, but it does trigger Deathrattle. So, for deathrattle I have:
  • Nerubian Eggs (Activated by Reincarnate, Dire Wolf Alpha, Rockbiter Weapon, Flametongue Totem)
  • Haunted Creeper
  • Loot Hoarder
  • Piloted Shredder
  • Sludge Belcher

With Kel'Thuzad and Baron Rivendare to dial up the good times.

Lightning Bolt, Earth Shock, Rockbiter, Hex, Fire Elemental for direct removal (with Azure Drake and Hero Power (sometimes) for Spell Damage buff), Lightning Storm for area of effect removal, again, buffed as able. Loatheb is in there because he rocks and sometimes I need them to leave me alone. Ancestral Spirit (give a minion Deathrattle: Resummon this minion) for theme reasons.

Crazy shit can happen if I Reincarnate Kel'Thuzad. The new one returns the killed one and two Kel'Thuzads are really brutal endgame. Cairne would be great, but I don't have Cairne. I don't like the Loot Horder, Haunted Creeper, or Dire Wolf Alpha, but I am not sure what would be better. I might go back to a build a dabbled with that had Explosive Sheep. It was funnier, but they are hard to control.

//Already edited it

-1 Dire Wolf Alpha
-1 Loot Hoarder
+2 Clockwork Gnomes

Have a good 1-drop now, with Deathrattle, and 3/7 of the Spare Parts they can drop are Nerubian Activators (the + 1 Attack, Reverse A/H, and Taunt ones). I just played a Handlock that conceded with Sea Giant and Doom Guard to my double-Kel'Thuzads.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2015 16:00 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, engelstein

More
13 Jan 2015 00:43 #194948 by jeb
Played a Druid, and she actually beat my first two Kel'Thuzads! One was Earth Shocked into silence and the other was Hex'd. But then this happened.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds