October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
22 Dec 2019 23:55 #305440 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands

Some barriers left but otherwise done! Fun project but I still have an immense amount to learn. Came out better than I hoped.

Now we have to build our own set for the two of us. Any of you guys do themed car stables?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Brewmiester, Disgustipater

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2020 21:56 #305712 by Gary Sax
Base set of Citadel paints came in with some other odds and ends, my spouse has been collecting cars and trucks slowly as well. Time to build our set now that we sent out a set for my nephew. Need to get another set of templates and dice, some terrain, etc. ;)

More
18 Jan 2020 16:03 #306369 by Gary Sax
Have just about everything for my own set except terrain now, we took a real breather after the rush to finish the set for my nephew. Need to do a bunch of painting and get some terrain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
04 Feb 2020 21:08 #306847 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I bought some hot wheels and some paints (the citadel ones mentioned previously in this thread specifically) and some assorted bits to glue on. I've never painted a mini. I'm excited to fuck up these cars!

Anyone know of any printable terrain bits I could cut out and laminate? Like overhead rocks and barriers and stuff. I don't have any particular interest in 3d miniatures terrain, so I figure that would be a good playable way to do it. I'm not sure if that's a thing that exists though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Feb 2020 21:31 #306848 by Gary Sax
^dude, it's going to be fun. We've been working slowly now that we got the gift sent but it has been a great stress relief because who cares about a 1 dollar hotwheel besides some pride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
08 Feb 2020 10:13 #306935 by Ah_Pook
Whos got two thumbs and is excited? This guy.

Anyone have any thoughts on printable paper terrain? I'm thinking I'll just have to make it myself, which is fine, but downloading and printing someone else's would be way easier. My googling hasn't turned anything up though.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
08 Feb 2020 10:56 #306937 by Gary Sax
That fast and furious set of cars is perfect for gaslands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Ah_Pook

More
08 Feb 2020 11:42 #306938 by ChristopherMD
I bought that F&F set too. I'm behind in my painting so haven't started on Gaslands stuff yet. Am interested to see what others do/did with those particular cars...

More
08 Feb 2020 22:29 - 08 Feb 2020 22:32 #306948 by Disgustipater
I ran a 3-player, 50 Can Death Race game today. We each had three vehicles. I was playing Maxxine with a performance car, car, and buggy. Player 2 was Idris with a drag racer and two performance cars. Player 3 was the Highway Patrol with three buggies with turreted machine guns.
Here’s the table setup:

The route is like a clover leaf, maybe a little convoluted, but I thought it would work out great with a lot of criss-crossing.
Right out of the gate we were pretty clumped together, as expected, though not too many collisions. The drag racer was obviously out front.

By Gear Phase 3, the drag racer passed the first gate with the Highway Patrol not far behind. Sadly, the HP buggy blasted my performance car as soon as his weapons went hot, causing me to slide into a giant tire and wreck.

A few phases later everyone got back on track and was barreling down to Gate 1.

The Highway Patrol had a vendetta against me and managed to take out my lead car, leaving me with only my buggy. The cops strategically avoided shooting or touching the drag racer that was a hair’s breadth from exploding near both his buggies.

My buggy ended up getting sandwiched between two Idris cars and disappeared in a fine metal mist. I was left with no cars in the middle of Gear Phase 1, meaning I would have to wait an entire round to respawn. :(

The drag racer decided to kamikaze into an HP buggy to blow it up from its own jet-powered explosion.
Gear Phase 1 of Round 3 and only 3 cars of the original 9 were left on the board.

Unfortunately, we had to call the game at this point as the other two players had to leave. We had been playing for 3-4 hours.

Based on the time it took us, I think in the future I will remove the 3rd gate to shorten the race a bit, and probably limit lists to 2 cars per person. Either that or do fewer than 50 cans. Still had a blast though. Now I need to paint my cars.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2020 22:32 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, quozl, drewcula

More
10 Feb 2020 17:37 #306996 by Ah_Pook
First attempt aka put way too much rust on a car! Fun stuff :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
10 Feb 2020 19:16 #306999 by Gary Sax
Looks great!

More
20 Mar 2020 22:34 #308393 by Gary Sax
Spouse bought foam cutting tools, foam, flock, and is making a board. This game even with barely playing it has brought us a ton of pleasure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
21 Mar 2020 22:13 #308418 by Disgustipater
Got a bunch of sentry turrets printed up:

So I set up a 4-player Arena of Death scenario (last man standing) for today. Of course we rolled an 11 for how many turrets get deployed. My two trucks got chewed up by those stupid things in the first few phases so I was pretty softened up when I got near the War Rig. But I needed to get close to unleash an 11D6 barrage of rockets, grenades, and molotovs.

I think I rolled 3 hits and and he evaded one of them. Terrible. Then he plowed into my lead truck and completely destroyed it. I was able to get my other truck close enough to shoot the same barrage and did some nice damage, including some hazard tokens from the grenades to make the War Rig wipe out. Instead of flipping, he jack-knifed and I managed to slam him into the cargo container for a bunch of damage.

Meanwhile, one other player running buggies was fucking off on his side of the board doing nothing.

The War Rig jack-knife positioned him poorly and he crashed into another heavy obstacle and took more damage, leaving him with only 4 hull left. On my turn I debated shooting him or the turret in front of me, and I stupidly chose the turret, in an attempt to avoid getting shot at the next time I moved. I didn't even destroy it.

A huge mistake as the War Rig then dumped a ton of mines and napalm on me to wreck me and put me out of the game.

This left the 3 buggies, a regenerating heavy truck, and the barely hanging on War Rig.

The heavy truck shot at the War Rig to blow it up. The heavy truck had a perk (8 points!) that negates any damage unless you do 3 or more. The basic machine gun on the buggies was going to have to roll a 6 plus another hit to do any damage, then the truck could heal a hull point every activation on top of that. After a few rounds of the buggies not being able to do anything, they capitulated.

I really like my team builds, but I usually end up doing poorly. I'm not sure if I am being too aggressive, or what. More research is needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983, drewcula

More
22 Mar 2020 21:57 - 22 Mar 2020 21:58 #308457 by Gary Sax
^great post

My spouse has been making terrain:

The weird gold and blue honda is mine and the beat up dune buggy is her paintjob. Terrain is all her.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 21:58 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Mar 2020 23:36 #308461 by Disgustipater
Everything looks great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds