October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

We need to talk about Into the Breach

More
04 Sep 2018 11:40 #281067 by Black Barney
One of my favourite achievements in Dead Space 2 was getting through the game on hard using only 3 saves. You'd have to go hours without a save and not die. Basically you had to plan to save before the 3 hardest parts of the game. Awesome achievement :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2018 11:56 #281068 by Chaz
Yeah, what I didn't realize early on, because they don't tell you, is that if a mech get killed on a mission, but you win, the pilot dies, but you get to keep using the mech in subsequent missions. So far, I mostly haven't had good pilots with abilities, so I treat them as expendable, since I'm only getting to keep one after the run anyway.

More
21 Oct 2018 10:12 - 21 Oct 2018 10:15 #283682 by Jexik
I've still been playing this, trying to get 4-Island Hard victories with each squad. Certain pilots really open up new strategies. If you haven't unlocked all or most of them, this might be a spoiler.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 21 Oct 2018 10:15 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Oct 2018 12:41 #283687 by Gary Sax
We've been talking about game difficulty in the other thread, this game has pitch perfect difficulty. I never felt any need to play on hard but I'm glad it's there and normal was tuned just right.

More
21 Oct 2018 13:52 - 21 Oct 2018 13:53 #283690 by Jexik
Yeah, I agree, but there are certain missions that have 'gotcha' moments that you learn from on subsequent plays. I also try to pick island order and missions based on my team- things you don't have to do as much on Normal. Easy seems a bit too much so, but I could see playing it if you're younger or less used to this kind of game. This last playthrough it took me a long time to actually win with the rift walkers, so I could see going on Easy just to smooth out the learning curve on your first few games.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2018 13:53 by Jexik.

More
02 Nov 2018 07:56 #285122 by Grudunza
Picked this up on Gary’s recommendation, and I’m loving it. Took some getting used to the Switch controls (probably should have just bought it on Steam, but I’ve really wanted a meaty turn-based game like this for the Switch), and I didn’t realize until several plays through that I’d been playing on Hard. Yikes. But now Normal feels perfect, so that’s good.

Was skeptical at first, because it almost seemed like one of those Rube Goldberg or Hitman Go type of games, where you have to figure out an exact way to move your guy or arrange your contraptions. And I suppose it is that to some extent, but it also has a great system built around it. I like how it gives you various goals other than just surviving, and how that works so well with the big picture... I might have barely survived and lost a few power, which is going to make subsequent battles harder, but I gained some important stuff from the goals or from saving the pod. Or conversely, maybe I didn’t take any power damage, but also didn’t finish the goals to get some nice upgrades with.

I also love some of the combos you can pull off, where one mech pushes a bug to a place where the other can finish it off. It gives me that solo co-op feel, where character abilities can interact well, like in Pandemic or Gloomhaven.

Just saved my first island. I looked in the upgrade screen for your mech team, and apparently I’m like a hundredth of the way into what can be unlocked. Not sure I’ll have the patience or interest for all that, but it’s tickling my game obsession nerve hard at the moment. Thanks, Gary! (I mean that both sincerely and sarcastically.)

More
02 Nov 2018 18:32 #285170 by Gary Sax
No problem! I was obsessed with this one earlier this year. I think ultimately I like my strategy tactics a tad more unpredictable/systems driven but this is absolutely up there in games of the year.

Yeah, you've barely touched the surface. Wait till you try one of the iirc 12 other squads that each have a completely different, sometimes *very* subtle, gimmick. When I "got" the flame team it was like a light flicking on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
13 Nov 2018 09:55 #286057 by Jexik
I've done it. 4-island hard with each squad. I've got a long article percolating in my head, although I might have missed the window where the general public will care. I'd discuss pilots, enemies, squads, how to pick your island, which upgrades to look out for, etc.

More
03 Dec 2018 17:09 - 03 Dec 2018 17:09 #287359 by Jexik
Aaaand now I've gone and beaten 2/3/4 on hard with every squad. Definitely got my $15 worth. I've got a lot of thoughts about what makes it special, at least to me. I've even contemplated speedrunning it to 100% some time. There's only one guy who tried really and it took him around 6 hours according to what I could google search. Playing on EASY feels weird though, and it makes some of the achievements hard (like having 5 guys on fire at the same time).
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 17:09 by Jexik.

More
03 Dec 2018 18:43 #287368 by Gary Sax
The fascinating thing to me, which suggests just how good the designers are, is comparing and contrasting what makes FTL and Into the Breach so awesome. Incredible design flexibility.

More
03 Dec 2018 22:59 - 03 Dec 2018 23:47 #287384 by Jexik
Aside from the general idea of a randomly generated game with relatively short 'runs,' the 32-bit pixelated aesthetic, and the soundtracks, there isn't a whole lot in common. I'm interested to see what they do next, but it probably won't come out until 2022 or something.

Into the Breach feels a lot more like Band of Bugs than anything, this old Xbox Live Arcade game, which was also $15 last I checked. Not nearly the same replayability though. That game featured a lot of pushing bugs into holes and water, as well as ice and fire moths that could change terrain types with their spells. FTL is Star Trek: the Game... which I guess is like saying that ItB is Pacific Rim, which is weird because Pacific Rim isn't nearly as thinky. I want to say thought-provoking, but that has the wrong connotations.

One of my weirdest learn-from-my-deja-vu moments with the game was when I destroyed a mountain in a train mission on the penultimate round to give an enemy a way to escape and target me instead of letting the train crash into it. That hope was the only way for me to complete the mission, and was the culmination of the thematic impact of time travel and multiple timelines, and learning from your mistakes. "I've been here before, this is the only way to save this train." Because I had totally seen one crash before when it's set up in a canyon like that. The train is probably the most iconic mission, and I think it can occur on any island.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 23:47 by Jexik.

More
09 Mar 2019 12:44 #293579 by Jexik
Been playing this again a bit, played through a new account on only hard to get to 100%, and then eventually got a perfect score run with no civilian casualties (although I did let a train eat it on one island to protect my score). I used the cryo mech with Mafan (Zoltan guy who gets a shield every round), Aegis mech from that same ice squad, and the combat (punching) mech from the rift walkers. At game end the Cryo mech also had the missile barrage that hits everything for 2 damage once per mission, the punchy guy had Abe for armor and the jump ability from that leap mech in the hazardous squad, and the aegis mech could also push rocks and could walk through people thanks to Henry Kwan. This squad had tremendous mobility and action economy; I managed the last battle without any grid damage or even damage to the bomb.

More
16 Jan 2020 16:15 - 16 Jan 2020 16:16 #306286 by Gary Sax
I am back IN IT with this game really hard. I've been working on my game with the laser team, a team I've never been very good at. I've been trying to get better.

Someone online made the suggestion of putting somebody else in the science vessel with the shield shot, which I find a super underwhelming mech. I tried the guy they suggested, with the quad repair/push and it's been a great suggestion. Most people recommend the armor dude for the crash tank, which is also super important. That tank is just a complete POS with only 3 health to start, it's very frustrating to make your first upgrade no matter what go into that thing to make it usable.

I am such a mark for this game. If they made models or toys of the mechs I would buy them in a heartbeat, I love the design aesthetic.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2020 16:16 by Gary Sax.

More
17 Jan 2020 00:11 - 17 Jan 2020 00:41 #306302 by Jexik
Yeah, Abe (armor guy) in crash mech is huge. He's also great on the self-destructive squad.

Warning: Spoiler!

I became such a perfectionist with this game though. Eventually I was making random teams and trying to go 30k on hard with them... and being upset at anything less, so it has been hard for me to get back into. I certainly got my worth out of it though.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 00:41 by Jexik.

More
19 Jan 2020 22:49 #306384 by mtagge
My problem with the game stems more from a personal flaw than an issue with the game. I can swing the concentration to get a perfect first island with whatever team I try, but it takes a bit out of me. I can't maintain focus and invariably fuck up on the first map of my second island and give up dejected.

I guess that is the difference with Slay the Spire. In StS you start off and build as best you can to a strategy. In ItB it takes more and more concentration and the combinations get more and more complicated just when my mental energy drains.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds