October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Bloodborne

More
21 Apr 2015 20:56 #201259 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Bloodborne
Agree with your statement above. The game is hard. That said, it isn't OMFG IMPOSSIBLE which is what I think Barnes is reacting to.

Logarius is a great example of a Bloodborne boss that's harder than Rom, but a whole hell of a lot more fun and doesn't feel cheap. I keep dying but the fight feels precise and measured. Right now my character is sitting in front of the boss exit hoping for some help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2015 11:53 #201354 by Pug
Replied by Pug on topic Bloodborne
I just got to Logarius... wow, am I ever dying a lot. I keep getting two shotted. I feel like I might be under leveled for this fight... might need to call for help as well on this one. I really like the castle though, very cool atmosphere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Apr 2015 11:59 #201356 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I ended up co-oping Logarius. I think I could have beaten him with like 15 more tries, I got him down to about 1/3 once, but I decided to finish him off. Good fair fight though.

For me the thing is that he has SO MUCH health. That requires you to stay perfect for a long time with your timing.

More
23 Apr 2015 12:50 #201364 by Pug
That's my issue with him... his damn health. He just soaks up hits like a sponge. I'm gonna give him a few more tries before trying co-op, but some help would be nice, that's for sure.

In other news, I got invaded for the first time today. I died, but I almost killed the invader a few times (he healed). He hit me twice, and he had poison, so I died fast. Ah well, next time!

More
23 Apr 2015 15:02 #201375 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I got destroyed the first time I got invaded in Nightmare Frontier.

More
23 Apr 2015 15:17 #201376 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Bloodborne
Martyr Logarius can fuck right off. I've tried to beat him like six times, three times with help, and I've not been able to get down below half. There's something to do with that sword that you can target and hit. I don't think he's a mandatory boss, but still...he's got to go down.

I took out the Shadows of Yarnham this morning with help...we just wrecked them, I don't think I even used a single blood vial. Now I'm into the Byrgenwerth area, which can also fuck right off. Those Mi-Go motherfuckers...yep, can fuck right off. Frenzy is pretty annoying, I've got a really high resistance to it though (using that gravewatcher outfit or whatever it is).

I spent way too much time trying to kill Iosefka...for some reason I really struggled against her, mainly due to the area I think. But she kept healing, so I blew all of my numbing mist and finally downed her. But I only got like 3000 blood and some shitty rune that gives you two bullets when you visceral. THANKS. It was cool to see what she was up to behind the door though.

There's still a big area of Cainhurst I haven't gone to yet (I think) because of those flea monsters (fuck right off)...I got the knight garb and just had to wear it for a while even though it wasn't that great compared to what I had.

The difficulty...I've been thinking about this a lot, about what makes a game "hard"...I do absolutely think that the popular reaction to these games that slate them as being some kind of ultra-hard, almost impossible games is completely false. These games are 100% for sure CHALLENGING and there are things like the Martyr Logarius fight that are extremely hard. But there again, that difficulty slips away when you either a) best it with the skills you've developed through gameplay b) discover a "trick" built into the game like with the music box and Father Gascoigne or c) cheese your way through a tough spot. Usually, you have some kind of epiphany moment and you realize that...oh shit, I just erased half that thing's life bar. And suddenly, it's not as hard as it seemed.

These games invite you to rise to their challenge, and if you pay attention you'll get the tools you need to make it not as hard as it seems at first.

More
24 Apr 2015 11:36 #201429 by Michael Barnes
Man, yall had me so worried about Rom and that was by far the easiest boss of the game so far. No harder than fighting one of those pigs!

More
24 Apr 2015 11:47 #201431 by Gary Sax
It is funny how boss difficulty is entirely person dependent.

More
24 Apr 2015 14:43 #201441 by Michael Barnes
Totally! I think I had the hardest time with Father Gascoigne! The Shadows were tough, but with help they just folded. It all comes around to your gear, your skill, your personal tactics, any exploits you can figure out...

I just ran up on Rom and used the Tonitrus charged up on him. I have two gems in it that add to its bolt attack, so it's ridiculous. I just used the exact same tactics as the pig- keep to the sides. I completely ignored the spiders, I could tell that was a distraction. He did the thing where he teleported away and started shooting the crystals so I just saw where he was and rolled, rolled, rolled all the way to him. It literally took like three minutes and I think I just used one vial and that was just because he was down to like 20 HP and I did that thing I know y'all do to where you start getting really high strung and nervous at the end of a fight.

So yeah, now it looks like Yharnam's gone to shit what with all of the giant monsters hanging out. New area is really tough. I did my blue elixir scouting, but I wound up getting killed by one of those brick trolls.

More
24 Apr 2015 14:51 #201442 by Gary Sax
Rom is super weak vs. bolt, so that is probably a significant assist there.

I'm still rolling reiterpalasch and whip. I think they're both +7, I haven't decided which I'm going to go with to +9 yet.

More
24 Apr 2015 16:44 #201454 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Bloodborne
So I accidentally attacked the female hunter you run into shortly after the first boss and apparently now she's hostile forever and ever. How much did I screw myself over? I'm only like 90 minutes in, should I start over?

More
24 Apr 2015 17:21 #201458 by Gary Sax
You didn't really screw yourself over. Avoid her until you're tougher and then you can kill her. She is one of the nicer npcs.

More
25 Apr 2015 01:33 #201479 by Gary Sax
Played a bunch this evening. Finished Eileen the crow's quest by cheesing a hunter, then finally got through the post Rom unseen village. I hated it, respawning enemies are lame as fuck. Do not sleep on the blood gem that gives you +17% physical attack.

Proving what Barnes was talking about, I then faced off against the one reborn and beat him in one try solo. Difficulty is contextual.

More
25 Apr 2015 07:46 #201481 by Pug
Absolutely true. The One Reborn really isn't that difficult, BUT, I let my wits get to me, and kept making stupid mistakes that I know I shouldn't have made at all. That's what makes the game so awesome. I haven't touched the game since Martyr, and I'm afraid to go fight him again... but maybe today, maybe....

More
26 Apr 2015 17:45 #201511 by Gary Sax
More Bloodborne!

Two big things---first, got the Blades of Mercy. If you have a dex character, get these! They're great! They have this awesome combo of R2 initiate where you jump in and slash with both blades, a whole bunch of R1 slashes which come faster and faster the more you do, then an L2 disengage which slashes while you jump backwards and out of reach. Fucking awesome ninja shit. I still don't see them being all that useful for bosses. I tried co-oping Logarius and another boss to see, helping others, and I found the blades are fantastic but too weak. Most bosses in Bloodborne will get slashed a few times but not stun locked, so they'll interrupt your lightning strikes with a big smack to the face or whatever their close range batterer is.

Secondly, I got to an area called the upper cathedral ward. I was pretty disappointed by the nightmare frontier, Rom, and then by the Yhargul or whatever with respawning enemies... upper cathedral ward is a total return to form. Awesome atmosphere and enemies... the foley in this game is amazing, the sounds of those squid fuckers walking is terrifying. I think this game is at its strongest when it doesn't go way off the rails and introduce FULL CTHULU MONSTER EVIL but pulls back into more humanscaped worlds with scary shit and Cthulu stuff around the edges. It helps this area does not have Frenzy stuff or poison lakes, which are just weak, boring ways to challenge IMHO.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds