October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2643 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Bloodborne

More
14 Apr 2015 11:35 #200775 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Bloodborne
My beef is not the difficulty necessarily---I lost more often to other bosses, I'm not at an exceptional number of tries yet. It's just that boss is so weak sauce strategywise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2015 12:53 #200780 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Bloodborne
I actually am on kind of a hiatus...I had to pull back a bit, this game is exhausting.

So I beat Vicar Amelia, no problem...then I spent a bunch of time grinding around the Hemwick area. I'm actually a touch over-leveled, I think, because the villagers or whatever go down with like two hits. They'll still surprise me from time to time- that thing where an a enemy does A four out of five times but then suddenly does B or C the fifth time- so there have been a few deaths but mostly I've just looped through the woods, up around through that stable, up to the roofs, back through the woods and back to the lantern.

Still have no idea what to do about that invisible monster.

The Chalice dungeons, Sax, you are absolutely right. Without the level design and meticulously crafted environments, you're left with the combat. Which is good, but I think these show that the game is definitely not at its best in procedurally generated, random dungeons with boring enemies (skeletons, I mean come on). That said, I think they're definitely better for 15-20 minute sessions than the main game is, so that gives them some value. It's not like they suck or anything, it's still awesome. But I don't like how they just tend to bleed your resources away with little return on investment. You don't even really get much blood down there.

I'll probably dive back in tonight or tomorrow.

More
14 Apr 2015 14:40 #200781 by Pug
Replied by Pug on topic Bloodborne
The Chalice Dungeons are interesting, I've played through a few of them, and they do get tougher, as do the enemies within (did you guys catch the awesome rolling ogre yet?), but the level design leaves something to be desired. Still I think it's a nice little addition.

Gonna try The One Reborn later tonight...

More
15 Apr 2015 13:43 #200815 by Gary Sax
I beat Rom finally. Stupid fight, no real secret to it besides stick and move and use bolt or fire paper.

Looks like they're doubling down on fetus and miscarriage imagery from here on out.

More
20 Apr 2015 17:30 #201136 by Michael Barnes
Time to jot down the results of my recent ramblings...

- Been spending a lot of time in the Forbidden Woods. What a cool area, the coins are actually pretty useful here. The pile-o-snakes are fun, and not too taxes. The RE4 dudes are really scary at first, but especially with the cane they're not too hard to dispatch. The first time I saw one of the big pile-o-snakes, I was like "no way" and went back the way I came. What the hell is up with those weird alien dudes way down in the bottom? The runners are easy but then those hairy ones shoot that laser.

- Cannon guy. Fuck him. I died more than I should have in that area. Very well designed segment.

- I think I've done it all in Hemwick. The witch was kind of dumb, mainly because that is just an old timey NES-era "which one is the real one" boss fight. Which was kind of a fun throwback, but compared to some of From's better bosses- definitely not as impressed. Even though this is their best game hands down, I have to say that some of the bosses have not been as incredible as those in Demon's/Dark Souls. They're not bad at all, but not really memorable like that big butterfly was.

- I _still_ have trouble with the executioners. I just run from them.

- I think I've done it all in and around the Gaol too. Snatchers don't even bother me anymore- they get a little scary when they rage up, but viscerals make quick work of them. I found Darkbeast Paarl by accident and was like "OH GOD NO" until I realized that I just had to stay right under him and flail around with the cane in the long form, pressing triangle occasionally. Once he lost his charge, I just pummeled him. Yet another boss that is much scarier to confront than to beat.

- That said, the Shadows of Yarnham down in the woods are kicking my ass. Don't have a good strategy for that fight yet.

- I finally found a weapon to use other than the cane...the Tonsiris or whatever. It's like a big electric lollipop. With high skill, strength and arcane and the right upgrades, it kind of does an embarrassing amount of damage. And it's really quick. but it's also short range.

- I have yet to find armor better than the black church garb, so I'm still wearing it. Wanted to wear that cool Yar'ghul stuff, but it just wasn't as good.

- Did the Tonsil stone thing and wound up in the school or university or whatever. WTF, those graduates...the mortarboards are a nice touch.

- Nightmare Frontier is interesting...I beat like four people to death there with the shock-lolly, then just kind of ran around. Some monster snails attacked me in a poison lake, and then I got squished by a rock thrown by a tree dude. Will explore more tonight.

- I still have no idea who this Rom the Spider is or where he is, you guys are going a different route through the game I suppose. I haven't seen The One Reborn, either.

Are we at a month yet? And I still am finding this game absolutely fascinating, always something new to discover. It's amazing how many times you run by something and then on the tenth time or whatever you realize that there's a pathway or an item or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Apr 2015 01:57 - 21 Apr 2015 02:01 #201151 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I've found the "big" bosses to be the easiest ones, at least if you have the whip. Switch to the whip, get around their feet, and use R2 whip. Will generally hit SOMETHING vulnerable, their head, whatever.

So you're almost to Rom, which is the next "main story" beat you have to hit. Of which there are surprisingly few, I am finding, reading through part of a guide for areas I've finished. I'm still waiting for my next skill weapon---my skill is at 33, and I like the whip, but I'd like a change. I have very little strength so a strength multiplier weapon is a definite no. And you are most definitely not done with the witches lair if you haven't gotten to the vampire castle yet!

I really like the game but I've ground through several really tedious parts in a row. I hated Rom, I hate the next part in the story, and the Nightmare Frontier is fucking annoying too. Just beat the boss. They introduce a bunch of mechanics that makes this game suck---a crappy boss with ranged weapons, a whole bunch of respawning enemies, another giant poison lake and, most important, frenzy inducing enemies. It is all showing off the worst of this game. Frenzy is the WORST. I have like 50+ insight so I go insane extremely quickly. The monster who causes frenzy is really cool looking (and sounding) but Frenzy is a cheap, unfun mechanic. I have max frenzy resist rune and clothing on and I could still barely kill the monster and quickly take a sedative without dying. Don't get me started on how unfun poison is too.

I'm still playing it avidly, I just think it's starting to introduce some not overly hard but definitely not fun mechanics. Anyway, thanks for posting, I am enjoying sharing narratives.

As for the plot/story, I am intensely interested in it. It's very cool. I think I'm started to piece it together.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2015 02:01 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Apr 2015 09:11 #201163 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Bloodborne
RE4 dudes? What's this? What's this??

More
21 Apr 2015 13:00 #201187 by Pug
Replied by Pug on topic Bloodborne
I'm at Mergo's loft, I probably skipped through a lot of stuff, but it's all good. I got to the big boss of the level, and it's not particularly tough, but a lot of the bosses have one shot kills, and I keep getting hit with it... just gotta be patient. I find I get anxious after a while and lose composure, then I die, a lot. Also, I've been playing offline for some time, which has been interesting.

I've been leveling up my arcane in the mean time, so I can start using some of the cool items you get, as well as benefit some weapon stats.

Barnes, I also turned away when I saw those tentacle dudes... I said the exact same damned thing too "Nope" and walked right back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Apr 2015 13:04 #201188 by Gary Sax

Black Barney wrote: RE4 dudes? What's this? What's this??

There's a great scene that references RE4. There are essentially a bunch of guys who look exactly like Ganados or whatever who have snakes that pop out of your head and lash at you, they look very close to the tentacle monsters in RE4 and on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Apr 2015 13:05 #201189 by Gary Sax
Also, just when I'm annoyed... I go to a new place that is totally awesome. Cainhurst Castle is great.

And now I have a rapier with a fucking pistol on it that multiplies skill reasonably highly (not quite as well as the whip). Definitely going with this for a while, it's sweet.

More
21 Apr 2015 13:40 #201194 by Black Barney
Hey so I've never played any of these types of games but Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin just got released on Xbox One and the reviews are really strong (3rd best rated game. Maybe I'll delve into this difficult stuff soon...

More
21 Apr 2015 16:03 #201221 by Michael Barnes
The difficulty is an illusion. These games aren't nearly as hard as people make them out to be, especially if you have experience playing games prior to, say, 2005. Old Castlevania games are "hard". Contra III is "hard". Battletoads is "hard". These games aren't so much hard as they are intolerant of sloppiness, incompetence and unpreparedness. They are very old school in a way though, in that pattern recognition, timing and repetition are key qualities. You practice, you get better. You pay attention, you realize that the giant, screaming Cleric beast has a side he favors because of one of his arms is smaller. Suddenly, what was intimidating is overcome with skill and observation. These games ARE punitive though, and if you go running into an unknown area carrying a ton of blood/souls...then you're an idiot and you will be punished accordingly when you die and lose all of them that you have accumulated.

I would say that there are parts of Resident Evil 4 that were much more difficult than most of Bloodborne...but yes, Bloodborne has some pretty obvious RE4 homages and references...but it may actually be a better game than RE4. Wow. I said that.

I think you would really like them Barney...I actually haven't played DSII, but I hear it is the weakest of their games...which means it's still awesome, but maybe a little redundant with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It's the only option on Xbone though, so there's that.

Anyhoo...Cainhurst Castle. Probably my favorite moment of the entire game was that spectral coach pulling up to whisk you away to the castle. That is pure, classic gothic horror. And then inside...the crying women cleaning blood off the floor, the ghosts...what an awesome area.

But see, I was an idiot and went charging around in there before taking the time to observe. I didn't have nearly enough blood vials, and very nearly got killed by one of those freakishly upsetting spider-things. I had some blue elixir so I disappeared and ran in the castle. I didn't have much trouble with the enemies in there, but I burned through all of my blood vials up on the parapets, right after I found the executioner's garb. 0 vials. And I realized...I had not found the lamp yet!

So I panicked, mainly because I know how these games are and if I didn't find the lamp, I might lose access to the area if I got killed. So I frantically ran around looking for one, scared to death to go back out in the snow because I knew those spiders would kill me. I used another blue elixir and more or less desparate, I went back to where I was dropped off to see if I missed a switch or something. There was nothing. So I headed back into the gates and there was the lamp...right by the door. I missed it like four times.

I got that rapier/pistol, which I call the Whiskey in the Jar special ("I first produced my rapier...and then produced my pistol"). It's pretty good, but it's definitely best for 1 on 1 encounters since it's a stabby thing.

I loved finding that shortcut down in the cave that goes ALL THE FREAKING WAY to the clinic, how awesome was that. I got to where I guess Iofseka is, but she said some mean things so I fled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
21 Apr 2015 16:10 #201226 by Black Barney
Wow, great post. That's good to hear that there are parts of RE4 that are harder than most of that game. That totally flips my perception.

There is only one part in RE4 that I finally genuinely very difficult and it's the crank room in the castle. You have to really outsmart and be tactical in that section, there's no shortcut or trick.

Parts that are practically impossible if you don't know what you're doing are dealing with the Right Hand in the tunnels and the Salazar boss fight

..actually Chief Mendez is a really tough fight without a rocket launcher

More
21 Apr 2015 18:58 #201249 by Gary Sax
You should DEFINITELY play Bloodborne before you play a Dark Souls game. The combat is much better in Bloodborne, even if it comes at the cost of a little RPG stuff.

More
21 Apr 2015 19:08 #201251 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Bloodborne

Michael Barnes wrote: The difficulty is an illusion. These games aren't nearly as hard as people make them out to be, especially if you have experience playing games prior to, say, 2005. Old Castlevania games are "hard". Contra III is "hard". Battletoads is "hard". These games aren't so much hard as they are intolerant of sloppiness, incompetence and unpreparedness. They are very old school in a way though, in that pattern recognition, timing and repetition are key qualities. You practice, you get better. You pay attention, you realize that the giant, screaming Cleric beast has a side he favors because of one of his arms is smaller. Suddenly, what was intimidating is overcome with skill and observation. These games ARE punitive though, and if you go running into an unknown area carrying a ton of blood/souls...then you're an idiot and you will be punished accordingly when you die and lose all of them that you have accumulated.

So what you're saying is... these game are hard.

I mean seriously, I get that people want everyone to jump into these games without feeling like the difficulty will be too much for them, but for a lot of people... the difficulty might just be too much for them, and that's ok.

I started Bloodborne last night and I was tired and worn down from the day and the game proceeded to kick my ass up and down. I played Dark Souls, I get how these games work, go slow, be careful, spend your souls (blood) often. It still beat my ass.

If your definition of "hard" is only limited to games like Battletoads (ridiculous unfair pattern memorization with zero margin for error) or Ninja Gaiden (Horseshit knockbacks, instadeaths) or nearly any NES game with bullshit controls, or it isn't hard because there's unlimited lives and continues, then no, it's not "hard" in that sense.

I'd argue, though, that those old NES games were just relics of an era when developers and designers just didn't know any better, and didn't quite understand that playing at home needed to be a very different experience than playing in an Arcade where a game needed to suck as many quarters as quickly as possible.

By any contemporary measure, Bloodborne and the Souls games are very hard.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds