October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Bloodborne

More
27 Mar 2015 00:21 #200002 by Gary Sax
Bloodborne was created by Gary Sax
Thought I'd start a thread. I will be putting spoilers in here, but I'll try not to go crazy and spoiler tag any specific boss stuff or anything like that.

I've never gotten into a souls game, though I have dark souls. This game does a much better job setting a tone with an awesome intro city---the intriguing hook of "the hunt," these hunters and beasts wandering around, etc. Really awesome intro area from that perspective.

But man, since I'm bad and I die a lot these loadings times might be the death of me. I'm sure they aren't so insufferable if you die a little less often, but they are grim. I cannot get the riposte timings with the guns right and it is fucking me over so badly.

I got to the bridge with the werewolves, who fucking murdered me, and then I got into this loop where I got fixated on killing the big guy in the armor right next to the gate you open at the very beginning to practice. I think it was quite a bad decision on their part to restrict leveling up until you beat the first boss (I read this), it is very frustrating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2015 06:01 #200004 by Pug
Replied by Pug on topic Bloodborne
For riposting, it's just a matter of practice. Some enemies are more difficult to riposte because their attacks are a bit harder to time. The game does make it rewarding to successfully riposte, since you can effectively one shot most small enemies (at least at the beginning of the game), and makes some boss battles easier. I still struggle with my timing, but am getting better with more practice.

For leveling, you can level up before beating the first boss. I died the first time fighting the first guy there, and I was able to level in the hunters dream (after you acquire your first insight by meeting the first boss)

The werewolves on the bridge are a pain at first, I recommend shooting a pebble at one of them and try taking them out one at a time (molotovs work great, but can be difficult to time depending on obstructions)

I was making progress in Old Yarnham, when I decided to jump off a small ledge, only to realize I was all the way back at the beginning of Old Yarnham again, and then I fell off a ledge and died... Gotta love it.

More
27 Mar 2015 10:42 - 27 Mar 2015 10:46 #200022 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Bloodborne
I am getting to the point where I can get the stagger with the pistol (on the easy first level enemies) a fair amount of the time, but I always get the stagger when they've already finishing most of the their animation and hurt me. So it doesn't help to stagger the huge guy with the axe midcharge if he's almost done with the charge anyway and kills me.

I realized that I could at least buy armor with the souls, even if I couldn't level up. So I got to the wolves and then turned back around and went back to the hunters keep and bought all the armor and stocked up. It wasn't much but it made me way less annoyed to at least bank some progress in a meaningful way by buying the initial armor set.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2015 10:46 by Gary Sax.

More
27 Mar 2015 11:56 #200030 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Bloodborne
Playing a Professional- threaded cane and blunderbuss. Giant fuck-off sideburns that connect to the moustache, like a god damned poacher. Hit level 23 last night Beat the Cleric Beast, but not by myself. I had to ring the bell and "Duelbear" showed up to help. It was still kind of tough, but the classic Demon/Dark Souls (or Monster Hunter) tactic of rollin' up and stabbing in the butt/groin worked.

Other notes:

You can definitely level before the first boss. I _think_ what triggers it (if you don't mind a spoiler) is when you encounter Father Gascigone. He destroyed me the first time I saw him, and back in the Hunter's Dream something had changed and I could level up. Leveling is much more like Demon's Souls than Dark Souls.

Speaking of Father Gascigone...I tried like six times to beat him last night, four times getting down to literally one hit. Will try again tonight. I'm not really sure if when y'all are saying "first boss" if you mean him or the Cleric Beast.

Did y'all figure out what to do with the pig? There's a sneaky way to do it.

Buying the armor is sort of waste of blood because there is a similar (but not quite as good) set you can find early on. That said, if you're just going to lose the souls from dying anyway, might as well bank them in gear. That's an interesting aspect of this system, that you very much DO want to bank experience when you can in equipment or upgrades. Don't wait. You'll be sorry.

Staggering, I don't have the timing yet on that either but when you do get the riposte, it does a TON of damage even with the cane.

The werewolves are super vulnerable to fire. Lob a couple of Molotov cocktails at them and they are VERY easy. I keep meaning to see if the torch is actually effective on them, but I forget to try.I love how you see them and you're like "oh, I tore that one up earlier, this will be easy". And then they kill you.

The big guy in armor is...I don't know what the deal is. He's pretty hard for appearing at such a low level area, but he doesn't really offer much of a reward and there's nothing in his little area.

Did you guys get Iofeska's Vial in the clinic? I did, and accidentally wasted it. I've been meaning to check to see if she'll give you another one.

I haven't actually tried any of the other weapons, but I almost bought the repeating pistol. The Blunderbuss is nice because it has a nice spread and it can give you a second of crowd control. The cane is great, it lacks punch but it's quick and has great reach when it converts to the whip.

WTF is Bloodtinge? I can't see any impact anywhere for that stat so far.

More
27 Mar 2015 12:30 - 27 Mar 2015 12:31 #200035 by Gary Sax
Bloodtinge is your ability to use firearms. So if you have a high firearms skill it provides a multiplier to most guns and any weapons with a gun attached (there is a least one I saw in a very early lets play before I embargoed because I was going to buy it).

I think first boss is supposed to be cleric beast, but I'm not sure.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2015 12:31 by Gary Sax.

More
27 Mar 2015 13:34 #200043 by Pug
I was intimidated by the giant pig, but it's not so tough once you lure it out into the open (has relatively low HP)

I can't remember if I got Iofeska's Vial... have to go back and revisit that area again, does it do anything special?

Cleric Beast is the first boss I think, or sub-boss, since only after killing Father G can you access the next area. Cleric Beast was a tough fight at points because the camera would go all wonky because of the tight space, but still a fun fight.

Has anyone tried to co-op with friends yet? I still can't figure that out... I know how to summon other people, just not friends. Have to look into that at some point.

More
27 Mar 2015 13:44 #200044 by Gary Sax
I've never used it, but I saw a video on it before launch. There's a way to set a password on your coop session, so you set the password and then communicate it to the other person. Then they're the only person who can join your game when you ring the right bell or whatever.

More
27 Mar 2015 17:01 #200052 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Bloodborne
I didn't think about luring the pig...I did something else. Right before where you get to Father G, where the fireball trap is, there's a ladder that's really easy to miss. Climb down there and you wind up in the sewer BEHIND the pig. And the doorway is too small for it to get through, so you can kind of stand there and just jab it to death.

REMEMBER- you are NEVER cheesing it in one of these games. If it works, it works!

Haven't seen anything like where you could shoot that dragon in the tail with 200 arrows or whatever yet.

The vial is just a healing item, I think...but you know how these games are, talking to her may have some kind of impact later on or having it/not having it may result in some kind of consequence.

Big monsters+3D movement=terrible camera. Always. There's just no good way to do it.

My Bloodtinge is really low, that must be why the blunderbuss does such pitiful damage. I've been viewing it more as a c-c-c-combo breaker more than anything, you can effectively cancel lots of enemy attacks with it.

My fucking god I love this game.

More
28 Mar 2015 00:09 #200062 by Pug
I only found that ladder near the fireball trap after clearing the first area, go figure, but that's what makes the game great, lots of hidden surprises everywhere you go... keeps me wanting to play.

Absolutely agree about the cheesing part, if you can use something to your advantage, then do so. Everything in this game except for the hunter's dream is very oppressive... might as well do what you can to survive!

My bloodtinge is pitiful, I don't think I've upgraded it once. I'm more concerned with endurance and vitality for now, but I might invest in some later on in the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Bloodborne's version of "Blight Town" or "The Gutter" is this time around... if there is such a thing 'shudder'.

Certainly a game that warrants a PS4 :)

More
28 Mar 2015 10:00 - 28 Mar 2015 10:16 #200067 by Gary Sax
I found the two werewolves much harder than the boss (Cleric something?) after them. I beat it on the first try last night! On my last blood vial and out of molotovs, of course! Great fun. I'm hooked now.

Bloodborne is way better than Dark Souls. That's just for me. I think it has to do with less bullshit but the same core gameplay experience. There are like 6 attributes, not the 10 attributes of before with 4 of them being completely incomprehensible. I haven't encountered many weapons, but they are quite different than one another. Etc, etc.

Fundamentally, the combat is also way faster paced and more satisfying. It helps that the first area before the cleric beast is a VASTLY better experience than the one in Dark Souls (prison), which teaches you almost nothing and then unleashes you into a place where you can go like 2-3 different directions and two of them are wrong and will kill you.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2015 10:16 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Mar 2015 10:53 #200069 by Gary Sax
Also, I'm still undecided on a weapon (haven't invested in anything). I'm a milquetoast so I could develop in almost any direction. What weapon are you guys using? Why?

The saw blade that I'm using is fine but I'm a little bored with. I'm thinking of buying the kirkhammer. I also saw there's a spear people get too. I don't want to invest in anything if I'm going to bail to a different weapon.

More
28 Mar 2015 11:16 - 28 Mar 2015 11:17 #200070 by Pug
The werewolves aren't too bad, as long as you can separate them using a pebble, you just have to dodge back when they do their pounce attack and then you can jump attack them and do quite a bit of damage.

I just entered a new area... and the combination of enemies is intimidating. It's difficult to juggle long ranged enemies and the little bastards that rush you... but I'm loving it!

For weapons.. I've invested the basic bloodshards in all of them really. Bloodshards become common enemy drops, so there's no shortage of those. The twin bloodshards on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Perhaps after a while enemies will drop those... but haven't seen that yet. I like the Kirkhammer quite a bit so I've invested into that (4 upgrades, one was a twin bloodshard), but as new weapons unlock I will certainly consider those as well... I don't think there's really a 'this weapon is better than that one' in this game, since each one has it's own unique advantage and disadvantage. I like the cleaver's swift attack motion, since it keeps enemies staggered for longer, but I also love the Kirkhammer's two handed mode for backstabs. I enjoy the versatility the game offers, it presents you all these choices, but there's no right or wrong one, just the one you make.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2015 11:17 by Pug.

More
28 Mar 2015 12:19 #200073 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Bloodborne
Sounds awesome. Maybe I'd better buy a PS4.

More
28 Mar 2015 12:20 - 28 Mar 2015 12:21 #200074 by Gary Sax
One thing I found I hadn't been doing before was switching to the long form of the trick weapons. I was inexperienced so I was just using short. I found much of the time against normal enemies, esp ones without much health, it's really helpful to use long form even at the sacrifice of some time.

I'll keep my eyes open for the twin bloodshard things and think about conserving them a little. I haven't seen any yet.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2015 12:21 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Mar 2015 15:37 #200081 by Pug
Yep, I forget about switching to the long form of the trick weapons often... I do find that the long form is a bit trickier to use on faster enemies, especially the slower, hulking weapons. However, on giants it works wonders, just have to position yourself and sidestep when necessary. That being said, the Kirkhammer, when fully charged does devastating damage, and I feel nothing but glee when that hammer lands on someones noggin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.593 seconds