October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Lifestyle Games

More
30 Nov 2022 18:51 #337135 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Lifestyle Games
1. Not currently because I don't really want to be sucked back into a scene that I won't necessarily have time/money/attention for.

2. Save me, jeebus. Yes. So many. I was a pretty hardcore RPGer when I was much younger and we played everything from D&D to TORG. But we were also regular board gamers, which is how I discovered things like Dune and CE. But then Magic arrived. I think you and I (Shellhead) were both at that Gen Con where it was introduced. I was a regular tournament player and constantly at Neutral Ground in Garden City, MI, which is where I met the Donais brothers and Erik Taylor and Pat Chapin and a bunch of others. It was mostly constructed for all of us, but Erik, Pat, me, and a few other regulars drafted every Tuesday night at a shop in Ann Arbor for a couple years. But I finally got out of the tournament scene because my mind was locked in on it and I wanted to do other things. I had slowly gotten into everything that GW produced (40K, Fantasy, BFG, Man O' War, Mordheim, Necromunda, etc.) while I was still playing Magic and once I'd been out of the cards for a couple years, traded my entire collection for an assload of more models. I don't want to think of how many thousands I spent on models and paint. We did tournaments. We hosted tournaments at our local shop. We were completely involved. But then my regular group all drifted away to jobs and so forth, so I got out and determined that I just can't do lifestyle/collectible stuff anymore. It just becomes too obsessive for me.

3. I was interested in the camaraderie of people like me who were really into whatever we were into, but I was very interested in the storytelling of RPGs, the competition of deckbuilding in Magic, and both competition and the ability to tell a story with your particular army/fleet/gang in GW's stuff. I also enjoyed the painting for a long time, but another reason I gave it up is because I burned out on painting (several hundred Skaven will do that to you) and I didn't want to play with unpainted stuff, in addition to not wanting to buy anymore. But my avatar on this site and several others is still the picture of Ryujin that I used for my Dragon Lords Space Marines. I really liked the background I came up with for them and it's just kind of stuck around.

I guess I kind of answered #4 in the course of answering the others. No more collectible stuff for me. Can't do it. I already have a board game collection problem as it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2022 05:03 #337138 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Lifestyle Games

Smeagol wrote: Stopped playing right around the time of the Ard' Boyz torunaments GW promoted. Reason I quit: GW constantly pushing things and the endless grind required to keep up become tiresome.

I lol'ed. I remember when every single faction book release had massive power creep. And it was always tied to a brand new miniature. Either a new hero, siege unit, or type of unit. They would also retire older units or even older factions. I started out with wood elves and bought and painted some Ents, gone with the next edition. Squats? Gone is sixty seconds.

GW was truly a pioneering mobile gaming company before we had smart phones. Thing was their stand alone board games were outstanding. Man o' War was great in all it's versions. Realms of chaos was truly a marvel of chaos (no way I was modeling my hero's legs turning into a slug though) even if it had a buying hook (Oh, I just got three beastmen followers, guess I gotta buy two blister packs). What a nice trip down memory lane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sadaf00

More
01 Dec 2022 09:26 #337142 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Lifestyle Games

Jackwraith wrote: But then Magic arrived. I think you and I (Shellhead) were both at that Gen Con where it was introduced. I was a regular tournament player and constantly at Neutral Ground in Garden City, MI, which is where I met the Donais brothers and Erik Taylor and Pat Chapin and a bunch of others. It was mostly constructed for all of us, but Erik, Pat, me, and a few other regulars drafted every Tuesday night at a shop in Ann Arbor for a couple years. But I finally got out of the tournament scene because my mind was locked in on it and I wanted to do other things.

Yes, I was at that GenCon. As each day went by that long weekend, I saw more and more people playing this colorful card game. But I didn't get around to trying Magic until a couple of months after GenCon, and spent that convention just playing different tabletop rpgs and shopping in the Great Hall. Two weeks after the convention, I was DMing an adventure for my Stormbringer campaign and noticed that two players were playing Magic during the session. Initially, our group of friends stuck to strictly untuned starters and big five-color decks that involved zero tuning but much shuffling. I only had a couple of starters and a handful of booster packs, so I violated the local meta by building a slightly focused red-black-blue deck. I won a few games, and then everybody started tuning their decks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sadaf00

More
01 Dec 2022 15:09 #337152 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Lifestyle Games
Life’s too short to spend it in dull first time/learning games.

More
04 Dec 2022 01:18 #337193 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Lifestyle Games
It's weird but the older I get, the less interest I have in boardgames that AREN'T "lifestyle" games. My friends and I pretty much only play Warhammer, Necromunda, and Bloodbowl now.

There's an engagement level between sessions that you just don't get anywhere else. We spend the week between games sending each other photos of our painting projects, negotiating hostage deals in Necromunda, thinking up narrative scenarios, etc . Every year we have a Blood Bowl tournament with prizes and trophies and the whole deal. I even got my daughter interested in painting and she's almost done with her Sisters of Battle combat patrol box. She's turning into a damn good painter and enjoys going to the game store with me and that's been such good bonding time.

Hell, half the fun of game night is spending the first half hour gushing over someone's new minis, terrain, etc, and spending the last hour talking about and laughing at the misfortune of others (usually me). There's just so much more to get excited about and stay interested in for us with Warhammer than just playing a one-off game of Root or whatever where when it's over it's just....over. Now what?

I think if "lifestyle" for you means keeping up with a meta or tournament scene or whatever then, yeah, that would get draining real quick. I've never understood playing games like this with strangers who you can't point and laugh at (for the rest of the week) when their best character ends up on fire and falls off a building.

More
04 Dec 2022 12:26 #337198 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Lifestyle Games
I totally get that. If I still had a regular group around to have that kind of social interaction with over painting and terrain and other stuff, I might still be into it (the madness of GW pricing might be a problem, but...) But, yeah, especially if your daughter is into it, I can see how that would be your main gaming outlet. That's very cool. I do occasionally pull my massive Skaven army out of the basement and gaze wistfully at it. Would be cool to get a game in of 7th/8th edition one of these days. Of course, right now, I really just want to try Cat in the Box...

More
04 Dec 2022 12:32 - 06 Dec 2022 00:45 #337199 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Lifestyle Games
^^This is a very good post, Blatz. It captures these additional positive externalities of playing this sort game in depth that don't happen in game. I don't have an in-person community, but I love talking deck building and ideas in arkham lcg with friends in discord, on this site, and looking through deck ideas on arkhamdb. And, crucially, those conversations aren't about how good the game is, "review" style discussions, thinking about buying games, or anything meta hobby related.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2022 00:45 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
05 Dec 2022 21:27 #337240 by Del Toro
Replied by Del Toro on topic Lifestyle Games
I came to say why Blatz said, but he said it better than I ever could.

Age of Sigmar has me in its grip. I know and play with a group of 10-15 people on a weekly basis. The store stays open late Friday nights and one friend described it like being in somebody’s basement. Friendly and fun.

GW is does their best to keep AoS balanced and it’s in an okay place. Much better than 40K. Though right now, Ogors are busted. The one guy who plays them at the store went 5-0 at a local tournament this past weekend and is putting them on the shelf because they are not that much fun to play.

I like the shifting meta and the release of new stuff. Keeps it vibrant and interesting. Makes for fun podcast listening.

I’ll never be a top player. I’m too busy and perhaps too old. But I’m the recent months I’ve improved and feel good about it. There is a lot to discover and do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds